Power Loss - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2004, 08:39 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13947
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jaykirs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Power Loss

I did a search and didn't see where anyone else has mentioned this "problem". When I test drove my 04' SVTF, it had a lot of get-up-and-go, especially in the upper RPM range. However, after I took delivery of my vehicle (2 weeks ago) and I have been driving it around, it seems like it has no upper RPM power any more. For example, when I launch off the line at full throtle, I don't feel it pulling very hard and it seems to take a while to reach 7K RPM, and it doesn't feel very energetic at all. Has anyone else noticed this in their car?

The power is flat all the way up to red-line, I don't feel it pulling harder after, say, 4K RPM like I remember. Is it just me or is something wrong with the car? I am using premium fuel btw. Any info will be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2004, 09:24 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10460
What I Drive: 04 Infra-Red focus SVT 3 door #434 of 1978 Born November 11th 2003

FF Reputation: 1 svt medic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Take it to the dealer and tell e'm what your telling us. I would bet,though not from experiance, your second stage runners are not activating or opening up, they do this for more power at 5000 rpm. i have noticed about 5250 on my car or its 5000 and I don't feel it till then.
( VVTI This)
(SVT Squad # 198)
Old 10-19-2004, 09:50 AM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 11110
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Kyguy Good Standing Member
Maybe your dsi clip broke?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:06 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13118
What I Drive: 2003 InfraRed SVT 5-door, loaded -

FF Reputation: 1 Fordson Good Standing Member
If the DSI clip breaks, the intake defaults to the short-runner (high-RPM) position, not the low-RPM position. You would have high-RPM power, but not at low RPM, which is the opposite of what you describe - so I don't know what is wrong with your car.

Another poster told you to take it to the dealer and tell them exactly what you told us. That will result in the dealer saying, "in a car you took delivery of two weeks ago, you're launching at full throttle? Have you ever heard of a break-in period?" They will find a way to blow you off, and this will flag you as a problem owner who is hard on the vehicle, which sounds about right.

This isn't the last issue you're going to be having with the car if you drive it like that.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:37 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

I was using that scenario as an example, I should have said I notice it when I am trying to pass another vehicle on the highway, so no need to be judgementle, the car had almost 600 miles on it when I bought it and now has over 1500 so I think it is "broke in". Anyway, thanks for the help svt medic.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:13 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13118
What I Drive: 2003 InfraRed SVT 5-door, loaded -

FF Reputation: 1 Fordson Good Standing Member
Dunno - 1500 miles is kind of soon for full-throttle, and I still would not tell the dealer that because you're going to get blown off.

Anyway, what I said before I still maintain - it's not the DSI clip. You would have normal power from 5K to redline with a broken DSI clip, and you are saying that it's a dog at high RPM - so a busted DSI clip is probably not your issue.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:21 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13499
What I Drive: black 02 focus svt

FF Reputation: 1 Wailabod Good Standing Member
if it was teh dsi cable you would be hearing a god aweful sound, i just got mine fixed, do you hear any valve clutter, it might be something as simple as a timing problem
Old 10-19-2004, 11:34 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

No, no valve clatter at all. The car runs just fine except for that issue. Any ideas on how I could find out myself if it is the second stage runners were not activating?
Old 10-19-2004, 12:37 PM   #9
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Any ideas on how I could find out myself if it is the second stage runners were not activating?

From FF member rollout; Clicky here

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.