Getrag Tranny Fluid - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2004, 08:47 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7904
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 sidney61199 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Getrag Tranny Fluid

I searched and searched trying to keep from starting a new thread but I could not find a correct answer. My question is plain and simple, I am going to change to Royal Purple tranny fluid but can not tell which kind to get. It seems everyone is running the Synchromax http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/scmax.html but a few people swear up and down that it takes the Max-Gear http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/mgeara.html . Can some one please straighten this out for me? I know that SVT says stay with the ford stuff but they say that about the motor oil too. I would just like to go with Royal Purple and would like to get it right the first time. Thanks for any info.

This is also posted in the Ford Focus Technical Chat but I thought I would try here also. Sorry if I pissed anyone off by double posting, just trying to get a reply. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2004, 09:57 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12930
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus, 01 Silverado Z71

FF Reputation: 1 RockyNBullwinkle Good Standing Member
it is the SYNCHROMAX, the Max-gear is exactly what it says a gear oil, only it's for differentials and what not, I believe some larger manuals that require that heavy of a wheight can use the Max-Gear as well. I don't know where they are getting there info but I wouldn't put the max-gear in there. Generally when a lubricant is referred to as a gear oil it goes in the diff.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:19 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1895
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 rayrevolver Good Standing Member
HOLD ON!!!

The synchromax says for cars whose MANUAL transmissions require AUTOMATIC fluid. I don't think our cars require Automatic fluid.

I use the max gear, 75W-90, just like the manual says.

I think you are very very mistaken here, Rocky.

Gear oil is for transmissions and rear ends.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:03 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Ok, I just did some research and came up with more questions...

The problem is the Motorcraft Full Synthetic Transmission Fluid (XT-M5-QS) that is supposed to go in our trannys per my 2003 SVT Manual is also the same stuff that is used in the MTX-75 regular Focus manual tranny. http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...f/mantrans.pdf

So this says it is a tranny fluid, not ATF.

The RP site says the to use the Sychromax (ATF) to replace the XT-M5-QS.

What gives?

Anyone know for sure? I don't mind making a switch if I can get away with the thinner ATF fluid.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:20 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Umm I'm pretty sure if you dig your head out and read my post you'll see that I did say that GEAR OIL IS USED IN LARGER TRANSMISSIONS. Geez!! Come on guy really are you that dense that you can't read. I know what gear oil is used for.

WE DO NOT HAVE A HEAVY DUTY TRANNY, go ahead and run the max gear if you want. Don't matter to me.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-19-2004, 10:47 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Oh yeah here's my facts for you:
This was taken from the RP site listed at the bottom:

FORD
Manual Transmissions XT-M5-QS spec Synchromax®
WSD-M2C200-C

http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/tranxref.html

You said it yourself, and you listed the facts to back me up, I'm running Synchromax and have no problems. I guess to each his own.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:55 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

First, I am sorry for saying you are wrong. But every other car I have owned reguired GL4/5 gear oil in the transmission AND rear end, like my 300ZX.

The Motorcraft site does not say to use an ATF oil, but a "Manual Transmission Fluid", which is a gear oil.

Ford is very unclear in the 2003 SVT manual. At least it says 5w-30 for engine oil, but does not specify whether ATF, 80W, 90W, 75W-90, 75W-140 or whatever is required.

And then the Motorcraft site says nothing about the their Full Synthetic Transmission Fluid.

Reading through some sites, they say you can get away with ATF in most manuals, but once you start working them hard, they don't protect as well.

I am asking, how did you make this decision?

And remember, sometimes transmissions are called gear boxes, so don't think a gear oil isn't made for a transmission and just rear ends.

Look at this
http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/tranxref.html

Are you saying every VW comes with a heavy duty trans?

Calm down. I am just asking questions to try to get the correct answers.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:57 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

hehe, I just posted the same link!

Did you use that page to make the decision?
Old 10-19-2004, 11:00 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Per the RP page we both posted:

FORD - Manual Transmissions use Synchro
FORD - Transaxles use 75W-90

We have a manual transaxle. What do you use???
Old 10-19-2004, 11:14 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

I went to Kwiklube on NorthPark Drive in Kingwood Texas. I purchase all of my RP products from them, the guy that worked there first came out and greeted me and was asking all kinds of questions about my car. He's infactuated with the SVTF!! After asking him which was the right fluid and after looking at RP site and Motorcraft site I came to the conclusion that I could run Synchromax safely. BTW the site you listed states that XT-M5-Q6 Replaces the F2ZZ- part number which is the SAE 80W manual tranny fluid.

I'm not saying that some trannys don't take gear oil. I'm just saying ours doesn't, per the manual it takes FULL SYNTHETIC MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID. The translation to RP I couldn't tell ya. I'm relinquishing command of my car to my wife here shortly so I wont be abusing it. I'm not too worried about it.

No hard feelings I hope. I understand that Manual Trannies take Gear oil generally but I don't believe that's the case in our situation. I could be wrong, I hope someone else posts so that we can clarify this.

I'm getting confused now, how about you?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.