zetec controller??? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2004, 12:14 AM   #1
/fail

Fan#: 2799
What I Drive: F150 FX4

Points 9,721, Level 66
Points: 9,721, Level: 66 Points: 9,721, Level: 66 Points: 9,721, Level: 66
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 rfinger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
zetec controller???

I was wondering something today. Well everyone knows how different companies have "VTEC" controllers and how it supposed to help those engines out quite a bit. Well does anyone make them for the ZETEC??? If so is it worth the money??? Thanks for all the time and input as usual.

"When everything works, it's a sheer joy to drive." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2004, 05:41 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5962
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 blee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I think there are some threads here that touch on this topic already, but they might be hard to find.

Basically, Zetec is just a name for the family of engines that SVT modified to install in the Focus. VTEC is an engine technology that switches cam profiles to mitigate the consequences of having a four-cylinder engine; the idea is to enjoy high fuel economy, but also to have decent performance by providing more torque at lower RPMs and more HP at higher RPMs. In the classical model, this was done by physically switching cam profiles at a certain RPM. I think this is still done in modern VTEC engines, but there are some variants such as i-VTEC that are less performance oriented and more economy oriented. Some VTEC systems control both cams, while others control only the intake, etc. etc.

The SVTF engine uses a variable cam on the intake, but IIRC the design is closer to iVTEC than anything. I don't believe the cam profile switches at any particular point, and I also have read some anecdotal evidence that the VCT system doesn't do much for performance. That's not to say that there isn't anything to be had from that approach, just that no one's gotten much out of it yet.

OTOH, most SVTF owners do feel a surge of power at around 5000 rpm, particularly in first gear. This is from the DSI (dual stage intake) switching from long runners to short runners. The effect is similar to VTEC, in that long runners provide good torque (relatively speaking) at lower RPMs and good horsepower at higher RPMs. Playing with the point at which this switchover takes place might net you a little bit of power, or at least modify the hp-torque curve to something that might suit you better. But it's always a trade-off, and moving that point ahead or behind will affect your torque and horsepower inversely.

Short answer: No, there isn't a "Zetec controller" like there are some VTEC controllers out on the market, and the technologies behind the engines are not that similar. You can't modify a VTEC controller to work on our cars. There might be some power available from tweaking cam or intake profiles, but not just through software like the VTEC controller. If anything, a good set of cams and a computer reflash would be the best way to realize decent n/a power gains. I'm saving up for FS's set myself.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:56 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11347
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow Power Premium ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zslaton Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by blee
OTOH, most SVTF owners do feel a surge of power at around 5000 rpm, particularly in first gear. This is from the DSI (dual stage intake) switching from long runners to short runners. The effect is similar to VTEC, in that long runners provide good torque (relatively speaking) at lower RPMs and good horsepower at higher RPMs. Playing with the point at which this switchover takes place might net you a little bit of power, or at least modify the hp-torque curve to something that might suit you better. But it's always a trade-off, and moving that point ahead or behind will affect your torque and horsepower inversely.
Playing with that transition point in the runners may actually make the engine worse. That's because the passive superchargin effects that each of those runners are supplying by utilizing the reflectionso f the valve pulsations to drive more ai and fuel into the engine are heavily dependent upon the intake manifold physical geometry. Thus, that transition point is pretty much dictated by geometry. You could always try adjusting it, but my guess is that is has already been pretty well optimized by Ford.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:38 AM   #4
I miss my Turbo SVTF

Fan#: 6849
What I Drive: 1988 Mazda 323 GTX

FF Reputation: 1 Darth Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Actually, I have the ability to control the DSI switch over and I had mine set for 5K LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG before YRFO!

5250 rpm is the BEST Spot, right at the Hp/ Tq. crossover point!

I can actually 'break em loose' (if the conditions are right) at 5250 when the DSI switches.

I'm working on a kit to control the DSI for others...just takes time, and want to find the best solution for everyone with out having to buy an Apexi Rev/ Speed Meter and a Tach Driver. That alone is about $200-300. I'm shooting for the $100-150 area.

Its winter, work gets slow, and I start racking my brain for Ideas...I just brought back the Traction Control Killer...
Corksport IC, CFDF Clutch, 2.5" Turboback, Konis,
Suspension Tech Springs, 22mm Rear Sway, + More.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:26 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11347
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow Power Premium ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zslaton Good Standing Member
Pimpin your own product in a post has worked! I have forwarded it to my father since he is looking for a traction control kill switch.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:20 PM   #6
I miss my Turbo SVTF

Quote:
Originally posted by zslaton
Pimpin your own product in a post has worked! I have forwarded it to my father since he is looking for a traction control kill switch.
I wasn't trying to "pimp" it persay..but, glad you noticed. I'm hoping to sponsor FF.com and hopefully bring some cool stuff. The DSI controller is up on my list as a LOT of people asked about it in the past (those that actually read signatures).

Didnt mean to Jack the thread, but, thanks for passin that along!

(Drop me a PM too when you get a chance!!)
Old 10-18-2004, 11:12 PM   #7
/fail

Points 9,721, Level 66
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
how would i know if my svt has tc or not i mean i havent seen it in any of my paper work or anything

Old 10-18-2004, 11:17 PM   #8
I miss my Turbo SVTF

Quote:
Originally posted by rfinger
how would i know if my svt has tc or not i mean i havent seen it in any of my paper work or anything
Does your center console look like this?

*Note: Buttons near shifter

The bottom left buttom (switch) is the TCK activation switch. Thats my console with the "Winter Package." The "snail" picture (actually a spinning tire, but we can probably all agree it looks like a snail) is the OEM T/C Off switch.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:32 PM   #9
/fail

Points 9,721, Level 66
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
nope dont have that does that mean that i dont have tc??? also i heard you talking about DSI in one of your posts on here what is that

Old 10-19-2004, 11:55 AM   #10
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Good for you on the "non TC" equipped SVT.
You'll get a lot better launches than those of us that do have it.
I got it, due to our winter weather.
It comes "bundled" with the Winter Package.
Heated seats, traction control, engine block heater, and heated side mirrors.

DSI=Dual Stage Intake.
The runners switch from long to short at 5,000 or 6,000 rpms depending upon which flash your computer has.

EDIT:
Ah ha. '04 model. Your runners switch at 5,000.
Grab a flash light, and open the glove box.
Look to the right at the computer, and you'll see a 4 charachter alpha-numeric code.
I'll bet it says ZED0.

EDIT-2:
To test your DSI, check out this write up by FF member rollout; Clicky here

Last edited by WD40; 10-19-2004 at 12:41 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.