The journey so far. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93254
What I Drive: 2002 SVTF Red

FF Reputation: 1 Beakergoboom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The journey so far.

Hello everyone, I just picked up my first SVTF about a month ago. I needed a car that was more reliable and cheaper to run than my PoS Cobalt.

Found the car on Kijiji in London, ON. The guy was asking $4000 for it. When I called he knocked $1000 off right away. I drove to London (approx 4 hours from me) and had a look. Now the guy claimed that the original motor had been destroyed by a 10min oil change place and that he insisted a brand new crate motor be dropped in. Also he worked for a scrap yard so he had a shedload of spare parts. Unfortunately he was also an idiot and most of the parts wont fit this car. Regardless I bought the car for $2800. There are 200,000km on the clock and an unknown amount on the 'new' motor. Drove it back home with no problems whatsoever. The car came with a Borla catback and a 'claimed' Centerforce stage 3 clutch.

The focus passed the e-test and safety inspection with flying colors, the only thing I had to do to it was replace the O2 sensors for a CEL. Later I found out that the idiot that owned it had jammed a GM micro fuse into place of a normal fuse for the O2 Heater circuit and it was blown.

I did start to notice a few problems once I started using it as my daily driver. If it was cold overnight I would have to floor the gas pedal to get it to start. Also if I was being a bit energetic in my driving the power delivery was not smooth, it was lumpy. I was getting brief dead spots at various RPMs. Also when I parked on a hill the car would not hold itself in position if I just left it in gear. Great now I'm thinking I have low compression, head gasket most likely. I had hoped that the head gasket would hold out until the summer and I would do it and the timing belt all at once.

I didn't get my wish, about 2 weeks ago I started it up to go home from work and it was misfiring on every cylinder. F#$%. Had it towed to my buddies place and we started tearing it apart. Found out that, yep, the steel head gasket had separated. New motor my @$$. I changed it, the timing belt, tensioner and idler. Got it almost all done last night. We noticed that the #4 (where the head gasket was pooched) spark plug had tracking up the side of it from repeated misfires. Also discovered that the #4 plug wire would not snap onto the new plugs, probably the cause of the misfires. That's where we left off last night, it was about 10pm and probably -15C outside, we had enough.

So today I am going to pick up a new set of plug wires, probably motorcraft, and change the oil and coolant. And if I have any luck left at all, hopefully get it running and back on the road. All in all I think I am into it about $450 in parts, which isn't too bad really.

In the summer I hope to have a bit more money and will be able to do a few things to it. The stripes are looking a little worn out, rear bumper is broken, and there are a couple rust spots starting. I would like freshen the car up basically and if the funds are available add a pro-charger kit. For now I will just fix the little things that come up and hope I don't blow it up further. When it isn't so disgusting outside I will try and get a few pictures of it. It really is a great looking little car. I love driving it, way more than my cobalt. It feels more energetic and has way better handling. After it broke and I jumped back in the cobalt, all the controls now felt dead in that car. Like the clutch and shifter were not connected to anything at all. I cant wait to start tearing around in my focus again. I think I am converted, no GM ever again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50639
What I Drive: Wait.. What Day is it?

FF Reputation: 2 moosehead89 Good Standing Member
Keep your chin up man, you'll get it right!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93254
What I Drive: 2002 SVTF Red

FF Reputation: 1 Beakergoboom Good Standing Member
Got everything done today and got some good results. It runs! Seems to run well, haven't noticed anything leaking yet. Has posted a code twice P1381 - Camshaft timing advanced bank 1. I think I remember reading somewhere on here to expect that code after having the cams out. Time to do a bit of research.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Banned

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

Points 10,722, Level 68
Points: 10,722, Level: 68 Points: 10,722, Level: 68 Points: 10,722, Level: 68
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
good luck
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.