The latest victim of road debris >:o - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12823
What I Drive: 03' SVTF

Points 669, Level 13
Points: 669, Level: 13 Points: 669, Level: 13 Points: 669, Level: 13
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 rent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Angry The latest victim of road debris >:o (updated with pictures!)

I was on my way to the bank earlier today, driving behind a lifted F150. The guy in front of him was a beat-to-hell S10 with a bunch of crap in the bed... well he hit a bump which ejected a emergency size spare out of the bed and into the road. The F150 went right over it, but being the season of horrendous traffic, I was boxed in and unable to dodge it.

So far, this is what I know is broken or messed up :

Front Drivers side rim bent, tired torn up the inner sidewall
Headers bent up and in, as well as having some nasty dents in them
Front O2 sensor almost snapped cleanly in two
Rear O2 is bent

The entire exhaust assembly was pushed up and back, so it smashed one of the fluid lines for the power steering rack. The oil pan made it unscathed (phew!)

Beyond trying to get my rim repaired (no cracks, just bent), does anyone here know how to get a hold of just the power steering fluid lines (its the one that sticks out of the center of the rack towards the cat).

The stealership would only sell me the gear assembly for the rack which was $280... not quite what i want to spend. Is this a common part, should I just grab it from a salvage yard (if I can find one)?

Arrghhhh

'03 SVTF *FOR SALE*
'14 FoST Ingot Silver, bone stock...

Last edited by rent; 12-27-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Obama Can't Gymkhana

Fan#: 36697
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 86 BMW E30, 10 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 62 WUGcatsvt Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
The best way to get a power steering line for the SVT rack is to find someone parting out an SVT. I had mine pinched in a wretch and had to find by doing this because I couldnt find another replacement.

See if this guy has one
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/bst-archive/272608-fs-svt-parts-need-gone-open-offers.html
gumpcrew#10
Gulf Coast Region #12 - Me-45 DSP
My Girl-451 DSPL
Old 12-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 669, Level 13
Level Up 38% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUGcatsvt View Post
The best way to get a power steering line for the SVT rack is to find someone parting out an SVT. I had mine pinched in a wretch and had to find by doing this because I couldnt find another replacement.

See if this guy has one
FS- SVT parts need gone-open to offers!!
I'm having it looked at today to see if I can get the line either replaced or repaired at a local mechanic -they quoted a worst case scenario as under 350 dollars, and seeing as its only one line, I hope it will be much much less than that.

Otherwise I'm going to check out the local scrap yards and the thread you mentioned. Thanks for the link :D

Edit - So the shop I took it to fab'd a new line for me, which was a bit pricey. If I had more time to work on the car, I would have sourced the part off of a junkyard, but I need her back sooner rather than later. I'll take pictures when I get to disassembling the header and exhaust.

The guys at the shop didn't notice any other significant damage, thankfully. Hopefully my rim can be repaired and I'll almost have her back to 100%

'03 SVTF *FOR SALE*

Last edited by rent; 12-12-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

Points 10,752, Level 68
Points: 10,752, Level: 68 Points: 10,752, Level: 68 Points: 10,752, Level: 68
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
you should sue that guy
Old 12-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

Points 8,445, Level 61
Points: 8,445, Level: 61 Points: 8,445, Level: 61 Points: 8,445, Level: 61
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
^^Yeah, PLEASE tell me someone got his effing tag #!
I had a similar situation, with a drunk driver taking out (and dragging) a mailbox, and the ball of concrete that had held it in the ground, around... I got close to the intersection where the passenger was crawled under the car trying to pull what they'd hit out, and the guy jumped in and they tore ass in front of me; the car dipped hard when they gunned it and a shower of large chunks came sliding at me. PISSED! The car actually stopped moving when the oil pan hit it, and started moving again as my car broke it.

Good luck with the repairs! It might help if you write down what you remember about the car... in case you ever see it again.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Points 669, Level 13
Level Up 38% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile30 View Post
^^Yeah, PLEASE tell me someone got his effing tag #!
I had a similar situation, with a drunk driver taking out (and dragging) a mailbox, and the ball of concrete that had held it in the ground, around... I got close to the intersection where the passenger was crawled under the car trying to pull what they'd hit out, and the guy jumped in and they tore ass in front of me; the car dipped hard when they gunned it and a shower of large chunks came sliding at me. PISSED! The car actually stopped moving when the oil pan hit it, and started moving again as my car broke it.

Good luck with the repairs! It might help if you write down what you remember about the car... in case you ever see it again.
Didn't get the tag. There the F150 in front of me blocked most of it out, I could only tell the make/model (beat to hell, blue Chevy S10/GMC Sonoma).

If my tire hadn't have gone flat I would have chased him down... Whoever it was knew it something came out of their truck because they started to slow down and pull to the side before they saw me doing the safety dance trying to get my car on to the nearest side street. As soon as they saw me pull off, they took as fast as that POS could go.

'03 SVTF *FOR SALE*
Old 12-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80691
What I Drive: 2013, White ST1

Points 514, Level 10
Points: 514, Level: 10 Points: 514, Level: 10 Points: 514, Level: 10
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 DanUSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You can always try watching that spot around that same time of day and see if the guy drives by again. This really sucks - I hope you can find the guy.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 669, Level 13
Level Up 38% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanUSVT View Post
You can always try watching that spot around that same time of day and see if the guy drives by again. This really sucks - I hope you can find the guy.
As much as my inner hunter/stalker wants to do this, I don't have the time to do it. Allen is a smaller city, chances are that if whoever it is lives here, I'll seem them again in the next few weeks. Hopefully by then I'll have stopped seeing red.

The car is now driveable, but I had to put my stock rims on. I've got to say that the Ultraleggeras I have are super freaking sturdy for what it went over, my header took more damage than the rim did.

Parts are on the way, if anyone knows where to get some decent O2 sensors for a good deal, please let me know. I'm crossing my fingers that the rear one might still be good, but we'll see.

'03 SVTF *FOR SALE*
Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 4,134, Level 40
Points: 4,134, Level: 40 Points: 4,134, Level: 40 Points: 4,134, Level: 40
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 14 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I would definitely file a police report and also file with my insurance. No WAY would I let some idiot go off scott-free and have to pay repairs out of pocket.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Points 669, Level 13
Level Up 38% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
I would definitely file a police report and also file with my insurance. No WAY would I let some idiot go off scott-free and have to pay repairs out of pocket.
Well, the way it sits, I can attempt to file uninsured motorist with my insurance and still pay the deductible and have my rates go up in the future, IF they approve the claim. And my deductible is more than the cost of parts (at the moment...)

It is what it is, and while I love my car, its just a car. It can be repaired, fixed, or replaced if necessary. It pisses me off that some douche would drive around with a truck bed of unsecured shit, but I can't do anything about it, almost a week later at that.

Still looking for any responses about O2 sensors... if they're all the same, I'm going to get the cheapest ones I can. Anyone have any input?

'03 SVTF *FOR SALE*

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.