new guy with some problems - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92453
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT 3door

FF Reputation: 1 CutterJFlywheel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
new guy with some problems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and have some problems with my '04 SVT 3 door. I have done multiple searches and have not had success with suggestions so I thought i would go to the source.

Dash lights- I have a 1 hour+ commute at night. After 45 miuntes of might driving, my dash lights go out. I tired a new light switch and tonight on my way to work they died at the 50 minute mark. I just installed the new light switch yesterday. Any other suggestions on what maybe causing this?

Wipers-Anyone else have a problem with there wipers when on delay at highway speed "climbing" up the windshield?
Also, anyone know where you can get a rear wiper motor for a ZX model car? Mine has been stuck in a vertical position for 2 years now and I can not locate a replacement.

Lastly, Cutting out-Occasionaly I will start my car and go to drive and the engine will cut out. Does it randomly, cold, hot, after I drive it, when it sits over night, I just never know when it"s going to happen. When it does though, it kills my milage. Tried a new TPS with no success. Replaced Coil pack, plugs, O2 sensors and plug wires. Seafom in the tank, fuel filter and use Lucas every fill up.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84411
What I Drive: (2) 2oo2 SVTF One Sonic, One Red

FF Reputation: 1 SonicPDX Good Standing Member
First off...Welcome to the FF family.

Dash lights (1 hour total) - It could be the El transformer is in the aux oil pressure/temp cluster. It runs over to a underlay in the gauge cluster. OR it could be the EL underlay that lights up under the gauge face (has two red wires that run to it on the top of the cluster when you pull it out). These have a crimp connection that goes through the EL material to make a connection and frequiently work them selves out or fail because of heat. I have tried to repair them with moderate success. Doubtfult that it is the dimmer/switch but possible.

1. Remove the 3 philips screws from your gauge bezel.
2. Lower your tilt stearing as far as it will go.
3. Pop off the upper colum plastic (that wraps around the top of your wiper/signal switches) Just pull up.
4. Remove bezel by pulling straight out with the top section of the colum going through the top of the stearing wheel towards you.
5. Carefully remove the wire connector that is connected to your Hatch release.
6. Set Bezel aside
7. Remove 4 7mm bolds holding the gauge cluster in place with a 7mm driver or wrachet and extention.
8. carefully pull the gauge cluster out so you can reach behind.
9. remove the wire connector at the top (EL Power High Voltage 2 red wires)
10. Reach behind and you will see a white connector with a black clip that connects the main wiring harness to the gauge cluster. PUSH the black clip from passengers side to drivers side and it will disconnect the harness.
11. Inspect the red wires at the top of the cluster where it connects to the EL backlay for brown marks or loose connection. You can plug the EL Back in and click your switch on to see if slightly moving these effects your lighting. DON'T grab the connection where it meets the EL backlay while powered! it will be shocking....

PM me if you get this far and determine it is the EL backlay in the gauge cluster. I will give you a few options for an efficient way to replace without changing the cluster.

WIPER- (30 minute job) Relay R18 and R19. Use only post TSB relay ending in BB from Motorcraft (Not duralast or others from auto parts store)
1. Remove fuse panel cover on the drivers side interior
2. remove the 2 7mm screws facing you on the right and left.
3. Pinch the pull tabs at 9' and 3' on the fuse panel.
4. Push back and up slightly (to release the 2 bottom tabs)
5. Your panel should move back and down so you can access R19-R18 relays
6. Replace relays and reverse steps.

Can't help you with the cutting out.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92453
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT 3door

FF Reputation: 1 CutterJFlywheel Good Standing Member
Sonic-thanks for the detailed steps addressing my problems. I will try these out this weekend and hopefully I can return this $90 headlight switch I just bought.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84411
What I Drive: (2) 2oo2 SVTF One Sonic, One Red

FF Reputation: 1 SonicPDX Good Standing Member
No Prob.

Hit my PM if you get in there and need any assistance.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.