Car in for surgery - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2004, 09:18 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9564
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dudley123 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Car in for surgery

FINALLY, I had been waiting for a definite answer. My car has been in the shop since monday and prolly wont be out till friday. They took it in after i had to take it in and shove the service managers head into the car to hear the clutch chatter. Anyways they have it and i went in today to look at it and they let me in the back. The car is up on a lift totally gutted, no cv axles, NOTHING, the tranny is sitting on the ground, pressure plate is sitten there. I have a friend who works at the ford dealership and he is the mechanic working on my car. The intake is sittin there on the workbench. IT is just sad to see it there all ripped apart. The clutch has all these hot spots on it, it was warped, the throw out bearing is all jacked, and the clutch plate itself was all torqued down on the motor still, he lowered the car and said wiggle the clutch around. I was like WHAT, yea the clutch just is all bolted in and it is moving, literally it was loose in there. So they ordered ALL new stuff. Pressure plate, TOB, Clutch, flywheel. Anyways im glad to actually get it done, and that they are doing it. I was worried they were gonna try and weasel their way out of it. But thankfully its gettin done. I only have bout a month left on my car. For any info on clutch replacement it was an 02 SVT 17500 miles. Thanks and i just had to get it all out. Thought somebody would like to know. Ill let you all know how the new clutch feels. Also for anyone that had it done. How long is the clutch break- in period?

SVT Squad #76
2002 Infra-Red SVT
Performance:
HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, FC ORP, Steeda STS, HIA Intake, Prothane Tranny Mount Inserts, Hypnotic tune,
QTP Cutout, NX Wet Kit(soon to be Direct Port), SVT Head .030 Milled, Ferrea Stainless Valves, Cometics HeadGasket, Port Matched, Intake/Exhaust Ports, ARP Head Studs, MUCH MUCH MORE, Done PM if interested.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 10:02 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12930
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus, 01 Silverado Z71

FF Reputation: 1 RockyNBullwinkle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Could you please describe your type of driving, do you race, are you one of those leaders of the pack to the next stop light kind or people, Did you baby it, are you a conservative driver, Do you beat on it ocassionaly (literally with a hammer i mean J/K)?

I've got 14500 on my 02 and I'd like to know a time frame to start listening, I keep thinking that I'm hearing it but then it goes away. A clunking sound is what I hear. Also the car makes a clunking noise whenever I shut her down.

Key off: Clunk clunk clunk
Running CLUNKCLUNKCLUNKCLUNK
Old 10-12-2004, 10:08 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3801
What I Drive: 2003 Yellow Euro Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 EuroSVT707 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I definately have this horrible transmission sound. I can always hear it if I put it in neutral and let the clutch out fast....it makes the repetitive sound.....kind of a clunking of loose nuts and bolts LOL, but when I put it in neutral and let the clutch out very slow it does not seem to make the sound?!?!?!?!
Old 10-12-2004, 10:13 PM   #4

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
dudley123 I wish my dealer would do that for me. Mine is in right now for the same issue, but the only thing they want to do is replace the throwout bearing. I have this sinking feeling that the sound will be gone, but then come back and I'll have to do this all over again. I asked them at least twice "so, you checked all the TSB's on this?" and bugged them about the TSB's and they still don't want to do anything other than replace the bearing.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:18 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

SVT4ME, take my advice from the other thread about your situation. CALL SVT. I haven't had mine done yet as I just said in this thread. But I have dealt with the service department enough to know that sometimes you've got to kick them in the ass.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:21 PM   #6

The only reason I'm reluctant to call in SVT on this matter is I want to be in good standing with these people, it's the only SVT dealer in the near area and I don't want them pissed at me because I went over their heads. Would you want people who were pissed at you working on your car?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:35 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

No I wouldn't want them pissed at me, but It's a chance I'm willing to take. SVT dealer or not if they're not going to fix it the way that FORD tells them to (that's what TSB's are for) then they shouldn't even bother and SVT and Ford alike should be notified that they have shotty ass dealers and Service departments.

No one likes to do warranty work, it only pays flat rate and the dealer is given the parts from ford. Parts sells is where service departments make most of their money.

We need to start taking a stand against this corporate giant and there minions.

You don't have to heed my advice, and I honestly hope that they fix it with just the throw out bearing. But per the TSB they have to replace all the parts if topping of the fluids don't fix the problem. It does not state to replace one part at a time, Please call ford or SVT. When I was at the dealer last time they gave me the run around about the REFLASH. I asked them if I should call SVT for the TSB numbers and so they could tell them how to look it up and install it properly. They changed their tune after that, I'm willing to play that card again come "Clutch" time. NO PUN INTENDED
Old 10-12-2004, 10:44 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Yea, i Called SVT and told them. They said they were required to look, ONLY if they had reasonable doubt. Well that doubt was the damn rattle. The same thing. The clunk clunk clunk, i really didnt experience. It sounds like a single marble in a coffee can. Only when the clutch is out and in neutral. Driveability wasnt bad, it starts slipping, and i mean. I drive aggresively. I'm 16. lol. No i do not slam gears constantly nor gas it everywhere i go. I have to pay my own gas, and when paying the car payment, you really have a respect for that gas needle. Anyways. I ran it at the track probably a total of 15 times. They were hard launches, dropping the clutch at 4500. Thats the only way to get decent times are to beat the hell out of it unfortunately. But as far an normal daily driving too school and work, i would shift at 3500 and not let the clutch slip. I really didnt slam any gears unless racing, so NO i didnt abuse it. Biggest thing i think is that the friction points change. ITs REALLY wierd, like you leave a stop light normally and the next light u come to the clutch grabs at a totally new point. That was a symptom i think, and the noise obviously but as far as daily driving it was ok, i mean it would go into gear fine, and would grab ok, but if you have a noise it IS NOT the Throw out bearing. If you think about it the TOB has pressure on it so it couldnt rattle, i mean if it was going to rattle it would rattle when the clutch is pressed down when the TOB has no pressure. So tell the Service center that. Just get them to tear it out and let them see that clutch wobble back and forth and the TOB alll chewed up and the hot spots. THe entire pressure plate was warped. All due to the wrong torque specs, and such from the factory. And for anyone else that wants to know, everyone who goes in with the TSB 4-12-2 is gonna get the updated clutch parts. They had a BOLD CAPS stating NEW PART NUMBER. I actually read the whole TSB, i mean the one they print out from ford. It was REALLY extensive. they tell them they are supposed to spec the old one. Measure with a micrometer, and such. I asked the mechanic and he said if we tear it apart and find everything to be in spec only to hear that the rattle is still there, it was a waste of our time and yours, so they would rather replace it and be done with it and fix it than spec everything out and such. So my suggestion to everyone is to take it in and MAKE them look at the clutch, ONLY if you are have the noises or other symptoms, and when they see that crappy thing they call a clutch they will order a new one.
SVT Squad #76
2002 Infra-Red SVT
Performance:
HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, FC ORP, Steeda STS, HIA Intake, Prothane Tranny Mount Inserts, Hypnotic tune,
QTP Cutout, NX Wet Kit(soon to be Direct Port), SVT Head .030 Milled, Ferrea Stainless Valves, Cometics HeadGasket, Port Matched, Intake/Exhaust Ports, ARP Head Studs, MUCH MUCH MORE, Done PM if interested.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:47 PM   #9
Focus Addict

ANOTHER thing. YOu WILL have to bully your way into it. Thankfully the small town dealer played into my favor and were generally nice about it and said "yea sure" we will look at it. The bad thing. Owning an SVT in this damn town doesnt get u any respect. I have NO loaner vehicle, I GUARANTEE no car wash when done. SO its that kinda stuff that pisses me off.
SVT Squad #76
2002 Infra-Red SVT
Performance:
Old 10-12-2004, 10:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by dudley123
...like you leave a stop light normally and the next light u come to the clutch grabs at a totally new point.
Ho boy do I know that one, sometimes it has bucked and almost stalled on me because I was expecting it to engage at a different point than it did.

I guess perhaps tomorrow morning before the dealer has a chance to finish up I will call SVT and see what they say. I mean it can't hurt to call SVT first, before telling the dealer that I'm going to go straight over their heads. If SVT says they should be doing more, then so be it. I do want it fixed right the first time, I just don't want to become "that guy" that sends all the employees running for cover when they see the car roll in.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.