Bogging and Clicking - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2004, 05:47 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 14185
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue 5-door SVT

FF Reputation: 1 BlueGnat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Bogging and Clicking

Joined this forum initially to find out about a clicking noise my engine was making, and about the boggy throttle (to the point of being dangerous) when the AC was on. Pretty much found answers/perspectives on both problems from a forum search (wow this place is a great resource!), but now the service manager kind of threw me for a loop.

I'm told that they ordered a new mass airflow sensor, and a new intake. I asked if these were replacement parts just like the ones it's fitted with now (assuming they thought the existing ones might be defective), or if they were upgraded to supposedly fix the problem, and the service manager said they were upgraded - not the same that's on there now. Anyone know anything about this? Upgraded OEM parts for the SVT? Or is it the "woman" thing again and they're blowing sunshine up my ass? I don't really trust these guys for a number of reasons, the most recent being that the service guy intially tried to tell me my bog was because I was starting out in third instead of first, LOL.

TIA for any insight.

(P.S. They said the clicking was caused by the idler pulley, which they replaced.)

:: I heart my "Blue Gnat" :: #1043/1079 Sonic Blue 5-door SVT :: HID, Audiophile, Power Roof :: Born Tuesday April 6 ::
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 07:16 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3468
What I Drive: JDM Mugen Turtle

FF Reputation: 4 sexy2002svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i think it's a case of the "blowing sunshine up my ass"........... but, if it gets fixed for free, who cares!! right?
Old 10-12-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12930
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus, 01 Silverado Z71

FF Reputation: 1 RockyNBullwinkle Good Standing Member
Upgraded to the extent that they are better than what you had because what you got was defective.

That's all though. There are no TSB's that advise the replacement of the MAF or intake. In order to receive an upgrade, Ford is not going to make a couple of "upgraded" parts, thus there hasn't been a TSB make mention of this as of yet so there is no UPGRADED part.

I'd like to see the dealer prove me wrong, leave an update when you get a chance.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:10 AM   #4
Focus Rookie

Thanks much for the input. My butt is feeling mighty sunny. I'm going to call the SVT number and find out about these "improved" parts, because if the case is that they're not really "improved" I don't know that I want them messing with my car more...I'd rather take it to an SVT certified dealer (that I now know about thanks to this forum).

Oh, and even though they replaced that idler pulley, of course it still clicks. Sigh.
:: I heart my "Blue Gnat" :: #1043/1079 Sonic Blue 5-door SVT :: HID, Audiophile, Power Roof :: Born Tuesday April 6 ::
Old 10-13-2004, 10:33 AM   #5
Banned

Fan#: 3742
What I Drive: '05 COBALT SS

FF Reputation: 1 SVT03 Good Standing Member
I had a clicking sound in my car when the clutch was disengaged..but, when I engaged it, the sound went away. Dealer replaced my flywheel, slave cylinder, and clutch..now it's fine. Does it sound like it's coming from your tranny?
Old 10-13-2004, 04:55 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

No, it's definitely an engine noise and not related to the clutch. It stays in sync with the RPMs, too. That's great/encouraging that your issue was taken care of the first time.

We found a SVT certified dealer in the next town (Sil Terhar in Broomfield), and my husband's going to take it there tomorrow so the service manager can drive it. He (svc manager) keeps telling me the bog is normal for a 4 cyl. All I've ever owned is 4 cyls, and I've never experienced bog like this.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:11 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Clicking is probably the injectors... mine does it and it's got 1800 miles on it. From what I hear, it's pretty normal for SVT's.

I don't know much about it being boggy (mine is). I don't know if a new MAFS or intake will help, but I've heard that an aftermarket PCM tune will take care of it.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:37 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3468
What I Drive: JDM Mugen Turtle

FF Reputation: 4 sexy2002svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
keep us posted!
Old 10-14-2004, 02:20 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Update :: My husband took it to Thomas at Sil Terhar today. He, as well as another service tech drove it. Said the bog's normal (damn). My only concern is that the clutch'll wear out sooner than it should, but I guess the upshot is that we'll just have to get our Centerforce cluch sooner, heh heh.

My husband said Sil Terhar was like a whole 'nother world - SVT stuff *everywhere* and they told my husband that because John Elway isn't a SVT authorized dealer, they shouldn't even be selling them (?!). There's at least 6 techinicians at Sil Terhar that're SVT certified. Whew.

Anyway, the intersting part - John Elway ordered the parts - and called us to let us know they're in. Out of curiosity, I called and got the part numbers then called Sil Terhar to find out what exactly they are, and this is what John Elway was going to do to my car:

Mass Airflow Sensor - is for a *non*-SVT Focus.
Upper intake gasket - universal part
Gasket for the throttle body - *non*-SVT Focus part
And, a whole intake manifold.

I called John Elway to ask WTF and they said that's what parts the "Ford Motor Company Broadcast" told them to order.

Supposedly the intake manifold is an upgraded part, but the awesome parts person at Sil Terhar says that there's nothing special about it. No indication in the computer that it's anythiang newer/better than what the car came with.

*Sigh* Long story short - I'm glad I learned (from this forum) that there IS a difference in Ford service for the SVTs.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:00 PM   #10
Banned

Fan#: 3742
What I Drive: '05 COBALT SS

FF Reputation: 1 SVT03 Good Standing Member
Yes there is. The dealership i bought mine from has svt mechanics, and they do an awesome job. Every problem with my car has been fixed the first time! Also, they sponsor the local SVTOA. So you know they're good!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.