sorting dealer "spin" on '04 history - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2004, 10:40 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 9016
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 recharged95 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
sorting dealer "spin" on '04 history

Hey guys,

newbie here, I'm purchasing a new SVT 04 from a dealer (soon) and wanted to know if there are other sources to get vehicle history other than carfax or autocheck (did the free check on both sites & they turned up 0 results, which is good I guess). Why I'm looking is that the car of intersted has the 'old style' 5 spoke wheel vs. the "new for 04" 6 spokes rims. It also has non-continental tires (?). Someone said in another forum that the original wheels were likely stolen. Sales guy is checking with their SVT tech on the reason why it's different & will get back to me today (i.e. something sounds fishy?).

Not sure if the car was repossessed as the dealer mentioned it was shipped from another lot by request, and in the end the interested buyer had bad credit. The car ran excellent on the test drive, had about 100mi on it, and they gave me a killer deal :), so I'm up for it, but trying to get answers on the wheels/history before making the final plunge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 11582
What I Drive: My Wife

FF Reputation: 1 SVTBishop Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
What's your killer deal?

Sounds a bit fishy, get the Euro SVT Rims are MUCH better.

Definatley want the conti's rated high then prolly whats on there now.

100 miles on SVT yea someone at the dealership wanted the tires

I have 04 Euro SVT If it's not what you want or looking for try another dealer, I bet they call you back and give you a better deal, or put the conti's back on with the other rims.

I wouldn't buy the car without the rims or anything else that was supposed to be on it. Look for other dealers
Old 10-11-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

15,900 out the door (incls. 3K rebate)-- Drove the car on a 10mile test drive, felt good. I think I'm going for it right after work.

Yeah, they have FRPP rims, cheap kuhmos (ok), looks like some swapped them out at the dealer...
Old 10-11-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The Dealer can order the original wheels from FRPP. Clicky

If it were me, and I was buying a brand new car,
I'd sure want the original equipment wheels/tires that came with the car.

Don't settle for a cheaper alternative, unless of course,
they want to knock some $$ off the price for non-stock parts.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:18 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 343
What I Drive: 02' Silver SVT RIP 2007

Points 4,354, Level 42
Points: 4,354, Level: 42 Points: 4,354, Level: 42 Points: 4,354, Level: 42
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 lunarc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Yeah, especially for a new car like that, be sure to get what you want otherwise there is a chance the dealer could say, well these aren't factory tires or rims...so we can't cover _blank_. Yah or have them knock more off the price.
2002 SVT Focus #1848
---------------------------
New ride E36 DINAN BMW, Dinan CAI, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Stg1 Suspension, Dinan Stg1 Chip
Old 10-11-2004, 02:39 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3601
FF Reputation: 1 007 Good Standing Member
So here is how this went down. Someone went to the dealership to get on 03 SVT. But the person really liked the wheels on the 04. So to sweeten the deal, the dealership swapped the 04 with the 03 wheels in an effort to get the customer to buy. It's not legal, but dealerships do that crap all the time if they think it will "cinch" the deal. Or even worse, an employee of the dealership owned at 03 SVT and liked the wheels on the 04 so he/she swapped them out, again illegally. Whatever the reason you should not be forced to buy on 04 without OEM equipment if you don't want to, the dealership would have to absorb the cost of ordering the proper wheels and installing them at NO charge to you. On the other hand, if having 03 wheels on an 04 doesn't matter to you (personally I think both styles look good, and they weight the same so there is no performance advantage with either) I would take the car as is.

What would be a deal breaker for me possibly is the miles, not the wheels. 100 miles is a bit much, but the price seems pretty good. Your call. Keep your fingers crossed if you purchase the car it wasn't beat up on too badly in those first 100 miles. Good luck!

[EDIT]Actually, I take back what I said about the weight. I just looked, and the 03 wheels are 3 lbs lighter per wheel. WTF! Now I'm pissed. Whose bright idea at SVT was it to change wheels style for the 04 and make them heavier on a car that is already horsepower and torque deficient!? Plus, why would they want to add more unsprung weight?

Keep the 03 wheels bro, don't complain.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:50 PM   #7
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
OT: Wheel Weight

I just looked, and the 03 wheels are 3 lbs lighter per wheel.
Where'd you see that?
AFAIK, the weights I've seen listed for both '03 and '04 wheels have been shown between 20.5 - 21.5lbs.
EDIT:
According to BatInc (wheel section):
'03 SVTF wheel - 21lbs
'04 SVTF wheel - 20.5lbs
SVTF Euro wheel - 21lbs

Actually, I just weighed one of my wheel and tire combos last night. Came in at 38lbs.
Someone lost a fender retaining screw on the AutoCross course yesterday.
Guess who picked it up?

Last edited by WD40; 10-11-2004 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:59 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 408
What I Drive: 84 Stang / 03 Focus SE / 04 F150 /

FF Reputation: 2 Twofocused Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
If you take the car as is make sure the invoice states the wheel and tire type. If you have any problems they have to fix it under warrenty. I would also compare the retail cost difference between them and insist they reduce the price a like amount. Look at it this way, if I bought my ZX3 and it had SVT rims on it the dealer sure wouldnt have given them to me. Why should you take cheap knockoffs when you are buying and paying for a SVT.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:54 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9731
What I Drive: 2003 Piranha (OS2i4)

FF Reputation: 1 OSSO002 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Don't know for you guys, but I like the 2003 5 spokes better than the 2004 6 spokes. Ask them for a lower price, I'm sure you can get that though.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:33 AM   #10
Focus Rookie

Yes, I checked on the wheels and FRPP says the 04 6-spokes are 3lbs heavier (!), so I'm keeping the 5 spokes since they are the exact style as my stang's Y2KR rims. The tires are another story (Kuhmos, same ones on my stang)... Well, I got them down to 15750 and a good financing rate. So I figured it's a decent deal vs. the risk. I'm still trying to get the "true" facts on why the rims/tires are different, but everything looks new & in working mechanical order at least.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the suggestions , went to closed & picked it up last night... here's a quick one I snapped is this morning (wrex is behind)--
http://www.focusfanatics.com/gallery...cat=500&page=1 (pending approval?)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.