SVTF stalling violently during Cold Startup - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
Regulator...mount up

Fan#: 3062
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVT

Points 5,930, Level 49
Points: 5,930, Level: 49 Points: 5,930, Level: 49 Points: 5,930, Level: 49
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 28 PapoSwing Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
SVTF stalling violently during Cold Startup

Hey guys! I just got my car from the dealer after 5 days of analyzing and treating what the hell was wrong with it.

To recap why I took it in the first place:The car's battery light would come on during low speeds, and it actually stalled while stopping for a red light once, also the car has been over the last month started to violently shake almost to the point of stalling evry morning when I start it up. According to them my fuel pump was not working, so they ordered a new one and installed it.

Well today when I turned it on for the first time it did the same thing. It took a long time for the ignition to hook and the car started shaking almost stalling. When I would apply the throttle it would go up in RPMs, stay there for about 3-4 secs but you can really hear the engine stressing. The it would stop boggin after 2 minutes.

I don't know if any of you have had this problem or have heard about anyone who does. If so please let me know what was done to the car in order to fix it. I'm really worried about this, specially with winter right around the corner.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3468
What I Drive: JDM Mugen Turtle

FF Reputation: 4 sexy2002svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
what year is your SVT? do you have the YRFO reflash? if not, get it done now!!!!
Old 10-06-2004, 09:03 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10460
What I Drive: 04 Infra-Red focus SVT 3 door #434 of 1978 Born November 11th 2003

FF Reputation: 1 svt medic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have an 04 svt and it stalled once in a while when new, never took it in it resolved it self. I have the yrfo reflash. it no longer stalls, watch now i said it and it will.
( VVTI This)
(SVT Squad # 198)
Old 10-07-2004, 08:03 AM   #4
Regulator...mount up

Points 5,930, Level 49
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
My SVTF is an '03. I have heard a lot of this YRF0 reflash, but I don't think I've ever had it done. What should I tell my dealer about this? Should I simply make an appointment and tell them that they need to do this YRF0 reflash on my car?

Also In order to better explein my situation to the dealer could any of you give me some insight into what the YRF0 Reflash is?

Last edited by PapoSwing; 10-07-2004 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:14 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2732
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT Focus / Red Inserts / YRFO Reflash / K&N Drop-In

FF Reputation: 1 Turbo_SVT420 Good Standing Member
the YRFO is an updated computer flash for our cars. it fixes (well supposed to fix) the stalling, the batterylight coming on, and the power surging at lower RPMs. it also makes ur DSI open at 5000 RPM rather than 6000. Tell them your car is surging badly, and the batterylight comes on every now and then when aproaching a stop. they should do the YRFO under warranty.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:46 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by PapoSwing
My SVTF is an '03. I have heard a lot of this YRF0 reflash, but I don't think I've ever had it done. What should I tell my dealer about this? Should I simply make an appointment and tell them that they need to do this YRF0 reflash on my car?

Also In order to better explein my situation to the dealer could any of you give me some insight into what the YRF0 Reflash is?
best way to get YRF0 reflash?
Old 10-07-2004, 07:35 PM   #7
Regulator...mount up

Points 5,930, Level 49
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Thanks sexy2002svt! I was reading through the thread and noticed that even after many people did this YRF0 reflash they still experienced many of the problems. One question where can I get this TSB report sent out by Ford? I have gone to the links given by various members of the forum but the link now has something else that is not the TSb.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:01 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by PapoSwing
Thanks sexy2002svt! I was reading through the thread and noticed that even after many people did this YRF0 reflash they still experienced many of the problems. One question where can I get this TSB report sent out by Ford? I have gone to the links given by various members of the forum but the link now has something else that is not the TSb.
Yeah man, no problem. Yeah, some people did notice the problems even after the reflash.............so i say, if it's a REALLY big problem, then i'd take it in and get it reflashed. If you can manage to live without it, I wouldn't risk the problems that some people have had........The question about the actual TSB report is a good one...........there was a link to it a LONG time ago, but something happend, and it stopped working.......but, honestly, i wouldn't even worry about finding it, i'd just call SVT and tell them that you think your car needs the YRFO reflash, and they should be able to help you getting it done
Old 10-09-2004, 03:56 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 10580
What I Drive: 2002 Red Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 alyosha Good Standing Member
did you check all the stupid things?

Air filter (when it is clogged it could cause some vacuum effects and on cold starts significant loss of power - shakes), did you fill up at the new gas station? Is your fuel filter clean/new?
Old 10-10-2004, 01:25 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13841
What I Drive: 08 Fusion SEL, Focus ST on order

FF Reputation: 1 MISVTfocus Good Standing Member
I took mine to the dealer they reflashed it and then they installed a new intake manifold and said that was the main problem with the stuttering and stalling...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.