Throwout Bearing?? Huh?? Really? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2004, 04:49 PM   #1

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Throwout Bearing?? Huh?? Really?

Okay, so I finally caved in and made an appointment to take my car to the dealer for two things: (1) the brakes are getting weird, the pedal is sinking out from underneath my foot as I'm rolling to a stop, like it's losing pressure, and (2) the rattle from the transmission is getting louder. A few hours later I get the call back, "hey we test drove your car and troubleshooted your brakes, couldn't find anything wrong. Noise you're hearing is a throwout bearing, bring your car back next week and we'll install a new one."

So, my question is: how can this rattle that for all the world appears to sound like what people have described on here before as an issue with a loose flywheel, be the throwout bearing? The noise GOES AWAY when I push in the clutch. I thought throwout bearing made noise WHEN you pushed in the clutch. Or can it go either way? And why the hell are SVT's getting clutches, flywheels, and whole transmissions replaced left and right and my dealer only wants to replace the throwout bearing? I swear to God, I don't know if my dealer is taking the "one step at a time" approach and they want to replace that first and see if the sound goes away, or if they just don't care; every time I bring it in I mention how I keep hearing these cars have a tendency towards transmission problems and how they have multiple TSB's and every time the response I get is a blank stare and a "gee I never heard of that."

Fix my car DAMMIT! Now I'm going to have to drive around until my brakes actually fail and I crash into something and THEN maybe they'll believe I wasn't full of it about the brakes...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 3173
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Jeffp13 Good Standing Member
Your ford dealer sounds like an idiot. You are right on the mark about the throwout bearing. If it's defective, it will make noise when the clutch is depressed, not when the the clutch is engaged. Your average high school kid in auto shop would have known that.

I'd recommend bringing in the info from this website to the dealer. A lot of them really have no idea what is going on out there (or at least they pretend not to know), so you have to shove it in their face to get a response.

Sorry that you're having trouble though.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:03 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6023
What I Drive: 2003 Competition Orange SVT

FF Reputation: 1 COSVT03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
No they are 100% correct. The throw out bearing is what it says its a bearing (think of a ball bearing accept it will have cylindrical bearings in it accept balls. The noise goes away because when you press on the clutch peddal you smash the throw out bearing into the pressure plate. this does not allow for the throw out bearing to make any noise. I would just make sure that they replace the clutch and flywheel as well via the new TSB.

Bring in a print out of the TSB and explain to them that it says in the TSB to perform certain procedures that its almost 100% likely that your factory parts will not pass. Next let them know your willing to call for to make sure they are fixing the car correctly. They will break down and probably do the TSB.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:44 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4077
What I Drive: '03 Infra-Red SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 FiveDoorSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
My ford dealer is replacing my transmission for this rattle problem as we speak. Under warranty. I didnt expect them to, I figured they would just be replacing the defective parts (clutch, fly Throw out bearing) but they ordered a new one, and my service rep said they are updated parts too. *crosses fingers. Good luck with yours.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Old 10-05-2004, 05:51 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2963
What I Drive: '04 2.3 ZX3 ; FSW/JCM PWSC SVT

FF Reputation: 8 bowersdaazian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
off topic but
are you still gonna be able to make it to the Hami meet?

"Jam Harder, Penetrate Deeper, Dispense Longer"
and
"In God we Trust, All Others we Monitor, Jam or Deceive"
Old 10-05-2004, 10:12 PM   #6

I see we're confused already, one person say the dealer is right, another says the dealer is not. I dunno, I guess I have some time before the part comes in to try and put together some information for them.

As for the NorCal meet, I can't make it. I posted that somewhere once or twice actually in the thread but I guess that got lost. I'm putting the link in my sig to boost visibility of it, the more people that see it, the more people may choose to come!
Old 10-06-2004, 12:10 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12930
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus, 01 Silverado Z71

FF Reputation: 1 RockyNBullwinkle Good Standing Member
It's not called a cylindrical bearing, it's called a roller bearing because it rolls on pins versus balls. Anyways, Sounds like you've been talking to a glorified secretary, uhumm I mean a Service manager. They don't know crap about our cars. Print out the TSB or give them the number, call SVT if they don't comply. The TSB says to top off fluid and check to see if the noise goes away. Then it says to replace ALL of the parts ( bearing, clutch and flywheel).

I think SVT's number is 1800Fordsvt. Not sure though.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:25 AM   #8

Well, I agree that Service Managers are generally useless, but the throwout bearing was the technician's diagnosis. And this is an SVT-certified dealer, so they should have an SVT tech on this (although I failed to ask if that would be the case). I would hope he's right because I don't feel like making repeated trips to the dealer so they can try this part and then that part until they get it right.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:30 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13499
What I Drive: black 02 focus svt

FF Reputation: 1 Wailabod Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ive got an o2 svtf, should i be worrying that im not gettin a new clutch, nothing is wrong with mine, but i hear all this stuff about a recall of some sort. anything helps.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:41 AM   #10

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If you can hear a rattling sound at idle with the transmission in neutral and the clutch released, that seems to be the classic indicator that you have a SVT transmission of death. There is no recall at this time, but there are various TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) about the transmission noise. If you are experiencing no noises and the clutch seems to be working okay, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.