Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Help with CA smog

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  SD_Rider 
#1 ·
I goofed big time. I brought my semi tricked out (na) SVT into CA (Redding) when I moved here. As my only transportation. Including ORP, SRI, dyno tune, full 2.5" Borla cat back, etc. I found the stock intake and can switch back to the stock tune but the exhaust has me stumped!

Has anyone been successful in getting an aftermarket cat connected to an over-sized cat back and passed smog in CA???? PLEASE, anyone?? Just asking at the local muffler shops, they say that there is NO cat listed, CA legal, for engine code 5 (SVT). I can take the car out of state to like Carson City (or even Oregon) which doesn't have smog testing to do the work but it would need to come back in and still pass, even if the actual cat is only "semi-legal". I would just REALLY worry about a shop in CA even seeing my ORP.

Maybe better yet, is there any members who have the ability to help me through even if i have to drive to S CA?

My only other option is to sell my Infra-Red baby online and purchase some cheesy CA sedan.

See less See more
#2 ·
I know several people that have had their SVT's pass with hi flow cats. The cat back exhaust has nothing to do with smog. So what ever it is your running from the flex back is fine. So the only thing you need is either a stock cat or a HFC. Then take it to a shop that does a pre test. That will cost you about 20-30 if it fails. If it passes sweet, if not they'll tell you why and go from there.

#5 ·
Shaddow, If you know of a local shop that can make it happen for an SVT, could u contact them and see if they know of any shop a "bit" further north which could do the same. 600 miles is a bit far for me to drive for a legal HFC (but i am willing). I was hoping for somewhere closer to say the SF area (San Jose, Stockton, Sacramento).

#4 ·
Well, that's kind of my problem. I don't know who to go to who can just "make it pass". I am willing to pay a reasonable amount, hopefully less than $1000 (which I don't have). Also will they freak about my ORP or just give it back to me, to sell on this forum???

norcalfocus01, the relatively large muffler shop i did stop at looked in all their books and could NOT find a HFC for a Focus with engine code 5 which is the SVT. All other models are no problem.

#6 ·
Don't get a HFC from a muffler shop. Get it from CFM Central Florida Motorsports or Toulsey Ford. Both places sell one. Now just FYI thats taking a chance depending on the shop that SMOGs it. It will pass the sniffer but my not pass visual depending on the tech. Some techs care others don't, hence why I said just go do the pretest. The best option is to buy a stock used cat off someone on the forums. I got mine from a part out. I see them for sale all the time.

#9 ·
Thanks every one. I may have found a "local" used cat. If not that's the path I'll take is to watch this forum for another used SVT cat.

From what i have heard, shops will not install a used cat so i'll need some way to get it installed. I can't even change spark plugs at this apt. :(

#11 ·
Sorry to dig up a year-old thread, but what did you do? and did it pass?

In San Diego...hunting down the same issue. You can PM me, if you want to keep it off the interwebamajiggy. ;)

#13 ·
I'm looking for a stock one.

I have to deal with CA emissions, so I can't use a HFC. And like the original poster, I can't afford $2k for a stock cat.

Everywhere I look says "will not ship to CA" OR "Not California Legal".

I'm going to call around to some local shops to see what they say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.