Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SVT Catalytic Converter - Source for Reman or Perf Replacement needed.

22K views 56 replies 25 participants last post by  cfmfocus2 
#1 ·
I have had my SVT parked for 2 years now as I havent been able to source either a remaned Stock Cat or an aftermarkent unit that is bolt on.

My last attempt earlier this summer had me contact CFM but I had no luck.

Are there any other sources for what I am looking for that will allow me to avoid Fords replacement cost of $2500. (what are they smoking?)

I have searched this forum prior to joining and again today but seem to run accross sources that are no longer valid.

Thanks in advance. Mark

#3 ·
man, 2 years. i would have found a muffler shop and had an aftermarket cat welded on or bought the ORP. we dont have emissions testing down here where i live so the ORP may be unusable for you. even if you had to have it towed to a shop, that plus the labor and parts would be far less than the ford cost, thought might be you can find one through tousley ford, they offer quite a discount on OEM parts.

#5 ·
Thanks - I would but since you cant see straight through this thing I'd be concerned about this having blockage like my current one does.

good luck my car has been on jack stands for 2 months with bad cat pipe cfm is jacking around im about to have one made
I shot a question to CFM on their cat. We will see if we can get the interest going here. It was easier to leave it parked as I bought a Solstice GXP coupe for the street and have been busy with some racecar projects. However anytime I did any research for a purchase I ended up with nothing but dead ends. Its been easier to source goodies for the 64 Falcon.

man, 2 years. i would have found a muffler shop and had an aftermarket cat welded on or bought the ORP. we dont have emissions testing down here where i live so the ORP may be unusable for you. even if you had to have it towed to a shop, that plus the labor and parts would be far less than the ford cost, thought might be you can find one through tousley ford, they offer quite a discount on OEM parts.
Talk to me about a source for an ORP. When you say that your just talking about making a generic Cat fit the purpose and adding the bungs for an aft for the 02 sensors?

Thanks Mark

#15 ·
Any of the local exhaust shops that I have dealt with don’t do what I consider quality work. When I originally called many of them up they weren’t great at listening either when I explained again and again that this wasn’t a regular Focus. If I need to have something fabbed then I would want to purchase a good aftermarket performance Cat (suggestions here would be great) as well as bungs and some stainless u-bends for the remainder. This still gets very expensive and if someone it already jigged to do this work like CFM I would rather hit the easy button on this solution and go with them.

If you're thinking about going ORP, then why not just hollow out your blocked up cat?
The O2 sensors read the exhaust after the Cats so this does make a difference in how the car runs and what the computer adjusts for. The open cavity with the catalyst missing does cause unwanted back pressure as well that will rob horsepower. I hollowed out a cat on a 305 V8 Chevrolet and you could notice the difference.

just got an email from dominic says he has cats in stock for $335 does anyone have one of his cats how is the fit seems like guy makes nice stuff
Who is Dominic? Is this an SVT Cat?

I did receive a response from CFM. They said that they were not in stock and they would contact me when they were. I would however prefer an estimate as to when they will be in and have written them back. I can share that answer here as well when I get it.

Thanks Mark

#10 ·
Man I just checked out Dominic's website. He makes some awesome stuff! I'm going to have to order soon. He could use some better website navigation tho.lol

#19 ·
Even with the high flow cat in you have to tune for it to see real gains. The size and shape of an SVT cat lends to hollowing and the improved tune can adjust for the O2 sensor, or even better, be shut off so you can pull it and install a wide band a/f gauge instead.

Posted via FF Mobile

#22 ·
Dominic has the best shit, hands down. I went through a CFM ORp, Jays racing HFC and some other brand ORP.............all broke withing a yr. Doms ORP has been rocking for 2yrs now!!!!! Excellent work and especially beautiful if you have it ceramic coated.

#25 ·
svt3387, when you receive Dominant Eng's HFC would you post pics cause I went on his site and I couldn't find a pic of it. Looking at some of the stuff on his site, I would say that he is TIG welding his stuff together verses MIG welding, I was a pipefitter in a shipyard for 20 yrs and all our welded piping systems were done with TIG, Its a cleaner way of welding and the welded joint is stronger and denser, Its the same type of welding used on piping in nuclear power plants.

#31 ·
Hey guys, seems like I'm in the same boat: I need to change the catalytic converter to pass emissions tests, but my auto repair shop doesn't seem to be able to find a matching one (and the Ford dealer apparently quoted him for $2000). So any advice on where to find a catalytic converter that would fit my 2002 Focus SVT?

Thanks!

#32 ·
$2000 is the price from ford. it sucks.

Now, does NY have the same nazi-ish rules on cats like CA does? You can talk to FSW/CFM/McNews and maybe top speed? about aftermarket cats for the car. They're under $400 iirc. They prolly aren't Carb/emissions legal.

EDIT: http://focus.c-f-m.com/cfm-cat-pipe-for-02-04-svt-focus.aspx

thats the link to an OEM quality part. 2 weeks to build and ship. good luck!

#33 ·
Aftermarket cats generally don't pass emissions tests, beware of them if you really need to pass an emission test. Does NY use a real emissions sniffer or just use a scan tool to look at emission related PCM tests? My understanding is that most places now just use a scan tool to look at the PCMs self diagnostic tests, and if all the monitors (tests) pass, your car is emission compliant.

It actually might be cheapest and most effective to find some OEM cat from a low mileage junkyard vehicle and have it specially fitted to your exhaust, and then get the O2 sensors fitted. If you can find a place that won't rape you on prices, it should be far cheaper than an OEM replacement.

I sold my SVT cat with about 15K original miles for like $90. I feel completely retarded right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.