Getting Short Shifter?? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2004, 01:30 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13499
What I Drive: black 02 focus svt

FF Reputation: 1 Wailabod Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Getting Short Shifter??

If you are getting a short shifter, and installing it yourself, like I did today. Be VERY VERY VERY VERY careful while removing the 4 bolts from the top of the shifter. The bolts are extremely weak and they strip very easy. If your like me you will think it will be easy and you will be done in ten minutes then you willl strip one of the bolts like I did. It took me 2 and a half hours of trying different techniques to get teh bolt out. I finally took a hack saw to the top of it, and then used a flat head bit in a impact screwdriver. just make sure that when ure taking out the bolts to push down hard on them and take it slow, if you get past that part the rest is easy, and if you got the steeda tri-axle, good choice because they are really fun to drive.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2004, 01:36 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13499
What I Drive: black 02 focus svt

FF Reputation: 1 Wailabod Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
They come with good direction, they show u step by step, and you will be able to tell which four bolts imtalking about. They are teh main four bolts, and the only four, plus they are brass, thats why they strip so easy, oh and they are the star screws.
yah i was surprised at how easy it was to replace the shifter, since on my old honda, they have to be replaced fromunder the car, adn that wasn't fun.
-let me know if you need any help, oh and by the way, in my car the shift nob was an extreme bitch to take off, i had to use a towel and some locking pliers.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:59 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8571
What I Drive: red 03 FSVT zx5, 95 eclipse GST

FF Reputation: 1 xgambit Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
pics please
Old 09-28-2004, 02:21 AM   #4
Gan-San!

Fan#: 1411
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 focusonthefocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
xbox... short shifter... hmm...

Focus on the Mountain
Old 09-28-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
itp
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 13103
What I Drive: 2004 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 itp Good Standing Member
They are the four T-30 bolts that you have to remove after removing the shift boot. They are replaced with 4 new non-torx bolts with the Steeda kit.

The instructions (at least, those that I received) did say to apply plenty of pressure while removing the bolts, as they were very shallow, weak, and would strip easily.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:05 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
SHOW US YOUR PICS! :)
Old 09-28-2004, 09:09 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8521
What I Drive: 04 Red Euro SVTF, 116 of 1978

FF Reputation: 1 Baron Von PickleWeenee Good Standing Member
Yep. I stripped 2 of mine when I installed my STS. Pissed me off. I had to pound a socket on to the bolts with a hammer and then remove them with a wrench. Then I went to Home Depot and 4 new bolts with a phillips head. Took me like 2 hours.
SVT Squad #176

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.