SVT Bolt Ons - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2004, 01:37 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11218
What I Drive: 1996 SAAB 9000 AERO

FF Reputation: 1 MIKESSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
SVT Bolt Ons

OK, heres the deal...i want to keep the warranty on my SVT, because frankly I am sick of workin on cars to keep them running. Like my 1985 Saab 900 with 215000 miles. Anyways, I want to get the most out of the car with the bolt ons, but I dont wanna waste time or money on stuff that really doesnt work. One of these might be the pulleys, they really just dont seem to do that much. But then again, ever little bit helps. I already have an AEM CAI on. The other mods I am planning (in this order) are as follows: 65mm Throttle Body, Screamin Demon Ignition, STS, VF Rear Engine Mount, Pulleys. Does anyone have any estimates about the power increases/ET times increases from these mods? I live on Long Island, so my car gets to run at sea level, so it will always run pretty decent times as compared to the rest of the country thats elevated up a bit. So if anyone knows how the gains will be with each of these, after all of em are on, whats worth it, should i do something first, is there something Im missing, etc., just stick up a post. I am sure there are others with my probelm, and I thought this could be a good thread to start to get all the info here. Thanks for all your help and input!

You can check out my site for my car here (some good cosmetic ideas for SVTF owners)... http://www.cardomain.com/id/justdrive220

Please support our troops overseas and at home! Its a tough life in the army!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2004, 02:45 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12918
What I Drive: Blu 02 SVT3

FF Reputation: 1 RR_RER SVTF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, I've seen a little bit of traffic about this. I'm gonna get the STS first. Then I'd get the ignition, TB, motor mount and finally pulleys. That's my plan for now.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3259
What I Drive: 2002 custom black svt #2735 of 4788 born 06/13/02

FF Reputation: 1 caliscustomsvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
i have most of that stuff on my ride they all did there little part but the best by far is the orp
4 t.v.'s, 12"L5 kicker cstm box, 750W fosgate amp, pioneer deck, XM Sat. radio, Dual guage pod/xnenon front bumper, APC carbon tail lights, , fog lights, WW 3pc mid spoiler./intake, exhaust, udp, denso platinums,Ground wires, FS wires, TC cut-off switch, Steeda tri-ax SS, 65mm T.B, Orp, SCT superchip (focus sport).
Old 09-18-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
RR's got it right. that order should do well, though I've heard of a lot of electrical system charging problems from the underdrive pulleys, and the gains aren't really enough to justify the hassle IMO. I'd also get the other two VF engineering motor mounts. focussport has them for $135 each plus shipping of course. also think about a bigger mass air meter somewhere down the line. I've heard that the pro-m mass air helps cure the ever present surge common to our engines.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:10 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1159
What I Drive: SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 JRSCSVT Good Standing Member
Well, the coil pack will do nothing for you. Just eye candy really imo. The stock ignition is good for a BUNCH of hp, no need to mess with that at all. The throttle body will gain you 0-1 hp, the best part of it is the throttle response is increased...worth 300buck, I dont think so. I would do the Motor Mount and Shifter First, they will increase your driving pleasure the most out of any of those mods. Pullies will free up a few hp. If the Ford tech sees that you have changed your pullies it is very easy for them to say drivetrain problems where a result of the pullies. I dont know what your emissions laws are up there, but the FC orp would be your best bang for the buck. Also, an exhaust like Borla will complement that intake and orp (if you decide to get it). Lastly, an adjustable exhaust cam gear, to be put on last, would squezze a few ponies out of the car. Other than that, SVT has done a great job squezzing hp out of this thing while staying CARB legal, so in all reality you can do all the bolt ons and probably max out at around 170whp and 145wtrq.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:28 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Hey guys thanks for the input so far! Im pretty sure now im not gunna screw witht he pulleys, it just doesnt seem worth it. But im still gunna go for the ignition because i need some better gas mileage out of the car. As far as an ORP, Id lvoe to get one, but Im pretty sure that it wont pass emissions in NY. If anybody knows for sure about this lemme know. One question for RR_RER SVTF, did Royal Purple help free up HP? I watched on Horsepower TV one time they took a 1999 SS Camaro and did all the fluids with Royal Purple (Engine, Tranny, etc.) and the car gained 10hp at the wheels. Thanks for everyones help! Keep the info coming! Anyone got any ideas what kinda times I would be running?
Old 09-18-2004, 03:31 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Also, does anyone think that the motormoutns and short throw would improve my 1/4? The short throw def should, but would the motor mount(s)?
Old 09-18-2004, 04:06 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9482
What I Drive: 04 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 2 SVTmonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally posted by MIKESSVT
As far as an ORP, Id lvoe to get one, but Im pretty sure that it wont pass emissions in NY. If anybody knows for sure about this lemme know.
Considering you will be polluting the equivalent of 20 SVT's, I would say...ummm, YES!

I've heard the Royal Purple is great, I'm going to switch to it next oil change.

Your first mod should be the Steeda STS, one of the best mods...a must if you wanna improve your times. Quickens your shifts a lot.

As far as the motor mounts, I wouldn't mind somebody jumping in to tell us some more about these, cause I'm starting to get interested...
Old 09-18-2004, 06:34 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6023
What I Drive: 2003 Competition Orange SVT

FF Reputation: 1 COSVT03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ok I have most of those and this is the order I would buy them

Rear Engine Mount (I dont have it but your gonna need it with the Steeda STS)
Short Throw Shifter
FC 65mm TB (Be ready to fabricate the piece to the MAF Sensor and the TB
Power Distributor Screamin Deamon and Live wires (HUGE for High End makes the car respond a WHOLE LOT faster at anything over 50MPH/4500rpm)
FC Under Drive Pullies (Make the 65MM TB respond a whole lot better)
I have the Focus Sport Cool-Flo Intake (But I think im going to get the AEM 2 Part CAI)

Thats what I have And I can keep up with my buddies 14 second Mustand at 60+
Old 09-18-2004, 07:14 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1159
What I Drive: SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 JRSCSVT Good Standing Member
Ok, seriously guys, take it from me. The ignition does NOTHING for power you will see no increase in power, and if you feel like you have more power after installing it, one you are imagining it, or two, something was wrong with your stock ignition...you may see an increase of 1mpg in mileage MAYBE. Other than that your stock ignition is more than stout enough. I know what Im talking about here fellas.
No, the short shifter will not gain you any time in the 1/4 mile. It will simply help you shift quicker, which will equal less than a tenth of time.
The motor mounts reduce engine movement, making for easier shifting and a better "feel" for the road. If you are worried about straight line accel, you have bought the wrong car. This thing was not meat for the drags. The motor mounts may only help in the 1/4 by reducing wheel hop, which I doubt you have a problem with when launching, other than that they do nothing besides reduce engine movement and hlep shifting. What kind of gains are you looking for the in the 1/4? The bolt ons your are talking about getting wont drop your times that much. If you are worried THAT much about warranty you really shouldnt be modding your car at all, and just wait till the warranty runs out to start modding it.
Other than that I would do the same order Orange said above my post....other than the coil pack...there is no reason at all you need to run that thing, the increase in mpg will be probably less than 1 mile, if that. If guys run over 300+hp in their svts and use the stock ignition, I think youll be fine too.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.