Throttle cable - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2004, 11:32 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11834
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 kragan76 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Throttle cable

I am in the middle of installing a FC SVT throttle body and AEM CAI (no better way to spend a rainy Saturday in the garage) and I have the old TB off and have removed the cruise control cable but I don't know how to remove the throttle cable. I took the metal clip off but don't know what to do next. Do I just force the rubber part of the throttle cable over the little nob or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2004, 06:09 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3468
What I Drive: JDM Mugen Turtle

FF Reputation: 4 sexy2002svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
sorry i can't help you, because i haven't put mine one yet, but what did you use to join the throttle body and the AEM CAI? good luck......
Old 09-18-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6023
What I Drive: 2003 Competition Orange SVT

FF Reputation: 1 COSVT03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
A good way to get it off is to use some WD-40 or Penetrating lube and spray it then take a pick and stick in on the inside of the rubber and use it to pry it gently over the metal ridge without tearing it! I wish I had pictures of when I did it but I was having too much fun.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Ok, well I put both pieces on. Reconnected the battery. Started up the SVT and it ran horrible. From the posts that I have read I thought to myself, ok just give it some time. Drove it around a bit, a couple bursts at WOT, stoped at a couple lights to let it idle. Well at idle it drops to about 500rpm and sputters and wants to stall. I drove around for about 15 - 20 minutes that way before taking it home. So sunday I removed the battery cable again, hoping that another reset of the ECU was all that was needed. Left the battery disconnected for a good half hour. Then reconnected and went for a spin. Same thing happened, this time with the CEL on almost the whole time. Drove back to my garage and removed the FC TB and put the stock TB back on and everything is fine.

It seems that the only problem is at idle, the rpms are dropping so far, it looks like down to ~500 rpms. When I am on the gas it seems OK, the throttle does stick a bit (like I have read other people post). There does seem to also be an increase in what sounds like a backfire with the FC TB, but I do believe that I had read that is normal as well with the FC TB.

I would really like to have th FC TB on there, due to the lack of response with the stock TB. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can due or what to try to impove the idle?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 04:50 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12962
What I Drive: 04 Black SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 svtfocus954 Good Standing Member
did u bore out the plastic boot it goes into? i clogged it with paper towels and rags and used my dremel to "bore" it out to 65 mm i think it was. then vacuumed out and leftover debris, although there seemed to be none, it doesnt hurt. i dont know if that would cause too much of a prob, but idk. is everything hooked up nice and snug? sensor near the filer. all hose clamps tight. BTW, i have the steeda one, idk what kind you have.

dave
Old 09-20-2004, 05:49 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5280
What I Drive: 2006 FUSION SEL

FF Reputation: 1 EURO04SVT Good Standing Member
Maybe TPS adj wrong Maybe
Old 09-20-2004, 05:51 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5280
What I Drive: 2006 FUSION SEL

FF Reputation: 1 EURO04SVT Good Standing Member
If its throwin a CEL take it to Advance auto parts store or similar and have them check the code to see what the problem is for free. Then take neccesary steps for repair.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:10 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3468
What I Drive: JDM Mugen Turtle

FF Reputation: 4 sexy2002svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally posted by EURO04SVT
If its throwin a CEL take it to Advance auto parts store or similar and have them check the code to see what the problem is for free. Then take neccesary steps for repair.
so Advance Auto Parts does it for free??
Old 09-21-2004, 08:08 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2732
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT Focus / Red Inserts / YRFO Reflash / K&N Drop-In

FF Reputation: 1 Turbo_SVT420 Good Standing Member
yes, just go to autozone, or oreilys or somewhere like that. they will run a code-reader free of charge
Old 09-21-2004, 09:08 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

I double checked all my connections and all seemed fine. I think that this weekend I am going to give it another shot. Right now I have the stock TB on with the CAI. I am very leary of boring the plastic boot with my dremmel so I don't believe that I am going to go that route.

The TPS was definitely in the correct postion, the FC SVT TB only allows you to mount it one way, it does not have multiple screw holes like some of the other TBs.

I have read on some other sites something about the screw that is on the FC TB, that it can be adjusted. I have read some posts where peole claim the end of the world if you adjust that screw and other posts that it is meant to be adjusted. Anyone know for sure either way?

thanks

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.