Weight question SVT Vs. ZTS - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2004, 10:35 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3138
What I Drive: Euro 2003 PitchBlack SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 8 Shady R Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Weight question SVT Vs. ZTS

So as I was telling a buddie of mine that the SVT 3Door is lighter than his ZTS he asks what is the wieght of your car, so I told him. And well after checking the specs on the driver door sticker I found out that the fully loaded Mach Audio ZTS is lighter according to the sticker GVW by 40pounds. I just don't believe this. His car is a cruise ship in size compared to my SVT. So to get to the question at hand.

What is the reall weight of the ZVT and the Mach Audio ZTS?

If the ZTS is lighter by 40 pounds, what the hell is in the SVT that makes it that much heavier?

What did I miss here, I don't get it I have 2 less doors and the SVT is shorter, and for christ sake my wheels are even lighter than his. So what gives?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2004, 11:05 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10639
What I Drive: I used to have an 02 SVTF

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 3 ModemJunki Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Getrag transmission. Different front knuckles. Forged connecting rods. Rear disc brakes and their calipers. Huge front rotors. Thicker sway bars. Solid drive axles. Ground effects. The SVT wheels aren't lightweights, 21lbs each.

Every 12 ounces adds a pound....
Old 09-14-2004, 11:26 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3138
What I Drive: Euro 2003 PitchBlack SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 8 Shady R Good Standing Member
Ok I believe the trans could be heavier and the Front knucles, Forged con rods, and even the front caliper and rotor,. But the Zts has drum style brakes in the rear those things way a freaken ton versus calipers and rotors from the SVT. I don't know about the wheels either the Euro wheels seem to be lighter also. I don't know I guess thats why I ask.

But no, what I'm saying is that the SVT should at liest be 200-500pounds lighter all around.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:31 PM   #4
MTE
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4855
What I Drive: 03 -Sonic Blue-SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 MTE Good Standing Member
Fully loaded SVT is about 2780 lbs

An SVT with no options is about 2640 lbs

Mine's is right know at around 2580.lbs on a trucking scale
Old 09-15-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9465
What I Drive: 2000 Z28, 2004 ZX-5

FF Reputation: 1 Hubris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Same as a Mustang GT was always heavier than the Mustang LX Sport....and while the ground effects helped give it a higher top speed, it was slower in the 1/4.

Your SVT is not lighter...if you want it to be 500 pounds lighter than a car that has less stuff in it, better be prepared to strip it down. The more rugged drivetrain and stiffer suspension, 17" wheels etc make it heavier.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:00 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9696
What I Drive: 2004, red, zts

FF Reputation: 1 kaiten2 Good Standing Member
Im not too sure about the mach adio ZTS but i know that ford rates the ZTS at 2606
Old 09-15-2004, 10:21 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12064
What I Drive: 03 SVTF, 13 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Lupuri Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Notchback stangs are ALWAYS lighter then hatchback stangs, but they are also smaller. But comeing to a Focus, I dont know....gotta be pretty close.
89 Mustang LX (it's really white)
13 Focus ST
Old 09-15-2004, 10:54 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12276
What I Drive: 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO

FF Reputation: 1 Stephen S. Good Standing Member
GVW on the door sticker isnt the vehicle's weight. Its the maximum recommened weight (based on suspension,tires, wheels,etc) for that car. For example, my old Explorer's door sticker said 5280lbs, but it ACTUALLY weighed something like 4200, meaning I could load 1000lbs of stuff in there safely.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:42 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10592
What I Drive: 2004 SVTF/EAP Screaming yellow ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 SVTF'nGR8 Good Standing Member
Re: Weight question SVT Vs. ZTS

Quote:
Originally posted by Shady R
His car is a cruise ship in size compared to my SVT. So to get to the question at hand.
These Foci are deceiving, all of them: ZX3, ZX5, sedan and wagon share the same wheelbase of 103" while the sedan in 7" longer overall (bumper-to-bumper) than the ZX's and the wagon 10" longer.
Our hatchbacks also have larger roof panels than the sedans, since our interior volumes exceed the sedan's by a substantial 5 cubic feet. That too might add to the greater weight.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:23 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 12207
What I Drive: 02 Silver ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 bigeasysvt Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen S.
GVW on the door sticker isnt the vehicle's weight. Its the maximum recommened weight (based on suspension,tires, wheels,etc) for that car. For example, my old Explorer's door sticker said 5280lbs, but it ACTUALLY weighed something like 4200, meaning I could load 1000lbs of stuff in there safely.
Thanks I was curious aboutt that. But why would it divide the weight over that axles? It gives you the front and rear axle weight seperately. So is that the maxium I could hold over that axle. Do they think I going to add bricks on top the hood and exceed the max?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.