Change Filter - Not Oil ? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2004, 12:22 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1733
What I Drive: '04 SVT, Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Kalos Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Change Filter - Not Oil ?

Considering the strategy of using expensive synthetic oil; topping up but changing the oil only every 10,000km (~6,250mi), and changing the filter - but not the oil - every 5,000km.

Is this practical with the SVT engine - or would most of the oil leak out when the filter is removed ? Considering two options: 1) rising the car vertically in a repair shop bay, or 2) driving the car up a ramp so that the car and engine sit at a (significant) angle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2004, 12:28 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11347
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow Power Premium ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zslaton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Youe oil will drain when you go to take the filter off. Plan on changing the oil everytime you change the filter. And don't bother with synthetic. Just use the recommended Motorcraft oil with appropriate weight, a Motorcraft filter, and service it at the recommended 5000 mile intervals. It will save you the money and keep your engine running just as long.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
Supercharged

Fan#: 10982
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 SVT, 2004 Ford Ranger 4x4

Points 13,786, Level 76
Points: 13,786, Level: 76 Points: 13,786, Level: 76 Points: 13,786, Level: 76
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Hillyard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (27)
If you switch out the filter then you might as well change the oil.
#3788 InfraRed SVT
Hill <><
Old 09-12-2004, 04:54 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Youe oil will drain when you go to take the filter off

No, the oil won't drain when you remove the filter. I change my oil by first taking the filter off and putting the new one on. There is no more oil loss than if you drained the oil first. I agree that synthetics are over kill and a waste of money. Motorcraft oil in the red bottle is semi synthetic and it will do the job just fine.
ST crew #18
Old 09-12-2004, 06:20 PM   #5
BAD EGG

Fan#: 8452
What I Drive: 2008 Mica-Black Mazdaspeed 3 Sport

FF Reputation: 18 LastRites Great Standing Member
There are a good number of people that do extended drain intervals with synthetics. Most also use an oil analysis program like www.blackstone-labs.com They can tell you more about your engine than just what's up with your oil. This is just me here but if I'm getting under the car to change out a filter then I may as well drop the plug and switch out some oil too. For most the extended drain is just getting the most for your money. I don't care to send off oil samples and all so I have no issue with paying for the new oil more often.

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
# 908 of 1079, Born 03/16/2004
SVT SQUAD # 68
" I brake for saucy Pirate wenches"
Old 09-12-2004, 09:12 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8231
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT 3-Door

FF Reputation: 1 jb10fan Good Standing Member
Before you take the guys opinion about not using synthetic oil, do your homework first...thats all i ask, don't want to start an argument, just making sure you do your own research, and yes, you can't really change the filter and not the oil.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:41 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1895
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 rayrevolver Good Standing Member
I'll start the argument.

Synthetic oil is better than conventional oil in every category...except price. In the event you start to overheat, it will protect better. It holds its viscosity longer and can handle more heat.

If you can afford a $20K car you should be able to afford $24 of oil for an oil change. Mobil 1 5qt jugs can be bought at Walmart for $24.

Use full synth in the tranny too.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:26 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1733
What I Drive: '04 SVT, Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Kalos Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by jb10fan
Before you take the guys opinion about not using synthetic oil, do your homework first...thats all i ask, don't want to start an argument, just making sure you do your own research, and yes, you can't really change the filter and not the oil.
Yep. This question always seems to turn into a religious war. I had a simple question about angles - some engine designs make it easy to replace the filter without losing the oil. Others (where the filter is at the lowest point of the engine) make it just about impossible.

I've been looking at this synthetic vs regular oil question many years - every time I buy a new car. The problem is that there are too many variables to calculate with any certainty if synthetics pencil out: relative purchase costs of the various oils, relative labour cost for getting an oil change, how long you expect to keep the car, mileage per year, etc, etc. It doesn't look like the slight gas mileage benefit of synthetic (mpg-l/100km) is enough to offset the higher cost of synthetic oils. Here in Canada, where rust is a big problem, the body usually goes before the engine, so there may not be any point in trying to extend the life of the engine with synthetics. Then there's the question of whether to get something that barely qualifies as synthetic - eg Castrol - or get ultra-expensive synthetics such as Redline which for sure aren't economical unless they are kept for extended drain intervals and maybe need periodic oil analysis.

Another issue is whether regular no-name oils available at Wal-Mart etc ( or Canadian Tire in Canada) are really sufficient, or whether they are just marginal. Are the cheapest "$1" oils really good enough because they meet industry specs, or are they just "refinery waste with a minimal amount of additives" which couldn't meet Euro specs and are meant for ignorant (North) American trailer trash ? You just can't get a straight non-weaseled answer.

It seems to me that just about the only thing you can say for sure is that if you want the engine to last more than a "usual" economic life without major overhaul - like you've got an unusual keeper car - then some form of synthetic will "probably" be more economical in the long run. Our SVTF may be such a car and we're fanatics... Another reason to use synthetics might be reduce the impact of car operation on the environment - fewer oil changes mean less pollution, etc - but this has more to do with politics/religion than economics...

One recommendation that surprises me is to use Motorcraft oil and filter. Maybe in the USA Motorcraft stuff is sold at competitive prices. Here in Canada, Motorcraft oil sold by Ford Dealerships is more expensive than some synthetics - and Motorcraft "synthetic" oil is ~$16/qt...
Old 09-13-2004, 08:29 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11347
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow Power Premium ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zslaton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Read the petroleum institute studies and manufacturer studies... synthetics are a waste of time and money unless you are beating the absolute piss out of your car. They are simply a marketing ploy. Trust me... what the OEMs put their engines through with the run of the mill oils (Motorcraft, etc.) will far exceed what you do, and they are certified to 150,000 miles. Your engine will take a dump due to a manufacturing defect or failed oil pump way before it does from using the recommended oil. Don't waste your money... use the recommended grade, manufacturer, and filter when chaging the oil.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:41 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
and yes, you can't really change the filter and not the oil.

and yes, you CAN change the filter and not the oil. I recommend using motorcraft semi synthetic oil, but that doesn't mean I am against synthetics. I used to run amzoil with the amzoil filter. I would change the filter every 3,000 miles and top off the oil, then change the oil and filter at 20,000 miles. But it is a waste of money. On my 1985 ranger, I change the oil every 3,000 miles and use valvoline dino oil and it has 275,000 miles on it with no problems. It is starting to have blowby, but it still runs strong. The point is, use the recommended oil and you won't have problems.
ST crew #18

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.