SVT Engine Stumbles When Cold ? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2004, 05:52 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1733
What I Drive: '04 SVT, Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Kalos Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question SVT Engine Stumbles When Cold ?

My '02 SVT engine stumbles and threatens to die for a few minutes occasionally at cold startup. Is this a common problem ? Solution ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2004, 05:58 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 343
What I Drive: 02' Silver SVT RIP 2007

Points 4,212, Level 41
Points: 4,212, Level: 41 Points: 4,212, Level: 41 Points: 4,212, Level: 41
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 lunarc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
have you had the YRFO update? That seem to help out
2002 SVT Focus #1848
---------------------------
New ride E36 DINAN BMW, Dinan CAI, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Stg1 Suspension, Dinan Stg1 Chip
Old 09-10-2004, 05:58 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2944
What I Drive: 2004 pitch black svt 3 dr #998 of #

FF Reputation: 1 greggmeister Good Standing Member
I have an 04 svt that does the same thing. Unless I let it warm up for 3-5 minutes in the morning it will act up! I just can't wait to see how it acts when it really gets cold! It's not a big problem though I just get ready to leave 3-5 minutes earlier!
Old 09-10-2004, 09:26 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12293
What I Drive: 04 infra red svt # 1345, 06 Jet Bla

FF Reputation: 1 svt2004 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The spark is retarded on cold start up to warm the cat fast for that emmissions bs. i would assume a flash or chip would change it.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:32 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12173
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 erittalf Good Standing Member
I took my car to the dealer (its under warranty) for the same problem. The tech found a service buliten about this problem, so it must be common. On the intake there are some rubber boots with cheap clamps. These clamps cannot be tightened and they are believed to be causing the problem. They replaced the clamps with some new adjustable ones and flashed the computer with a different program. In the end, the car must turn over a few extra times when started, weather hot or cold, and the cold rough idle is gone.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:37 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Hmmm... My 04 has this stumbling problem also. Picked it up 2 weeks ago. I think I'm gonna have to take it in and possibly get reflashed... hopefully it doesn't affect my MPG's at all... 30 last tank (700 miles on engine!!!)
Old 09-10-2004, 10:00 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10460
What I Drive: 04 Infra-Red focus SVT 3 door #434 of 1978 Born November 11th 2003

FF Reputation: 1 svt medic Good Standing Member
I wish I got 30, And I have 3500 miles on my car, Hell i'm lucky if i get 24
( VVTI This)
(SVT Squad # 198)
Old 09-11-2004, 08:03 AM   #8
Supercharged

Fan#: 10982
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 SVT, 2004 Ford Ranger 4x4

Points 13,364, Level 75
Points: 13,364, Level: 75 Points: 13,364, Level: 75 Points: 13,364, Level: 75
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Hillyard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (27)
Quote:
Originally posted by erittalf
I took my car to the dealer (its under warranty) for the same problem. The tech found a service buliten about this problem, so it must be common. On the intake there are some rubber boots with cheap clamps. These clamps cannot be tightened and they are believed to be causing the problem. They replaced the clamps with some new adjustable ones and flashed the computer with a different program. In the end, the car must turn over a few extra times when started, weather hot or cold, and the cold rough idle is gone.
Ya mine stumbles when it is cold too...Hmm I am going to check out those clamps. Did they replace the cheap ones with those steel clamps that pipe fitters use?
#3788 InfraRed SVT
Hill <><
Old 09-11-2004, 01:30 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cold start is a normal issue for the SVTF, nothing a YRF0 cannot help if you have a 02 or 03 SVTF. The 04's I'm starting to see and read more often of these issues. Please keep in mind a surge in RPM's on a cold start is normal, this is the ECU's way of warming up the cat. After a few minutes all will return to normal. But...even with this and the YRF0, I do still have some surge issues and a stumble every now and then, truth be told I think it's just a ECU problem that Ford has not worked out yet. Since another reflash (I think) is not in the works for the ECU, dealing with it, well I'm kinda used to it now.

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"
Old 09-11-2004, 02:53 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1416
What I Drive: Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 greystealth Good Standing Member
Let me tell you guys, every single SVTF has this issue. It's normal. If you notice, every time you start your car, even if it is not cold, the computer will return to default and think the car is cold. So you will notice every time you start it, it will run in high RPM's for about 30 seconds or so then it will see the temp. conditions of the car. If you take off without letting it sit for about a minute it will hesitate and stuble and act like its gonna die for about a mile or so, then it will go away. We have an 04 and we've done alot of research on this. It's a tuned car, so you need to let it sit for a minute when you start it up. It's really not a big deal. Remeber, you have a hyperformance car. Don't worry about it guys. Basically, just wait till the RPM's drop to their lowest level, then take off, then you will see what i'm talking about.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.