03' SVT problems... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2004, 01:18 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 10595
What I Drive: 05 GT 500

FF Reputation: 1 zamball Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
03' SVT problems...

I am looking at buying a 03' Focus and I was wondering if there is anything I need to know.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2004, 01:55 AM   #2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 10026
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 mivida Good Standing Member
Re: 03' SVT problems...

Quote:
Originally posted by zamball
I am looking at buying a 03' Focus and I was wondering if there is anything I need to know.

Thanks
Mike
The only thing you need to know is that the SVT rocks. As far as problems, I've never experienced anything when driving my friends, nor have I heard of anything going too wrong that wasn't covered by the warrenty. If you want a problems, you should buy a 2000 Foci. ;)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2004, 02:59 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4510
What I Drive: 2003 cd silver svt focus

FF Reputation: 1 smokinyourass Good Standing Member
Don't buy one they are nothing but trouble, get the dodge srt-4.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:10 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11896
What I Drive: '03 Infra-Red SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 badqat Good Standing Member
Re: 03' SVT problems...

Quote:
Originally posted by zamball

Thanks
Mike
Having bought my new '03 SVT less than a week ago (actually took "official" delivery of it yesterday - thanks to weather, that was the first day they could clean it up, remove the window stickers, all that) I'm obviously going to be biased in favor of getting one. I'm going to pass 500 miles today, and I'm doing the first oil change (old habit). I'm tickled with my decision, thus far.

I did two things. First, I made sure mine had the ECU reflash. It did, as their SVT tech had done this while it sat on the lot - and my salesperson was able to get me a printout of the service record.

Second, I got the dealer to give me a copy of both TSB 04-8-1 TSB 4-12-2. Specific language was placed into the sales contract that if I had any issues related to either the original or second TSB dealing with the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel, it was to be covered under warranty.

If you're buying used, make sure you do due dilligence in regards to the condition of the vehichle.

As for needing to know anything? How about knowing how to have fun?

The SVT is a blast to drive. I can't wait to get mine fully broken in so I can wind her out through some curves.

I say go for it.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:03 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2462
What I Drive: 2002 Redfire Mustang Gt

FF Reputation: 1 Svt4life Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you really want a fun car to drive this is your car but be awake that it has its share of problems. If you're looking for reliability i would go with something like the acura rsx - or others. Like others have said this car is fun as hell to drive but you will definetly get ur share of problems. I have the 03 svt and i bought mine brand new in october of 03 it hasn't been an year yet but these are the problems ive had

New Engine - 2200miles
New Clutch . flywheel , pressure plate , - 7000miles
New Transmission - 12,300miles

Did get the reflash but car still continues to get the battery light and shuts off at times.. im not suggesting that you will have these exact same problems but this is just an idea of what to expect. Anyways good luck with what you purchase.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:07 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12777
What I Drive: 2003 Orange SVTF

Points 1,730, Level 24
Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 gukin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Bad idea.

Check my thread "Problems, should I give up?" for my experiences in the first year. I really doubt you will have the trouble I've had but even a fraction of that can seriously damage your new car experience. You might be able to get one very cheaply due to the fact that 1. Ford has discontinued the SVT focus and has no intention on building anything like it again and 2. Ford has redesigned the focus for 2005, making your (future?) SVT look out of date.

I bought mine because I wanted a zippy car that got good mileage had lots of room (for bicycles & stuff) that was also small on the outside. I would have lemon law'ed the damn thing but I can't think of a suitable replacement.

There are other, better, cars available, the golf GTI (if you're not too tall) the RSX -S (if you don't need the rear seat room) the SI (if you can cope with the center console) the Celica (if you don't mind an old model) even the Mazda 3 is a contender, the aforementioned SRT-4. I don't think that Ford is building good cars anymore and aren't paying enough to the mechanics for warranty repairs.

Ultimately the choice is yours, drive them all and ALWAYS remember, there are LOTS of cars but only one of your money.

Good luck.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:31 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9482
What I Drive: 04 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 2 SVTmonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally posted by smokinyourass
Don't buy one they are nothing but trouble, get the dodge srt-4.
Your answer to getting rid of trouble is to buy a NEON?!?!?

Anyways, as long as you get 2003 or 2004 you should be fine. You might have the odd problem, but overall the car is great! The 2004 was a consumer best buy in two categories (the regular focus in best compact car and the SVT in most fun to drive). I have a 2004 and I haven't had a single problem yet...[knock on wood]!

There is always people that will have major problems with a vehicle, but that is unavoidable...visit any forum and you will find common problems and issues...

Anyways...GO FOR IT!
Old 09-10-2004, 03:55 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10592
What I Drive: 2004 SVTF/EAP Screaming yellow ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 SVTF'nGR8 Good Standing Member
^^^WHAT HE SAID.

The SRT-4 is plagued with numerous problems already itself. Just stop in at the SRT forums and you'd be amazed. No different than the SVTF. Most testers agree that Ford quality is far superior to Dodge.

I love my SVTF more every day and no problems for me yet, although I am still under 2K miles. But the (now) fellow SVTF folks here helped talk me into going for mine. But I was like you, skeptical of all the problem stories.
Just respect your car a little bit, whatever you decide to get. Chances are it wont let you down. I'd be willing to bet that the people having excessive problems with their cars are beating on them. They are only machines afterall.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:46 PM   #9

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by SVTF'nGR8
Chances are it wont let you down. I'd be willing to bet that the people having excessive problems with their cars are beating on them. They are only machines afterall.
Lately I keep seeing people saying this on here. Ummm... okay, maybe some of the problems you hear about are from people who treat their car like crap, but there are plenty of people like myself who take good care of our cars and don't abuse them and still have problems. I've been to the dealer twice this year for the DSI cable and a throttle cable that got stuck at WOT on the freeway. Despite alignments, the car wants to track to the right unless I hold the steering wheel to the left about 10-15 degrees. And the big ones: I think I have the brake problem that has been mentioned before, where the pedal goes soft under constant foot pressure (possibly a bad master cylinder at 19,000 friggen miles!), AND I have the rattle in the tranny - and the dealer experience is usually so unpleasant (they refuse to admit that the car may have problems and essentially just go through the motions, pat me on the head and tell me to run along little boy) that I'm putting off a visit to the dealer about those problems.

I wouldn't get a Neon, but if I had it to do over again I think I would have thought a little harder before making the decision to get the Focus. The fun factor from when you first drive the car starts to wear off after the first few dealer visits...
Old 09-10-2004, 05:03 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10592
What I Drive: 2004 SVTF/EAP Screaming yellow ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 SVTF'nGR8 Good Standing Member
^^^well apologies, and I stand corrected on that general statement I made there.
I suppose I am in denial about all these problems being so common, and just hoping that it doesnt start to happen to mine. I can only imagine the dealer experiences being bad. Luckily, my dealer is supposedly rated #1 in the country for satisfaction.......we'll see I guess.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.