CEL on and ORP is not causing it... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2004, 03:46 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9731
What I Drive: 2003 Piranha (OS2i4)

FF Reputation: 1 OSSO002 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
CEL on and ORP is not causing it...

...because I don't have one. The focus is bone stock and this morning the CEL lit up. I'm taking it to blue oval tomorrow and I was wondering what to expect. There are no apparant problems except the light... did this happen to anyone else (without an orp)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1159
What I Drive: SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 JRSCSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thats a broad question...could be a number of things man....you never know...do you know what code it is throwing, thats a good place to start.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:23 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Can I find out without using a obd2 reader or something like that?
edit\\ I did the check from focus hacks and everything seemed normal, no dtc codes thrown

Last edited by OSSO002; 09-08-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:49 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Well, Autozone should run the obd2 scan for free...at least they are still doing it around here.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:38 PM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 6219
What I Drive: 2003 FOCUS SVT ZX5 Pitch Black

FF Reputation: 1 hbm1 Good Standing Member
Angry Good luck

These cars are crap and Ford doesn't stand behind this product at all. Dealerships only want to charge you to fix the stuff that should have been on TSB. We all know the problems and so does Ford. But instead of fixing the issues they just want to take your money hince no TSB's. Clutch is bad, faulty TPS, CEL problems with bone stock cars, and trust me they are going to try and blame it on something not covered under warranty. Took mine in today because it has been revving above 3000rpms all the time. They said there was a vacuum leak cause by my FC throttle body. They could fix it but not under warranty. I came home and checked to see if there was any leakage around the throttle body and there wasn't. Service tech lied and said when he pushed down on the throttle body the revving stopped. I tried this at home and the car still revved. People on here will say that's what happens when you mod your car. I say bullshit. It's not FI and if the ECU on the SVTF is so damn smart it should be able to adjust to the minor increase in air.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:18 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Well, maybe you dont know a lot about how this stuff works. Its not bullshit, Ford and SVT spent a lot of time researching every little thing on this car and how it ties all together. If you start changing things up its easy for them to blame the problems on mods. It is their right to as well. They dont want to waste time and effort on cars with aftermarket parts that the car was never meant to have on there. That is what you risk when modding you car. Why not just take it back to stock, then take it to a different dealer. It seems all you need is the latest pcm reflash.
BTW, the FC TB hardly increases air flow enough for the computer to make changes to anything.
What do you mean "revs to 3K rpms all the time". When does this happen? At idle? In the morning on cold start up? Or just about every time you come to a stop in N? Try putting your stock TB back on and see if that fixes the problem, if so, then you know where the problem is.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:35 AM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I still say it's bs

Other people who still have their cars stock are experiencing the same problem. So how is it that I don't know what I am talking about? I have the YRFO reflash and have had it since 2k miles on my car. The TB has been on there for over 9,000 miles without any problems (I have 11,000 miles on the car). It's not the mods that are causing the problems. Just read some of the posts from people with stock cars and you'll see they have the same issues. Also, if the FC TB doesn't add that much additional air and there are no vacuum leaks from any of the mods how does that exonerate ford from fixing the problem? They have to prove that the mod was causing the problem...................
Old 09-09-2004, 06:27 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Okay can we all calm down a bit, please.

First off, my 03 SVTF does still rev and yes it's a ECU issue, modded or not. It's a normal thing that occurs on the SVTF. You all with a SVTF should expect a surge in rpms on a cold start crank, once the cat is heated the computer will drop the rpms. It's normal, I don't know a SVTF one that don't have the rev or surge issue with rpm's, esp a 02 or 03 SVTF.

Look I can understand the anger, I've been to a dealer that blamed my problems on my mods as well. Then when put back stock, they scratched their heads, cause guess what, they could not figure out the problem. A simple YRF0 flash fixed everything, and we all know it takes a good many cold start runs for a new ecu reflash to level out.

Yeah some of the things on a SVTF may be BS as some of ya'll may call it, but I still love my car.

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"
Old 09-09-2004, 07:08 AM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Sorry, just venting

I am just bothered that some people on here try to act like a few simple mods have caused all the problems. I have the YRFO but I guess I will have them reflash it again. Thanks for your post. Like I said, I was just venting from the frustation of having to deal with the dealer.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:53 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Okay, so got it serviced and picked it up yestarday. They fixed some wierd noises and the CEL wasn't on anymore. However today I take it out and notice the battery light poping on/off but I took it in for a reflash a while ago (I'm not sure but I think I was coasting in N). So after I got back home, I poped the hood open took off the batery cover then put it back on. 5 minutes later I start the car and the CEL is back on again...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.