Help - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 79842
What I Drive: 2002 silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 sixpack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Help

I am new here but have been referring to your posts to help diag my problems this far.

I had a code indicating a slipped tooth. On my last drive in the car the timing belt let loose all together and bent all my intake valves. I replaced all the intake valves and the timing belt. Now the engine is running rough. It barely idles (if t all) and its almost acting like it was before the timing belt let loose. When I did the timing, I couldn't get the exhaust timed out perfectly. Every time i loosened the timing belt and cam gears and redid everything, I would roll the engine over and the intake cam was dead on and the exhaust was ever so slightly off. could that be my issue? Could I have overlooked bent exhaust valves. They all looked closed when I checked for light past them.

Any help would be appreciated; I am just SO frustrated with this car. (we will not go into the issues I had finding valves for this thing)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 64637
What I Drive: 2003 350Z Track

FF Reputation: 23 bmylez Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If the cams aren't lining up, that's your problem. Go here for timing belt instructions in case you missed something: http://www.mediafire.com/?mzmymfhmt1n
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - cursed
2003 350Z Track - basically stock, and it runs
Old 10-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #3
Focus Rookie

Ok... Anyone have any advice on how to get the timing just right? I followed the instructions to the letter. After doing it twice the exhaust cam is still off just a little. I checked the instructions from multiple sources and found them all the same.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

Points 542, Level 10
Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
When you do the 'double-check' after spinning the crank 2 revolutions, you need to pull the intake cam ahead (in the direction of rotation) with a wrench to put the VCT hub in its' proper place to check the timing.

If you just rotate the engine the cam bar will not fit (most times). The VCT hub is spring loaded to the proper location, but the valve springs are stiffer than the hub spring and hold it retarded.

How are you finding TDC? I just use a long 3/8 extension in #1 sparkplug hole. You need to get the timing belt set so that the bar fits in the cams on your double check. Watch that VCT hub thing and you'll be OK.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 54,678, Level 100
Points: 54,678, Level: 100 Points: 54,678, Level: 100 Points: 54,678, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 44%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
The SVT VCT Intake cam gear IS NOT spring loaded , you have to set the VCT Intake Cam Gear to its proper position when installing everything as well as installing the Cam bar to set the cams

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
Focus Rookie

I check tdc by putting a long screw driver in the #1 plug hole and installing the crank alignment pin. So should i loosen the timing pulleys, and turn the VCT gear back to be sure its seated before I set up the gears on the cams?
Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 54,678, Level 100
Points: 54,678, Level: 100 Points: 54,678, Level: 100 Points: 54,678, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 44%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
You need to find instructions to installing the SVT/VCT Belt and how and where to set the Intake VCT gear

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

Points 542, Level 10
Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
If you break the gears loose, the VCT will go to where it needs to be all by itself. I don't know what Tom is talking about. With both gears loose, bar in the back of the cams and TDC on #1, belt on and adjusted....you hold the cams and sock them down.

The timing should be spot on if nothing moved when you tightened the cam gears. But.....if you do the double-check, most times you won't be able to get the bar in the intake cam because you need to pull it ahead to where it was with the gear loose. It only takes a gentle pull with the wrench until it stops....don't turn the motor. The bar should now fit if it is in time. Not really hard once you do it.

Edit: Wanted to add that all the instructions I have ever seen do not mention anything about 'setting the Intake VCT gear'. When you loosen the gear, the hub is supposed to go to the proper timing position. Isn't it? If not, please tell us how you do it. I've done maybe 6 Ford VCT belts and the hubs sure seemed like they were loaded inside and sprung ahead all by themselves. Is it just residual oil pressure inside pushing them ahead? Maybe I was just very lucky that they ran well? Wish I could be that lucky in other things I do....

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.