Focus Fanatics Forum banner

AEM Wideband

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Svt5.0 
#1 ·
Just ordered an AEM wideband for my SVT and was wondering if there is a "How To" for installing it.

Also wanted to know if it matters if I have to use the stock O2 sensor if I still have a stock cat? Because the wideband comes with another O2 sensor....[confused]

#3 ·
If you don't have an aftermarket tune that turns off the rear O2 sensor, then you will throw a CEL if you put the wideband O2 in its place. On top of that, the AFR reading on the wideband will be thrown off by the 2 cats that are in the stock cat housing. It will read leaner by a few tenths. Another, more accurate option, is to have an O2 bung welded into the header.

#5 ·
drill a 1" hole into the bottom of the header down-pipe just before the 1st o2, make sure its into the side and no pointing straight toward the ground...otherwise moisture will collect and burn out the o2, unless its gets snapped from a pothole or incline first ;)

It'll take about 10 minutes of solid drilling with a good bit to punch that hole. Take your time and have a buddy spray WD40 or cutting oil on every 30-60 seconds, or whenever it smokes. No point in destroying a bit doing this.

Go to a muffler shop and toss them 20 bucks to weld a bung over the hole. They usually have bungs lying around. Done!

#7 ·
so i have to do all these stupid modifications just to hook up my wideband?

cant i just put in the aem wideband o2 and call it good?

#12 ·
Yeah man, you either have to weld the bung somewhere in your exhaust or replace the stock o2 sensor with your wideband. The problem with that is that you're going to trip a CEL. The best thing to do would be to get a tuner/tune and have the rear o2 disabled. This will keep the CEL from going off if you swap out your sensors.

#8 ·
Ummm....you didn't do your research before buying a part? Don't get angry at the part... If you want it to work, you have to hook the damn AEM gauge up to the damn wideband O2 sensor....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.