Gear Linkage problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 78304
What I Drive: 2002 ST 170 Grey

FF Reputation: 1 KenRob Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Gear Linkage problem

On my ST 170 ( SVT in US) the end fitting of cable link to the transmission pops off the ball joint at the gearbox (which results in the loss of all gears except 3 and 4). I have fixed it temporarily using 2 zip ties, but would like to know of a permanent fix? My gear change is rather notchy, with a poor lock into reverse, is this usual?
Cheers, KenRob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Turbo!!!!

Fan#: 33699
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

FF Reputation: 30 WitchCitySVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The popping off is common. The poor lock in reverse is not. Your going to need to get a new shift cable.

2003 Competition Orange SVT *Revived*
2012 Black Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ
Old 09-07-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Focus Rookie

Hi, thanks for the info! Some further checks show that the cables move freely when disconnected. The problem seems to be wear in the plastic end fitting of the cable. Ford Uk say that end fittings are not available separately, but I did see on another site two part numbers for end fittings. Can anyone confirm whether these end fittings can be changed and if the fittings are in fact available?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 21814
What I Drive: 02 Sonic Blue, 03 Orange EAP

FF Reputation: 1 jlovingit Good Standing Member
I ran into the same problem awhile back on my SVT and ended up having to buy the whole cable:( Not sure if there are more options available now though.

New owner of 03 Comp Orange EAP and couldn't be hapier.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:10 AM   #5
Focus Rookie

Hi, thanks. I have made a temporary fix using zip ties, but the problem seems to be that at the extreme of travel the cable is pulling the end fitting off the gearbox linkage ball as if there was too much 'throw' from the gearshift lever.
Cheers, KenRob
Old 09-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Sounds like you may need to adjust your linkage then. Here is what I wrote to someone else on another thread on how to adjust your linkage. This may help:)

I had the same problem with my 02 sonic blue. I'd be driving and go to shift, almost always into 2nd or 3rd and it was like the shifter hit a wall. No grinding like is just got stopped. Foun my problem was the tension on the shift cables. I adjusted them and it worked fine. You probably just need to tighten them. They are easily accessible from above the engine just under your intake. If you have a shorty or cai you can reach them with out removal other wise take out your air box. You will see the top of the tranny and the linkage. There will be two orange release clamps (one on each cable). Release the clamps and just up the cable from those you will see the adjusters. You just spin them to tighten or loosen them. Engage the orange clasps again and go back and check your shifter. You may have to go back and forth a few times to get it just right:). Also before you ge. Started you need to make sure the shifter stays in dead center neutral otherwise you may cause more problems. Ford used to have two yellow plastic pieces that would hold it steady but I am not sure they are readily available anymore. I have heard you could put it into first to steady it but I have never tried that. Hope this helps.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:53 AM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Sounds like you may need to adjust your linkage then. Here is what I wrote to someone else on another thread on how to adjust your linkage. This may help:)

I had the same problem with my 02 sonic blue. I'd be driving and go to shift, almost always into 2nd or 3rd and it was like the shifter hit a wall. No grinding like is just got stopped. Foun my problem was the tension on the shift cables. I adjusted them and it worked fine. You probably just need to tighten them. They are easily accessible from above the engine just under your intake. If you have a shorty or cai you can reach them with out removal other wise take out your air box. You will see the top of the tranny and the linkage. There will be two orange release clamps (one on each cable). Release the clamps and just up the cable from those you will see the adjusters. You just spin them to tighten or loosen them. Engage the orange clasps again and go back and check your shifter. You may have to go back and forth a few times to get it just right:). Also before you ge. Started you need to make sure the shifter stays in dead center neutral otherwise you may cause more problems. Ford used to have two yellow plastic pieces that would hold it steady but I am not sure they are readily available anymore. I have heard you could put it into first to steady it but I have never tried that. Hope this helps.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15803
What I Drive: '02 Sonic Blue SVT Focus, '03 Wagon

Points 5,584, Level 48
Points: 5,584, Level: 48 Points: 5,584, Level: 48 Points: 5,584, Level: 48
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 34 WuNgUnSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I had some Delrin bushings made up for my cable...but it's only for the fore/aft cable, not the side-to-side cable (which is totally different)...
'02 Sonic Blue SVT Focus

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.