Looking at a high mileage SVT. Need some queations answered. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 76930
What I Drive: 2000 GT Mustang

Points 400, Level 7
Points: 400, Level: 7 Points: 400, Level: 7 Points: 400, Level: 7
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 1 Freefallin2000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looking at a high mileage SVT. Need some queations answered.

Its a local ar and I could get it for a pretty good deal. Some things worry me though. Current owner has only had it a few months, doesn't have any service record but thinks the Tbelt and clutch were done recently.

Front 2 fenders look like someone painted them with a roller. Not bad from 20 feet but 5 feet and immediately noticeable. Not in the best cosmetic shape and needs a few things obviously.

The car has 154k on it. It would be my DD. I would be commuting 20 miles ever other week and do some spirited driving to a fro in the mix. It is currently 100+ degrees here every day and will be for the next month at least.

I need to know best and worst case scenario for this specific application. How many miles should I see out of it if I take care of it and don't run it extremely hard and if it had the repairs mentioned?

How many miles would the engine/drivetrain/suspension be good for if I treated it right and those mods were done and/or not done. What could I expect to replace right away if they were or were not replaced? I don't want a money pit. I want something to get me from A to B with minimal work and repair and worrying and stressing on my behalf.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20592
What I Drive: '13 Focus ST & '04 Focus SVT

Points 1,083, Level 17
Points: 1,083, Level: 17 Points: 1,083, Level: 17 Points: 1,083, Level: 17
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 9 VAfromMN Good Standing Member
No easy answer here!

Is it a dealer or a private seller?

Over the course of the next couple of commutes, my '04 SVT will turn 190,000 miles. While I don't abuse it, I certainly don't baby it either. I run full synthetic (Castrol) and change it at roughly 5-6000 miles.

I have not had any concerns. I changed my timing belt at 150,000 and it still looked new.

My commute is about 120 miles round trip and I generally get 30-31 MPG.

One thing you can do is take the VIN to your Ford dealer and ask them to run the OASIS vehicle report and ask them to access any warranty records that might still be floating around. Plus of course the CARFAX.

A compression check might be in order with that level of mileage, just to assuage any concerns there.

Good luck
Old 08-28-2010, 01:39 AM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 400, Level 7
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 8%
I was thinking of having a Ford dealer run a compression test and overall test to see what kind of shape it's in. What could I expect for a compression test on this car? I am really thinking about getting serious here so any help appreciated. Wow, you sure have a lot of miles on your car. So I could easily get another 5 years out of this car or 60k or so you think if I treat it right you think?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15803
What I Drive: '02 Sonic Blue SVT Focus, '03 Wagon

Points 5,574, Level 48
Points: 5,574, Level: 48 Points: 5,574, Level: 48 Points: 5,574, Level: 48
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 34 WuNgUnSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I have 250,000Km on mine...
Make sure the T-belt was done!!! Same with the clutch...
Other than that, normal wear items.

Have a good look at the exhaust, particularly the cat/cat bracket/heatshields.
'02 Sonic Blue SVT Focus
Old 08-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Timing belt is a huge one, the SVT engines are an interference engine meaning if they get out of time, you can do serious terminal damage. Clutch is an issue although at that mileage it would have probably had one done by now. I'd spend the $80 or whatever most shops charge and have a full test done on it, compression, inspection etc etc. I have 145K miles on mine, been supercharged since 54K. Did my timing belt at 90K miles, always changed oil at 4K with full synthetic. Engine doesn't use a drop of oil, still runs like a champ. Aside from my transmission taking a dump on me, I've only had to do basic maintaince that comes with a car (brakes, 02 sensors, tires, some bushings). I'd check the suspension on it, if it's stock it's probably blown. Thankfully, the OE replacement parts are still very very good and can be had rather cheap. Also, if modding is in your plans, first thing I'd get is a good ECU reflash or tune as it's mostly called. It will improve just about everything in the way the car drives as well as your MPG will increase. My personal best was 34mpg on a road trip. I can still easily get 30mpg on the highway but I average around 24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfromMN View Post
I have not had any concerns. I changed my timing belt at 150,000 and it still looked new.
Yikes, you could have been on borrowed time. Mine didn't show wear on it but it's cheaper to do it on time than wait till it fails. Good to hear yours is still running strong with that many miles on it. I seem to remember a guy with like 250K on one that posted for a little bit.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 08-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 400, Level 7
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 8%
I will check into it. Thanks guys.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.