Who's installed -> CFM Manifold Silicone Hose? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17917
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Mystic544 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Question Who's installed -> CFM Manifold Silicone Hose?

Got a hesitation & misfire issue on my #4 in the SVT
A few have suggested that TSB 07-10-7 might be my answer (fingers crossed) and I was thinking about picking up this package from CFM -

http://focus.c-f-m.com/cfmsvtst170fo...mpupgrade.aspx
CFM SVT Focus Intake Manifold Silicone Hose and Stainless Clamp Upgrade
Add some color to your engine compartment with our silicone coupler and clamp upgrade kit. Factory couplers are prone to failure over time, don't wait until it is your turn! These 2 ply silicone couplers are much stronger and durable than the stock rubber pieces. These are also a great upgrade for forced induction. Includes 4 couplers and 8 OEM stainless clamps.

I don't care about the color (but would get red to go with the SVT lettering)
Did these work for you and more importantly how did you install them - was it a PITA?

Thank you

1996 Mystic Cobra #544
VP www.midwestfords.org
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 77532
What I Drive: 2002 Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 FourOnTheFloor65 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I had a cylinder 4 misfire and a system lean code on my car. After I changed the plugs, wires, and coil, the misfire code didn't go away didn't go away. I took the upper intake manifold off and one of the boots had a nasty leak. It surprised me that I didn't hear it. I ordered some of those from CFM and just got them yesterday.

It wasn't really hard to pull the upper manifold off the lower section. The hardest part is getting it out from behind the motor after you take it loose, which you don't necessarily have to do to change out the boots. If you just take the manifold loose and let it sit on the cat pipe behind the motor, changing them out is like a 20min job. I removed my upper manifold because I wanted to clean all the oil out of it. If you want to remove the manifold, you'll have to remove the air box and pull the brake fluid reservoir and fuse box out of the way to lift it out. Maybe tomorrow I'll put it all back together.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply!
Good to hear that this looks to be the solution you are looking for - I hope it does the same for me! Really want/need my little SVT to run right again!

Did it come with some instructions? Maybe tips on where any bolts and stuff are hiding (feel free to add your own input here) I ask as I'm a bigger guy and my hands don't always want to get around back of things hahahaha

I also noticed on the Ford TSB they suggested changing out the injector O rings...should I?

1996 Mystic Cobra #544
VP www.midwestfords.org
Old 08-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 77532
What I Drive: 2002 Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 FourOnTheFloor65 Good Standing Member
It didn't come with instructions. Search the regular SVT performance forum. There are a few threads about removing the manifold. Other than that it is pretty straight forward. Just pull the throttle body hose off, unhook the throttle cables, pull off the few small vacuum lines on the back of the manifold that are behind the throttle body, loosen the clamps that hold the upper manifold to the boots, and pull the upper manifold off. Once you drop it down out of the way, remove the clamps that hold the boots to the lower manifold and pull the boots off. Then start putting it back together with the new boots.

Personally I wouldn't change the injector o-rings. You could always remove them, clean them with a mild soap, rub some vaseline on them, and put them back in. If any of them are torn or look dry rotted, change them.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 77562
What I Drive: 2003 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Baba booey Good Standing Member
I just did this when I put my starter cable on. The factory ones were all dry and distorted....the intake wouldn't even fit in right. Then I remembered I saw them in a box of parts that came with the car. Put them on and the intake slid right in. Not sure if it's a performance upgrade, but it makes removal/assembly much easier.

It's pretty much a cake job. I had my cable swapped and couplers installed, and reassembled everything in less than 2 hours.

It wouldn't hurt to change the injector O rings. They're what a $1 part and takes a minute to do?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Arrow

Parts came in the mail already - thanks CFM for the fast turn around!

So - it sounds like I don't "need" to take the upper intake all the way off to change out these boots...will loosening bolts and stuff give me the "wiggle room" needed to pull the OEM rubber boots off and put the bright new red Silicone boots on???

Like Baba Booey - my upper intake doesn't appear right, it seems as if it is pulled down a bit on the throttle body side. And being a 2003 with about 66K miles in Chicagoland weather - I'm sure the rubber boots are also dry and distorted....

I'm kind of excited about getting this swap done! If it solves the hesitation and misfire issue I'll be Will be great to have the performance back and driving around will be a lot more fun!
1996 Mystic Cobra #544
VP www.midwestfords.org
Old 08-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
( o Y o )

Fan#: 32177
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
to get to some of the clamps, you'll have to pull the fuel rail (two screws, a couple harness disconnects and they pop out!) Just push the lower unit off the boots, remove old boots and install new ones!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.