Questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 76653
What I Drive: 04 Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 LilFociSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Questions

Vehicle is 04 svt. Ok so I was changing spark plugs, and I'm about 90% sure #2 is stripped out so I stopped. While at work today I found a new head on ebay for $400 so bought it. Now I have access to a lift, and full set of tools so plan on doing this myself. Along with my "trusty" chiltons manual. When I got home from work I ordered a felpro gasket kit (upper), The Samco hose kit's along with the 2 other hoses needed for a SVT, and ARP head studs (got caught up in the shopping mood) from cfm, and the thermostat housing from HT performance. I also picked up a water pump, timing belt, and idler pulleys on ebay. Now my question is besides an accessory belt, and coolant what else will I need to pick up to change out the head? I'm going with the theory of needing new cam bearings since I'm putting them into a new head. Is that accurate? Also as a side note I'm going to see if I can find a local shop to do a little port n polish on the new head. Nothing special just clean up the rough area's. Basically leaving the car stock, besides letting the head breath a little better. So would it be in my best interest to look into an exhaust system to help the head breath? Should I look into a bigger tb or maf? (exhaust and intake would be at a later time) By the way I'm new here if you haven't noticed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

Points 3,709, Level 38
Points: 3,709, Level: 38 Points: 3,709, Level: 38 Points: 3,709, Level: 38
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
timing belt
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 07-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
( o Y o )

Fan#: 32177
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
^that.

you might also need to pick up some buckets and/or shims to get the clearances in check on the valve train. when you pull everything off of the current head, mark everything for each cylinder and valve (like intake #1 cyl #1, intake #2 cyl #1, etc) because once you mix up the buckets, itll be a headache
Old 07-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

Points 542, Level 10
Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
You sure are planning a LOT of work because of a stripped out plug! You can fix the threads pretty easily, even with the head still on the motor. The cams run in the aluminum of the heads. The stock SVT head flows pretty well from all accounts and it is much easier to screw up the ports than make them better. A high-flow cat is worthwhile for power. Other than that, seriously, you are much better off just fixing your existing head rather than opening the big can of mess you are planning to. Just my opinion.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Well wouldn't of bough half, if any of it if I hadn't found that head on ebay for 400 bucks. Decided to pick it up, and get it port and polished then install it. I'm still up in the air about going FI with the car, or leaving it stock. Picked up the billet t-stat housing after reading the horror stories about the plastic one failing a lot. figured I'd upgrade the hoses while I have the coolant drained. Head is being fixed at the dealership, and will have the car back tomorrow. I guess I just kinda jumbled it together, and made it sound like I was making a big deal about the stripped spark plug.
**Just noticed you said it's easier to screw it up than make it better. With a port and polish. Something to consider. Thank you

Last edited by LilFociSVT; 07-12-2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: adding stuff
Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

Points 542, Level 10
Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
My pleasure! If you read a bunch on the SVTF, the guys at the Factory picked all the 'low hanging fruit' on this engine. Your local head expert probably isn't going to make improvements by hogging things out, and polishing what shouldn't be polished is going the wrong way.

Tom (who posts here a lot) probably has more experience than most on these engines and I think he'd concur that extensive head work isn't cost effective as the stock head flows really well. The limitations are elsewhere in the engine.

It would be nice to have an extra head laying around....just in case. It will always be worth good money whether you use it or not. Beyond a tune and HFC, if you want more.....FI is your friend. I, personally, think the engine runs great for its' displacement and enjoy using it. The SVTF's seem to be dying left and right....and there weren't that many of them to begin with so your car is getting rarer every day. Being gentle on the mods so you can sell it someday might be the best investment advice anyone has given you lately.

Hope the guys at the Stealership fix you up.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 48404
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF

Points 3,205, Level 35
Points: 3,205, Level: 35 Points: 3,205, Level: 35 Points: 3,205, Level: 35
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 2 JeepXJ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Welcome to the team!
Have you looked at just going the built engine route? I'm pretty pleased with my car with the small stuff I've done so far (see my sig), but I am looking at built engines now.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the replies. Haven't been on here much lateley. Yup the Stealership got her all fixed, and cost me a bit. Think I'm gonna save the head for a rainy day. I need to get around to ordering a HFC. Tried to buy one on ebay but ran into paypal problems. Guy contacted me about it. I just need to get around to sending him money. Shipping ain't cheap to Hawaii though. Might wait till I get back to the mainland to look into a built engine, and FI as I discovered the plans to rebuilt a track out here are stalled.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
your killing my fun

Fan#: 34544
What I Drive: 1995 shitbox neon red

FF Reputation: 18 SquirrelZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
welcome to svt and like many have already said not much improvement will come from porting and polishing the head.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 73172
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 PF02SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I didn't see a 12-pack on the list...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.