What does everyone think of this clutch/fly wheel kit, & clutch questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69390
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 zoolzoo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cool What does everyone think of this clutch/fly wheel kit, & clutch questions

Clutch Masters FX100 (Stage I) Clutch and Aluminum Flywheel combo for '02-04 SVT/ST170 Focus

http://focus.c-f-m.com/clutchmasters...t170focus.aspx

My SVT is pretty much stock @ 99k. When my clutch goes, I want to replace it with a kit that does not include a duel mass fly wheel. I was thinking about this kit, anyone have any experience with it? Also, is there anything else I need to complete a clutch installation with a new aluminum flywheel that IS NOT included in this kit? Ive never replaced a clutch before, so I'm not sure what to look out for.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20353
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT Coupe

FF Reputation: 2 Karniv04 Good Standing Member
Pre-warning if you read the reviews on the clutch/flywheel combos some of the CM stage 1's don't hold up that well and also the aluminum flywheels are a little too light for the SVT. You will hear chatter "noise" when idling with the AC on. If you don't mind the noise and are planning to do FI then go for it! I'd suggest the Luk combo if you are looking for a quiet DD

R.I.P. 2005 Liquid Grey ST
Old 06-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 64637
What I Drive: 2003 350Z Track

FF Reputation: 23 bmylez Great Standing Member
^^^ He said he doesn't want a dual mass flywheel. The Luk oem kit has the dual mass flywheel because, well, it's oem.

ClutchMaster is a good choice. Tons of people run it; mostly without problems.

You don't need anything else to do the installation except for your normal assortment of tools. An engine hoist would help a lot. As for parts, only thing extra I would consider is new flywheel bolts and axle seals.
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - cursed
2003 350Z Track - basically stock, and it runs
Old 06-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69988
What I Drive: Black 03 SVT

FF Reputation: 2 blackjack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
go with a Southbend Stage 1 set up. it'll hold up much longer than a CM stage 1.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karniv04 View Post
Pre-warning if you read the reviews on the clutch/flywheel combos some of the CM stage 1's don't hold up that well and also the aluminum flywheels are a little too light for the SVT. You will hear chatter "noise" when idling with the AC on. If you don't mind the noise and are planning to do FI then go for it! I'd suggest the Luk combo if you are looking for a quiet DD
I thought the dual mass flywheel is what bogs the SVT, and is also the reason for the TSB. Also I thought that any new OEM clutch kits did away with the dual mass concept. I am looking for a DD clutch but...it should perform better tan the stock set up.

Every stock clutch I have ever driven, performance and non performance, has been grabbier from a stop than the SVT. I do not want this to be the case any longer once it is time to replace my clutch. Is the dual mass flywheel the reason for this, and will the LUK OEM kit perform better?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69988
What I Drive: Black 03 SVT

FF Reputation: 2 blackjack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoolzoo View Post
I thought the dual mass flywheel is what bogs the SVT, and is also the reason for the TSB. Also I thought that any new OEM clutch kits did away with the dual mass concept. I am looking for a DD clutch but...it should perform better tan the stock set up.

Every stock clutch I have ever driven, performance and non performance, has been grabbier from a stop than the SVT. I do not want this to be the case any longer once it is time to replace my clutch. Is the dual mass flywheel the reason for this, and will the LUK OEM kit perform better?
the LUK replacement will perform the same as your current stock one. The only SVT stock clutch that is "stiffer/grabby" was the pre-TSB clutch, which is still installed on some 02 SVT's

The DM flywheel is not what makes the car bog. and ALL OEM LUK replacment kits come with a DM flywheel. Any other aftermarket clutch kit will come with either a steel or alum SOLID flywheel, and a clutch disk with internal springs.

IMO for a DD car, just get a LUK replacment for $425 off ebay. That kit can hold up to 250 lbs of torque, and it comes with everything you need * except flywheel bolts*
Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
the LUK replacement will perform the same as your current stock one. The only SVT stock clutch that is "stiffer/grabby" was the pre-TSB clutch, which is still installed on some 02 SVT's
Common misconception. All SVTs, '02 - '04 had the pre-TSB clutch. The TSB clutch came out after '02, that's all. That's straight from Steve @ Tousley's mouth (well, keyboard).
Old 06-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmylez View Post
Common misconception. All SVTs, '02 - '04 had the pre-TSB clutch. The TSB clutch came out after '02, that's all. That's straight from Steve @ Tousley's mouth (well, keyboard).

Can you elaborate a little bit? You are saying all SVTs have the pre-TSB clutch, yet the TSB clutch came out after 02; I dont get it.

In short... is my 03 clutch the "bad" one? (although it seems to be holding up excellently.)

Thanks

----

And not that it matters but typo post number 1; my car has 90k not 99k. :P
Old 06-11-2010, 06:17 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Yes, the TSB clutch came out, but it was *not* installed in any of the SVTs. You had to bring it into the dealership to have it installed. In other words, when the '02s first came out and people were having clutches crap out on them, they were SOL. Then, some time in '03, I believe, Ford said "Hey, there's a sweet new clutch everyone can come get." That's all.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmylez View Post
Yes, the TSB clutch came out, but it was *not* installed in any of the SVTs. You had to bring it into the dealership to have it installed. In other words, when the '02s first came out and people were having clutches crap out on them, they were SOL. Then, some time in '03, I believe, Ford said "Hey, there's a sweet new clutch everyone can come get." That's all.
Hmm. I bought my car used at a dealership. Ill keep telling myself the previous owner had the clutch replaced. :)

So just for reference, was Ford offering the clutch swaps free of charge?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.