SVT in Grand Rapids, MI - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74838
What I Drive: 2001, White, Ford Focus Wagon, ATX

Points 796, Level 14
Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 hamiltonfighter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
SVT in Grand Rapids, MI

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1727075729.html

I'm really wanting a SVTF. I really like this one but it has 120k miles. Does anyone recognize this Focus? What kinds of questions should I be asking? What kind of price should I be asking?

Thanks for any help,

Don Hamilton

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74084
What I Drive: 03 black svt

FF Reputation: 1 03black&bluSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
looks clean. kinda hi in price tho. make sure he has the cat other wise you wont pass smog. kinda of high miles for the price. i would get him to drop to atleast 5500. even tho he says it has been beat on, its moded. no body puts mods on a car and doesnt drive it hard. just take it on a test drive make sure it doesnt thro any codes. and if you like it get it. just do a good once over on the car making sure everything works. SVTs are really well built and you will like it
Old 05-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73134
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 2 Valky Good Standing Member
There isn't any smog testing in MI if thats where you live, but your profile says Omaha and Im not sure if they test there. It looks pretty clean and that's not a bad price I would say. The comp orange zx5's are pretty rare, only 51 made in 04.

I would be interested to know what aftermarket cams he has and whether he has a tune of some sort. I'm not sure if the engine life would be shortened by camming a svtf and not tuning it properly. If you go take a look at it a common problem is the famous thermostat housing leak (its on the right side of the head when facing the engine). Also, ask if the timing belt has been changed yet. Its an interface engine so if the belt snaps your pistons kiss the valves. If you can't change the belt yourself it is a little costly to have a shop do it, and with those miles its overdue if he hasn't done it already.

Don't forget about the normal stuff when you call, tire wear, any body damage, current state of the interior and so on. A lot of the guys here in Michigan put there SVTF's away for the winter because of salt, ask him if was a year round commuter or what.

Besides that SVTF's are pretty solid running cars, little problems here and there but most can be solved with staying on top of maintenance. If I lived closer to Grand Rapids I would go take a look for you and tell you what I think but I'm a few hours away. Post up on the Michigan People thread in the Great Lakes region forums and see if someone wouldn't mind taking a look, there are a few great guys on the west side of the state may look at it for ya. Good luck!
#1486 of 4788
_/\_ _/\_ _/\_ WMR #6 H-Stock _/\_ _/\_ _/\_
Old 05-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Wales!!

Fan#: 46854
What I Drive: 11 mustang

Points 15,779, Level 80
Points: 15,779, Level: 80 Points: 15,779, Level: 80 Points: 15,779, Level: 80
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 13 sjdwales Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
like he said^^^

talk to brad/ klodkrawler05, he lives verys close to grand rapids, he might look at it for you.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
because race car

Fan#: 60957
What I Drive: 2007 ms3

FF Reputation: 6 djo90 Good Standing Member
lol he said 12 spoke rims. They're EAP 15 spoke
Old 05-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74838
What I Drive: 2001, White, Ford Focus Wagon, ATX

Points 796, Level 14
Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 hamiltonfighter Good Standing Member
Thanks for all the info. I sent him an email right before i posted this, this morning. I asked about most of the stuff mentioned already. Just waiting for a reply. I'll see if I can get someone to take a look for me.

Oh, as mentioned above I am in Omaha, Nebraska, so I would be traveling to get this.

Thanks everyone,

Don Hamilton
Old 05-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
Get Squashed

Fan#: 33384
What I Drive: '04 Comp. Orange SVT 3dr.

Points 78,690, Level 100
Points: 78,690, Level: 100 Points: 78,690, Level: 100 Points: 78,690, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 44 OrangeSVTguy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Hmmmmm.... good price considering the mileage. And it's a 5 door Comp Orange!!!!! There's only 50 of them in the world mind you so that will just tell you how rare they are.

Ask him if he would include the stock cat because if you would ever need one, they are $2,000+ from Ford. He seems to have taken care of it as everything that needed to be replaced he already has done that.
SVT Squad #227 || Build # 1329 of 1978 || FF ROTM Oct. 2006
Old 05-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68819
What I Drive: 2004 Red SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 spvensko Good Standing Member
I paid roughly that for my 04 SVT and it only had 40K miles. Mine isn't an EAP, but at some point you have to decide whether you want the EAP package or 80,000 less miles.

I'd keep looking, IMO.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
Only Active 8-4:30

Fan#: 49800
What I Drive: 2014 Mocha Bronze Chevy Sonic 1.4T

Points 4,438, Level 42
Points: 4,438, Level: 42 Points: 4,438, Level: 42 Points: 4,438, Level: 42
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 67%
Activity: 67% Activity: 67% Activity: 67%
FF Reputation: 1 Chas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valky View Post
There isn't any smog testing in MI if thats where you live, but your profile says Omaha and Im not sure if they test there. It looks pretty clean and that's not a bad price I would say. The comp orange zx5's are pretty rare, only 51 made in 04.

I would be interested to know what aftermarket cams he has and whether he has a tune of some sort. I'm not sure if the engine life would be shortened by camming a svtf and not tuning it properly. If you go take a look at it a common problem is the famous thermostat housing leak (its on the right side of the head when facing the engine). Also, ask if the timing belt has been changed yet. Its an interface engine so if the belt snaps your pistons kiss the valves. If you can't change the belt yourself it is a little costly to have a shop do it, and with those miles its overdue if he hasn't done it already.

Don't forget about the normal stuff when you call, tire wear, any body damage, current state of the interior and so on. A lot of the guys here in Michigan put there SVTF's away for the winter because of salt, ask him if was a year round commuter or what.

Besides that SVTF's are pretty solid running cars, little problems here and there but most can be solved with staying on top of maintenance. If I lived closer to Grand Rapids I would go take a look for you and tell you what I think but I'm a few hours away. Post up on the Michigan People thread in the Great Lakes region forums and see if someone wouldn't mind taking a look, there are a few great guys on the west side of the state may look at it for ya. Good luck!
haha my thermostat is currently leaking, i really don't want to deal with it right now
Old 05-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73134
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 2 Valky Good Standing Member
Hey Chaos, I don't live too far away from you. If you ever need advice to a hand working on your svtf just PM me. I'll help if I can.
#1486 of 4788
_/\_ _/\_ _/\_ WMR #6 H-Stock _/\_ _/\_ _/\_

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.