Pondering Options - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72671
What I Drive: wrx

FF Reputation: 2 standard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Pondering Options

I have 2002 SVTf with a bit over 87k miles on it.. and as of now I'm working on getting it running it tip top shape. I've replaced the clutch, new plugs, front brakes, and thermostat/fixed the housing leak it had, so far.

I have a timing belt kit sitting in my living room waiting for installation, and a new poly motor mount on order.. I couldn't find an OEM replacement for the passenger side! So I went for that one, figured I won't mind the slightly rougher ride.. It shouldn't be too bad is it?

I'm also planning on doing the rear brakes, wires, serpentine belt, all the hoses on it, and probably new control arms and ball joints before they even become an issue.

As far as performance goes, I think I'm going to throw in a CAI, a short throw, and considering an off road pipe. I live in Michigan, and we don't have emissions testing so that's not an issue of any sort. I'm also wondering what wires to use, what CAI, short throw, and even pipe!

Would these upgrades be worth it? And does anyone have any recommendations or advice about anything? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 64637
What I Drive: 2003 350Z Track

FF Reputation: 23 bmylez Great Standing Member
Only having one poly motor mount will cause awkward behavior. I've heard just getting the lower torque mount is fine...but if you get a side one, you might as well get all 3.

ORP with stock exhaust is raspy. If you are set on an ORP...I would look into Borla exhaust from Mandrel Exhaust Systems some time down the road for a much better sound...or get a high flow cat from Jay Racing and keep your stock exhaust.

For wires, stock are fine. CAI...don't run one so others will have an opinion. I actually forget which short throw I have (friend put it in when he owned the car) but I think most of them are all good.

The upgrades are definitely worth it.
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - cursed
2003 350Z Track - basically stock, and it runs
Old 02-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
'Merica

Fan#: 47077
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT (gone), 2012 SEL

Points 8,576, Level 62
Points: 8,576, Level: 62 Points: 8,576, Level: 62 Points: 8,576, Level: 62
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 mikealicious Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
sounds like your doing all the right maintenece stuff. but why the control arms and ball joints? 87k miles isnt that high where you need to go crazy on that kinda stuff. I'd use that money towards go fast/handling parts. or even upgraded brakes.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
'Merica

Points 8,576, Level 62
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmylez View Post
Only having one poly motor mount will cause awkward behavior. I've heard just getting the lower torque mount is fine...but if you get a side one, you might as well get all 3.

ORP with stock exhaust is raspy. If you are set on an ORP...I would look into Borla exhaust from Mandrel Exhaust Systems some time down the road for a much better sound...or get a high flow cat from Jay Racing and keep your stock exhaust.

For wires, stock are fine. CAI...don't run one so others will have an opinion. I actually forget which short throw I have (friend put it in when he owned the car) but I think most of them are all good.

The upgrades are definitely worth it.
agreed on the mount. the rear one is the one to replace. keeps the motor from rocking back and forth.

as far as the ORP, as long as you combine it w/the right exhaust, its not that bad. I have the ORP and borla catback. doesnt sound raspy at all. here it is on the dyno Finally dyno'd my SVT
Old 02-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Well I do know that! And I'm not necessarily saying I'm doing the arms and joints right now, it's something I'd like to have done within a year or so.. Possibly by the end of summer. Like I said, kind of a preventative maintence deal. It's going to have to be done eventually! And at the beginning of August this year I plan on taking my Focus on a 2000 mile road trip around Michigan, so I want it running solid by then, and not have to worry about anything. A 600 mile tow bill would be insane :(

Anything else maintenance-wise I should be concerned with? It seems as though the SVT are reliable if you do the correct maintenance on them. Some people just don't take care of their cars!

And hmm.. I was concerned with the mount. I may possibly send it back and search for a OE motor mount for it? Would it be wise to do so?

And I like the sound of your exhaust! sounds very nice :) I know my car does not have the original exhaust system.. But I really haven't gotten underneath the back end to see what it is.. But I think it's an OE replacement of the original. I'm really not sure of it. :(
Old 02-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
'Merica

Points 8,576, Level 62
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I still dont think the control arms would need to be replaced. only issues I've heard w/them are the rear arms cracking due too big of a rear sway bar. you should be fine man. as far as preventative maintence, I would just do all of your fluids, filters, plugs, and probably your wires. other than that, just start modding. lol I say suspension upgrades are always fun. thats why I did all of mine. full bushings, adj shocks, springs, sway bars, strut bars, rear motor mount. it rides on the stiff side, but the backroads and canyon runs are AWESOME! dont send your mount back. just get the other 2 to make the family complete :)
Old 02-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Already did fluids with the clutch, and I may do that with the mounts. My previous/2nd car is a 1996 Chevy Blazer which is the roughest ride, ever.. So that's nothing to me, haha.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
'Merica

Points 8,576, Level 62
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
idno. w/my falken 615's and my suspension set on full stiff, it's a pretty rough ride. lol
Old 02-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53977
What I Drive: 02 zx3

Points 4,735, Level 43
Points: 4,735, Level: 43 Points: 4,735, Level: 43 Points: 4,735, Level: 43
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 9 02_z_x_3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
woah woah woah i have a stock rear mount with poly insert and a steeda drivers side and it only vibrates upon takeoff. dont go back to oem you wont regret it
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 02-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 64637
What I Drive: 2003 350Z Track

FF Reputation: 23 bmylez Great Standing Member
One preventative maintenance thing you can do is get the 2000 Contour thermostat housing assembly. The regular Zetec housing is known to be a huuuge piece of shizz. Call Tousley Ford @ 1-800-328-9552 and ask for Steve. Tell him you need the whole shabang for an SVT Focus.

Additionally, if you do not have the billet DSI lever from C-F-M get it now. You do not want that plastic thing breaking on you during a road trip. If it breaks, it burns out the IMRC, which is a $186 part.

Install the timing belt ASAP unless you know it has been changed previously. 87k miles on original timing belt is a disaster waiting to happen. Multiple people have had either tensioner/idler or belt failures at 45k to 55k miles and it trashed the valves/head.

Lastly, get a spare clutch master cylinder because yours will probably eventually start leaking. Happens to everyone and it's nice to have on hand. Just changed mine at 89k miles.
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - cursed
2003 350Z Track - basically stock, and it runs

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.