Exhaust and ignition questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2003, 06:50 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1225
What I Drive: 2003 Euro SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 SVT Driver Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exhaust and ignition questions

I have searched already, but to no luck so here it goes. If you change out the SVT stock exhaust does it have to be cut out like the regular Focus'? And what is anyones opinion on the thermal R&D exhaust? I don't want something that is loud, but I do want something with more of a tone than the stock exhaust. I plan to put on a FC ORP, so will the Thermal sound good with that set-up? Lastly is the Screamin Demon wire and coil set usable on the SVT?

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2003, 06:53 PM   #2
Project All Motor

Fan#: 1114
What I Drive: 2000 Sedan SE with Zetec engine

FF Reputation: 1 ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
I heard that the Thermal exhaust is LOUD!!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2003, 08:04 PM   #3
Black Magik

Fan#: 135
What I Drive: '00 Focus ZX3, '00 Civic EX Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You might want to look into the HKS cat-back for the ZX3. Im not exactly sure if it can be made to fit the SVT but it has a low quieter tone that sounds smooth all the time and looks great, Im pretty sure all of Thermals products are pretty loud
Old 10-19-2003, 12:57 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 647
What I Drive: focus SVT AND ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 imajsdaddy Good Standing Member
The SVT has a completely different exhaust system than the other foci! Don't even try it... It would be a disaster. As far as SVT cat backs.... Here are some links that might help you out. http://www.focus-central.com/catalog...=2&sid=&pid=13<---- MagnaFlow Cat Back

The MagnaFlow Ford Focus system is all stainless steel featuring 2.25" high-flowing mandrel-bent tubing, a straight through mirror finish muffler and is completed with a 3.5" double-wall polished stainless tip. You'll love the looks, performance and the smooth deep tone of this wide open performance system.
Price: $359.00
CAR-15682 ZX3, ZX5
CAR-15697 Sedan
CAR-15743 SVT

http://www.myfordfocus.com/performance.htm Below are ones from myfordfocus.com
Borla - SVT myFordPerformance.com $499.00
MagnaFlow - SVT myFordPerformance.com $342.00

The SVT has a different cat converter on it than any other focus... Even the ZX3/5's If you buy a standard focus cat back.... Good luck... You'll have a nice gap to try and fill

As far as welding or having to cut it.... Nope the SVTF is all bolted togeather! The wonders of SVT, Knowing the SVTF would get tweeked!
Old 10-19-2003, 01:01 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 647
What I Drive: focus SVT AND ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 imajsdaddy Good Standing Member
Re: Exhaust and ignition questions

Quote:
Originally posted by SVT Driver
I I plan to put on a FC ORP, so will the Thermal sound good with that set-up? Lastly is the Screamin Demon wire and coil set usable on the SVT?

Matt
If this is the case the ORP, why worry about a cat back? If the noise level is all you want I guarentee the ORP is load enough... My wife wouldn't ride in my SVTF when I had the ORP installed! She said it gave her headaches!

I agree it's loud! Needless to say I removed it and sold it!

Pick one or the other! Also note the ORP is illegal to install on a street registered vehicle... I was threatened with a $50,000 fine here in Alaska! They wern't to happy to hear I removed the cat, A REQUIRED EMISSIONS PART!

Good luck on whichever you pick.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:42 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 829
What I Drive: '03 SVTF Black

FF Reputation: 1 iwastei Good Standing Member
I changed my SVT Exhaust to a Borla High flow catback and I had to cut.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:11 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Re: Exhaust and ignition questions

Quote:
Originally posted by SVT Driver
. I plan to put on a FC ORP, so will the Thermal sound good with that set-up? Lastly is the Screamin Demon wire and coil set usable on the SVT?

Matt
I had the same question in mind too, so I emailed Ray Dixon and this was my answer. Hope it helps you out.

Yes, the Screamin Demon coil and Firepower wires do work on the SVT. They are sold as a kit, coil and wires together, for $143.95. The wire color choices are Blue, Red, Yellow, or Black.

You won't get any real HP gains, but will get a hotter spark because of the coil, and the wires are very good 10mm wires. They might be to "thick" to fit under the SVT's spark plug wire cover though, I don't know for sure.

Ray Dixon
Phone: 845-758-9717
Fax: 978-477-0258
info@myFordPerformance.com
http://www.myFordPerformance.com
Store Hours Mon-Fri 11:00-5:00 ET.

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.