SVT needs TLC from newbie(me) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 63873
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Ian97 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SVT needs TLC from newbie(me)

I'm hoping I have the correct forum. I'm an oldbie in terms of owning my 04 SVT since I got it back in 04. However, I'm a newbie here. I'm also a new home owner and with that home came a garage and a driveway, so I'd like to do some general maintenance to the car myself. Some things I can do at home, and some things I'll have to take to the dealer. The car has about 52,000k on it. Here are some things rolling around in my head, any thoughts would be appreciated:

- Replace fuel and air filters. I'm assuming I don't need to use motorcraft parts for this since they're pretty generic. Is there any difference between just a paper filter and the drop in K&N other than the latter being reusable? Can I just walk into pep boys to get the fuel filter and not be doing something stupid?

- The car seems to have strange electrical issue where the dashboard lights and stereo will intermittently flicker. They don't completely blink, but there is a weak flicker. Is this a common issue?

- I'm looking to replace the tires. I need a set that will be good for all seasons with a possibility of very light snow duty in a pinch. I'm looking at the Kumho Ecsta ASX. The reviews seem to average pretty good and the price is right too.

- The transmission makes a knocking noise when the clutch is not depressed. It's been doing this for a while and there doesn't seem to be any ill effects other than sounding annoying. The dealer claimed they would have to charge me just to figure out the issue. I'm guessing this is just a "me" issue, but I thought I'd bring it up.

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 53215

FF Reputation: 5 dmeray1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Welcome aboard!!! This forum will try to answer all of your questions. Check the "stickied" sections as there are many "how tos" and plenty of opinons. You will see many things that are "free" that you can do to your SVT. Check the "read first" on the SVT Performance thread.
Dan
'04 Sonic Blue SVT. Built 10/30/03, 344 of 1978. CFM STS, CFM TB, K&N Drop In, 2 1/2" Borla Center Exit, Jay's HFC, Energy rear mount, Edge rear wiper, Eibach Pro Kit, Mini mud flaps, RS wing, Massive front brace. Tom's Tune.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41195
What I Drive: 2002 InfraRed SVTF

Points 237, Level 4
Points: 237, Level: 4 Points: 237, Level: 4 Points: 237, Level: 4
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 FrozenFoci Good Standing Member
Hey, welcome :-D

Fuel filter: just get the right part number, and you're golden.
Air filter: the K&N drop-in is alleged to be the best intake option for the SVT, including aftermarket intakes. I happen to run a CAI, but there's not any legitimate power gains from it. The K&N drop-in will be perfect though.

I think I've had a wee bit of flicker with my gauges from time to time, mostly since the stock tune sucks juevos and does funky things with its low idle. Probably nothing to worry about... fix: any decent tune (or a fantastic tune, as by Tom [b16sir1991]).

Regarding the "all-seasonness" of replacement tires: are you looking at a lot of rain, and pretty decent chances of snow here and there? If so, it looks like the ASX's should do just fine. If you're looking for something that will provide a bit more stick for fun driving, both wet and dry, and at least get you from point A to B in light, very rare, pinch-scenario snowfall... I was pleased to find these Sumitomos that provide, by my seat-of-the-pants meter, wet and dry traction comparable to my Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's of the past. I've also run them through falling snow/slush on the 99 grapevine, and managed well enough without incident. As long as you're accustomed to driving in low-traction situations, you can get by with just about any tire when you need to (I grew up driving in Alaskan winters... heh).

SVT clutches... notoriously suck like the stock tune. If you're on the original one at 52k, good work so far... heh. Most develop some kind of flywheel chatter at some point (or always) in their lifetime. Is it possible to upload a video or audio clip of your clunking noise? Someone could probably pin down exactly what's up if you could link a youtube clip or something.

Anyway, that's a lot of words to provide little information - hopefully some of it helps :)

Again, welcome to the crew, and enjoy perusing the forums. Searches and stickies are our best friends... heh. Good luck with all the work you do - anything you're able to work on yourself just deepens the sacred SVT-driver relationship.
'02 InfraRed SVTF, #2,783/4,788: Tom's tune; JayRacing HFC; Hawk pads; Torsen ATBD; CFM pulleys, mounts, and STS; Screamin Demon & Livewires; AEM-esque CAI; lunchbox hack; EAP rims; 2" German antenna.

For Sale!!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 53839
What I Drive: 2003 InfraRed Focus SVT 5 door

Points 262, Level 5
Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 svtf2k3 Good Standing Member
Generic filters are okay to use. A definite yes for the K&N drop-in, though. Be sure to pick up a Haynes or Chilton manual from your local auto-parts store. Especially before doing your fuel filter - depresurize your fuel system first.

All season tires - I recommend the Kumho ecsta ASX or Falken Ziex 912. Both pretty good.

As for the knocking. Well, that is your clutch going bye-bye. Many of us here have had the same issue. If you want it fixed right the first time familiarize yourself with TSB# 04-21-19. It will describe in detail what needs to fixed and what parts have been modified to address the issue.
Welcome and good luck!
If you test drive just one car this year, make it the Ford SVT Focus. Drive it on the freeway, around the block and through an auto-cross course, if you can. Accelerate hard, brake harder. Autoweek 6/27/2002
Old 04-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #5
Bewst Anyone!!!

Fan#: 62993
What I Drive: 2004 turbo'd svt

Points 3,266, Level 35
Points: 3,266, Level: 35 Points: 3,266, Level: 35 Points: 3,266, Level: 35
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 7 pitchedblack04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
just to clear it up frozen was talkin about a tune from tom. tom is 1turbofocus. i believe mike from hilbish b16sir1991.

Welcome to ff.

jason
Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49219
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVTF 5dr

Points 932, Level 16
Points: 932, Level: 16 Points: 932, Level: 16 Points: 932, Level: 16
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 9 FocusOnU2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian97 View Post

- The transmission makes a knocking noise when the clutch is not depressed. It's been doing this for a while and there doesn't seem to be any ill effects other than sounding annoying. The dealer claimed they would have to charge me just to figure out the issue. I'm guessing this is just a "me" issue, but I thought I'd bring it up.
The noise your hearing is the throw-out bearing. It doesn't mean your clutch is going out. It's just loud! Almost all the SVTF's have this noise. I got my 04 SVTF with 76000 miles and i got 106000 miles on it now and i have the original clutch. Rattles every day and no problems.
#141 OF 1079 BORN 10/24/03

Midwest crew #34
Old 04-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 63873

FF Reputation: 1 Ian97 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the responses!

I spent some time last night digging through some threads and stickies. The drop in K&N seems cheap enough at around $40. I actually have a haynes manual for the focus. It's not specific to the SVT but I figured for basic stuff there probably isn't much of a difference. Thanks for the heads up about depressurizing the fuel system first.

I can probably upload a sound byte this weekend if I have a few spare minutes. It is an annoying sound but I can deal with it as long as the car keeps shifting properly which so far seems to be the case. I don't beat on it much if that helps in this case. I've done autocross once a year and a half back or so.

Also, by tune, I'm guessing you mean having the car flashed. What's the plus/minus benefits from that?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49485
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 6 lildudeinacar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I got the Kunmo KH16's Grand Touring all season. My frist pick was the General Tire Altimax HPs 215/45,17
Old 04-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41195
What I Drive: 2002 InfraRed SVTF

Points 237, Level 4
Points: 237, Level: 4 Points: 237, Level: 4 Points: 237, Level: 4
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 FrozenFoci Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchedblack04 View Post
just to clear it up frozen was talkin about a tune from tom. tom is 1turbofocus. i believe mike from hilbish b16sir1991.

Welcome to ff.

jason
Thanks pitched - no more smoking crack before posting for me... heh

Tom and Mike: apologies
'02 InfraRed SVTF, #2,783/4,788: Tom's tune; JayRacing HFC; Hawk pads; Torsen ATBD; CFM pulleys, mounts, and STS; Screamin Demon & Livewires; AEM-esque CAI; lunchbox hack; EAP rims; 2" German antenna.

For Sale!!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
Wings & Teeth

Fan#: 48696
What I Drive: a wide svt

FF Reputation: 7 WRCwannabe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
change the PCV filter also!!!
helps trust me.

mine weight about 10 times as much as a brand new one. it was so clogged.

and it cost 2 dollars and its easy to do
Jeremy Clarkson on the MK1 Focus RS "The reason it was so quick round our track is simple: this car handles like it's in a cartoon."

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.