IMRC mystery - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 11065
What I Drive: 2003 red SVT ZX-5

FF Reputation: 1 terry brubaker Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
IMRC mystery

I've had the P1518 code for awhile, but the car drives fine. Yesterday I finally pulled the air cleaner box to see if the DSI was working, and it appears to be just fine... it rotates counterclockwise on startup and then goes clockwise at around 5000 rpm, and there are no funny noises from the IMRC. I put the air cleaner back on and cleared the trouble code, and the CEL went off. The one odd thing I noticed was that the breather hose was not plugged into the air cleaner box when I first took it off, so perhaps the end of the hose was somehow interfering with the DSI, but that doesn't seem too likely.

Anyway, I was going to get the car smogged today, and the CEL came back on, and my scanner says P1518 again.

Both the DSI and the IMRC are the original stock items. I assume that it won't pass CA smog with that code; at least, my scanner says no...

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

Points 12,236, Level 72
Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
Its still working but sometimes is slow to react. Thats what the problem is. You need a new one. I can get you a new one cheaper than your dealer by far.. PM me if you need one.

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49485
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 6 lildudeinacar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
mine start to not act right about 60 or higher, Did it last summer some days, didnt do it in the winter, frist warm day here and it geeked up Seems to me like it would have to oppoiste effect Cold shrink warm expand
Old 03-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Wings & Teeth

Fan#: 48696
What I Drive: a wide svt

FF Reputation: 7 WRCwannabe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
well when metal get hot it expands, so the metal wire would expand and loosen, opening the intake manifold.

i had the same problem, fine in the cold weather but about 60 or so it started being a puta.
then after i drive for awhile itll open :(
Jeremy Clarkson on the MK1 Focus RS "The reason it was so quick round our track is simple: this car handles like it's in a cartoon."
Old 03-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35884
What I Drive: F-250 6.7L Powerstroke

Points 977, Level 16
Points: 977, Level: 16 Points: 977, Level: 16 Points: 977, Level: 16
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 5 jmkreege Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
the expansion in the wire definitely is large enough to cause your problem. you more than likely have a bad IMRC

When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 11065
What I Drive: 2003 red SVT ZX-5

FF Reputation: 1 terry brubaker Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Update 4/1/09 (no foolin')

Thanks to b16sir1991, I ordered the part on Monday and it arrived Tuesday. Took a couple of hours to put in, and I cleared the code and it hasn't come back. Now just have to do a few trip cycles to get the monitors run.

A couple of installation tips:

- No need to remove headlight; the IMRC is easily accessible from underneath if you put the car on jack stands.
- Leave the old mounting bracket on and remove the IMRC from the bracket. 3 easily accessible bolts.
- Getting the cable clip off is the toughest part. What finally worked for me was to put a miniature vice grip on the narrow part of the plastic clip, rotate the DSI counterclockwise by hand and push against it with the vice grips. Popped right off.
- Removing the battery and tray will make it easier to route the cable.

Thanks to everyone who's posted on the IMRC problem; I learned a lot, and saved about $500 by avoiding the dealer.

TB
Old 04-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49485
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 6 lildudeinacar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
i am not worried about it, I think it sounds cool. yeah you dont have any low end power, but it sounds sweet down low then when the rpms get up there, woo wee hot damn I think of think of it as a extremely large turbo lag lol minus the turbo and all the sweet noises it makes

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.