Full build begins - and I mean FULL build - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61023
What I Drive: 02 Focus SVT

Points 2,135, Level 27
Points: 2,135, Level: 27 Points: 2,135, Level: 27 Points: 2,135, Level: 27
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 dcspeed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Full build begins - and I mean FULL build

Alright I figured it’s time to stop lurking and formally announce my project.

First a little background, I am one of the owners of a performance garage, P3 Performance in MD, we specialize in direct injection forced induction and my other car is a mazdaspeed6 which I have taken to a few HPDE and got hooked. It’s a great car with great power but it weighs 3600lbs and eats tires and brakes, and is at an inherent disadvantage in the twisties given all that weight. I managed to blow my motor at an event at VIR, my dad was also there with his 02 SVT and his car did double duty all weekend. I have to say I was very impressed even though the car was on all season tires and only upgrades were pads and brake fluid.
I came across an 02 SVT for $3K that barely runs and had some interior issues but perfect for turning into a track car as I would be replacing/upgrading nearly everything anyway. Between my experiences driving my dad’s and the fact that one of my partners is a fofo head who previously had a supercharged SVT, made the purchase pretty much a no brainer for me.

Current condition of the car.

As I mentioned it barely runs. I purchased it from cjmartinyZX3, who himself bought it to turn into a track car. He started the rehabilitation and didn’t have the time to continue. The block has 155K miles on it and he had installed a 55K head. Compression is down but consistent across all cylinders. It’s also quickly apparent the previous owner had extensive mods and not all done well. Nearly all visible wiring under the hood has been cut/spliced/tapped and then there is the NOS line I found.
It quickly became apparent to me it would be wise to not trust anything currently in the car and I would need to start with a clean sheet.

I have been accumulating parts for the last 3 months, here’s what I currently have in order of installation;

1)Bought an 03 motor with 58K miles on it from the junk yard. Complete motor swap
2)Torsen diff to install while the motor tranny is out
3)Clutch master stage3 clutch. Apparently the car currently has a fidanza flywheel with an unknown stage1 clutch. Upgrading to stage 3 because…well keep reading
4)I have acquired complete engine wiring harnesses. I have the main harness that goes through the firewall, the harness that connects to the injectors, and the front fan harness. While the motor and tranny are out all wiring will be replaced. Nothing worse than tracking down random electrical gremlins when you are trying to sort out and tune a car.
5)New alternator, starter, water pump, and oil pump. Now’s the time to replace it and with a 155K block in the car…who know about the current pieces. Install CFM throttle body
6)Install H&R sway bars while I have the cross member out.
6)Reinstall motor and tranny.
&)Install high flow cat and new oxygen sensors
7)Replace all brake components. EBC slotted rotors, EBC yellow stuff, Stainless brake lines, Super Blue fluid
8)Figure out how to defeat the airbag light on the dash. Car has no airbags and came with a momo wheel.
9)Leave in stock front seats, reinstall front seatbelts, and get the car inspected and tagged. I don’t have a tow vehicle and will be driving the car to events. (Interior is already stripped from the front seats back)
10)Install H&R coilovers.
11)Change wheels to 17” Team Dynamics Pro Race 1 with 215/45/17 falken azenis rubber
12)Strip out all interior roof trim and sunroof delete. I am looking into having a carbon fiber panel made to replace the glass. When I have further details on this I will post to the community to see if others are also interested in a similar piece
13)strip the rest of the interior. I will leave door panels, dash, and center console but the rest is gonna go.
14)Mount KIRKEY DELUXE ROAD RACE SEATs. I’m a big guy and the only seats that will fit. Remove stock seatbelts, install 3 point harnesses that utilize the rear seat belt mounting point.
15)Install water temp and oil pressure gauges where the radio used to be.

Alright I am tired just from typing all of this. Clearly I have a lot of work in front of me. At this point there is HPDE up at Road America at the end of April I am leaning towards going to I could either take the focus or my speed6.

Stage 2

1)Install precision turbo kit. Yep…gt28 going in hence the spec3 clutch. The kit is here and tormenting me
2)Install AFR and boost gauges
3)Install J&S safeguard. Hopefully the backordered gauges will be available by the time I get to this point.
4)Get Tom to tune it for me. We do actually have our own 4wd mustang dyno at our facility so I’m not sure if I will travel to him or get a remote tune. I guess it depends on where I am with my clutch break in. If it needs more miles, I will drive down to him. I am going with a target of 250whp which should be 10psi

At this point this thing should be a monster on track days.

Stage 3

1) Get a roll cage fabricated and installed. Upgrade harnesses to 5 or 6 point.
2)Create my own custom exhaust. I’m just looking for an excuse to learn how to weld.

Thanks for taking the time to read along. If you have any questions or suggestions for the build, please let me know. I will be updating this thread as I progress. Speaking of which I need to get my camera to the shop…

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

Points 32,330, Level 100
Points: 32,330, Level: 100 Points: 32,330, Level: 100 Points: 32,330, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
pictures man!

take pictures!

i can't wait to see this, its gonna be awesome!
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Wings & Teeth

Fan#: 48696
What I Drive: a wide svt

FF Reputation: 7 WRCwannabe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
while ur in the engine build process i will gladly get ur tc broken in :)
haha
but for real this is gonna be a sick svt
Jeremy Clarkson on the MK1 Focus RS "The reason it was so quick round our track is simple: this car handles like it's in a cartoon."
Old 03-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
Slow n lifted

Fan#: 44983
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

Points 9,874, Level 66
Points: 9,874, Level: 66 Points: 9,874, Level: 66 Points: 9,874, Level: 66
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 21 egman2005 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
sounds nice! but please dont use the percision kit! with the amount of money you are putting into it why not get toms DIY kit? its alot nicer or just get the manifold and make your own piping.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,135, Level 27
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by egman2005 View Post
sounds nice! but please dont use the percision kit! with the amount of money you are putting into it why not get toms DIY kit? its alot nicer or just get the manifold and make your own piping.
Easy answer for this one, got it used and at a great price. I have often been on the losing end of selling used parts because of a direction change or upgrades. This was also a COMPLETE kit even including oil pan with oil return welded in, diablo, etc, and has even been modified to install on an SVT. I also have the luxury of being able to fabricate changes if need be. Step one is I am sending the exhaust manifold out for ceramic coating while I work on the engine/tranny issues.

Thanks for the encouragment guys, I am also really excited about this car. What's weird is I have all the parts in my possession now. Would make for a crazy picture but lots of unpacking and packing. They're there to encourage me, speaking of which I am heading to the shop today after work to continue the motor pull. That's been very interesting so far, first time I have pulled a motor.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44766
What I Drive: 02 SVTF

Points 716, Level 14
Points: 716, Level: 14 Points: 716, Level: 14 Points: 716, Level: 14
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 8 jdiaz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
good luck! cant wait to see pics!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50932
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 2.3L

FF Reputation: 2 polishlanman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Yes, post pictures for sure. That will keep people's interest.

Sounds like a hell of a project, lots of fun!
You will learn a lot in the process.

Have fun and good luck! Welcome to FF.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50932
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 2.3L

FF Reputation: 2 polishlanman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
shit, double post :(
Old 03-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
RIP 02 SVT 0209

Fan#: 35104
What I Drive: 04 PWSC EAP SVT - 04 Kawasaki ZX6R

Points 17,058, Level 83
Points: 17,058, Level: 83 Points: 17,058, Level: 83 Points: 17,058, Level: 83
Level Up 42% Completed
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 15 volcomstone1966 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (46)
thats one hell of a project,
sounds fun
04 SVT EAP #1131 -POWERWORKS-Torsen-Clutch Masters-Top Speed-Massive-Brembo-Fifteen52-Steeda-UNDER CONSTRUCTION
2K14 Turbo Veloster
04 Kawasaki ZX6R
Old 03-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,135, Level 27
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I've been excited about it since I bought the car but have been reading and researching first. Then we we opened our shop back in Jan, we hit the ground running and have had a lot of client work. It's been great for paying the bills but your personal projects really suffer.

The motor was another piece that took some time, the yards I found that had SVT motors relatively close by don't ship. I had to rent a truck and take a day off work to go get the motor.

Last edited by dcspeed; 03-24-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.