Should I buy an SVT? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 57734
What I Drive: 2002, Yellow, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 IM Buddy8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Should I buy an SVT?

I currently have an 02 ZX3 MTX with 101k on it. It's got svt suspension magnaflow cat back and CAI.

Will I notice a decent difference in power from a stock 02 SVT with 130k? I'm used to driving a SHO and when I get on the highway with my focus it feels like I'm standing still.

What would be a good price for an 02 SVT with 130K in need of new rear tires, headunit occasionally eats cd's and CEL on due to O2 Sensors.

I'm just curious if buying it is worth my time or if I won't even notice a difference. What is the WHP of a stock SVT vs a stock ZETEC in a ZX3 also what is the difference in quarter mile times stock? 0-60 times?

Thanks,
Ryan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 46561
What I Drive: 10 Forte DD,Comp SVTF, 14 Fiesta ST

Points 16,375, Level 82
Points: 16,375, Level: 82 Points: 16,375, Level: 82 Points: 16,375, Level: 82
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 28 PumkinSvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (33)
find a zx3 wit a 2.3 duratec motor in it

HKS||Garrett||TopSpeed||Tial||Massive||
Old 01-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Moved you to the SVT Owners Lounge.

Ultimately, the decision is yours.
There's a lot more to the SVTF than just increased power.
Brakes, supsension, interior, exterior, etc...

Stock WHP can be as low as 140hp, to a high of 150hp.
^^^Variances in cam timing and compression ratio affect the outcome.
(I have no idea what numbers are for a standard Zetec)

Stock SVTF 1/4 times are mid to high 15's.
(Again, I have no idea what the numbers are for a standard model)
As far as 1/4 times though, remember that is NOT the SVTF's forte at all.

If you're after 1/4 times, I'd take PumkinSvt's suggestion.
But, if you're after a well balanced package that has respectable 1/4 times, and phenomenal braking and cornering, then the SVTF is your answer.

As far as a price,
I'd search around this forum area, as there's plenty of "how much is this SVTF worth" types of threads.

Here's some info threads:
SVT Owner Reviews: SVT Dyno Thread
POLL : 1/4 mile times - SVTF
How much did you pay for your SVTF ?
^^^Might want to look at the later postings in this thread.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I don't know that it would be worth the hassle and money to switch to the SVT. There's about a 25-30whp difference between a ZX3 and an SVT stock for stock. You could pretty easily make up that difference with mods or a Jackson Racing supercharger would bump you up to around 170whp and wouldn't cost that much. The SVT brakes are much better but can bought separate and also the SVT 6spd is something you really wouldn't get but some prefer the 5spd. It's really up to you. I'd recommend test driving an SVT and seeing for yourself the difference.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 01-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 40538
What I Drive: 2000 Celica GT-S 6MT

FF Reputation: 7 RhodySVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If you really want an SVT, hold out for the Euro, otherwise I'd say offer the guy about 4500, cuz Darko just sold his 2003 Euro with about 90k miles for 5500 or so. I sold my 2002 with no issues, close to excellent condition and 70k miles for 6500, and that was with HIDs, a Borla, Predator tune, etc etc
2002 Sonic Blue SVT #62 SOLD
2004 CD Silver SVT ZX5 Euro PowerWorks#1062 of 1079 SOLD to ADAMSVT
Foci I will miss ye...
Old 01-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodySVT View Post
If you really want an SVT, hold out for the Euro, otherwise I'd say offer the guy about 4500, cuz Darko just sold his 2003 Euro with about 90k miles for 5500 or so. I sold my 2002 with no issues, close to excellent condition and 70k miles for 6500, and that was with HIDs, a Borla, Predator tune, etc etc
What if he took $3,500 for the car? or maybe even closer to 3,000? It's got high miles (130k) and CEL on and he's blaming 02 sensors who knows could be cat or something else cause he changed 02's with bosch and didn't fix it..
Old 01-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31100
What I Drive: 03 Black SVTF

Points 3,466, Level 36
Points: 3,466, Level: 36 Points: 3,466, Level: 36 Points: 3,466, Level: 36
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 ken6x6 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
go to KBB and see what its worth, then go to the guy take it for a test drive, negotiate the CEL, miles and condition of it, and take it from there.

by the way BOSCH sux!!
03 SVTF #3804, full suspension, CM FX300, Torsen LSD, no cat, dual exhaust, Tom's tune. 167whp 154 wtq (dyno jet) and some other stuff. dyno- http://www.youtube.com/user/ken6x6#p/a/u/1/cKH4FX7c9L4
Old 01-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 29836
What I Drive: 2008 MS3

FF Reputation: 8 focusdarko Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
As Rhody said, i just sold my 03 EAP for $5500, not because i was desperate and needed to get rid of it because i felt that was a fair price for my car. And my car was 100% stock and very clean inside and mechanically perfect, except for an 02 sensor which was nothing. For an svt with 130k i honestly say no more than $4000, especially since it doesn't have EAP. But goodluck and i hope it works out for you.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19440
What I Drive: red 2002 svt focus

FF Reputation: 13 nomad327 Great Standing Member
I have owned an 89 SHO since new, bought two of them then, still have one. They are probably the fastest of the SHO's, and it is a bit faster (not much) than my stock 02 SVT. The SVT has the same ability to gain speed very quickly once rolling, (even in sixth gear) that makes the SHO such fun. The SVT has better handling, much better brakes, and is better made overall with more equipment. You can't even compare the shift linkage which is the one weak point of the SHO's, even with the later model linkage. The SHO is easier to launch, and is faster than almost any regular car through second gear, and downright crazy at extreme speeds due to the high RPM horsepower. That said, the SVT gives almost as good of an experience with power and is much superior overall. The power complaints on this board are all from people that wanted a stoplight machine, and bought a road machine by mistake. If you love an SHO, you will love an SVT Focus as much or more. It's a bit subtle, you might not notice it on a test drive, but you will find yourself driving faster overall, not slower.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Should I buy an SVT?

I currently have an 02 ZX3 MTX with 101k on it. It's got svt suspension magnaflow cat back and CAI.

Will I notice a decent difference in power from a stock 02 SVT with 130k? I'm used to driving a SHO and when I get on the highway with my focus it feels like I'm standing still.

What would be a good price for an 02 SVT with 130K in need of new rear tires, headunit occasionally eats cd's and CEL on due to O2 Sensors.

I'm just curious if buying it is worth my time or if I won't even notice a difference. What is the WHP of a stock SVT vs a stock ZETEC in a ZX3 also what is the difference in quarter mile times stock? 0-60 times?

Thanks,
Ryan

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.