Anyone have their SVT engine blowup? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 04:21 AM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3653
What I Drive: 2004 Screaming Yellow EURO SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 2 ~04~SVT~ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Anyone have their SVT engine blowup?

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes...

So a month and a half ago I'm driving to town and I hear a slight squeeling in the passengers side of the engine bay,then a few miles later my radio turns itself off, then the dash lights start dimming and flickering, followed by relays clicking in the dash until I turned off the rear defrost?!?! Get about 1/2 mile doing this till the headlights shut off and I lose all power, come to find the alt is fried and even has electrical charring all inside it (smelled horrible too).

Order a new alt from local parts store, comes in and the pulley is all wrong, my 04 has some weird one-way clutch bearing pulley on it, search the net and find a local dealer selling the right alt for only $145, sweet, cheaper than the one from the parts store!

Then I wait 1 MONTH for it to show up.

Put it in and car starts up PERFECT! Drive to the parts store (1/4m away) to get a rubber grommet that I lost off one of the parts I moved to change the alt and before I get to their parking-lot the car makes a loud thud followed by a whizzing noise like a gear free-spinning very fast and the car completely shuts off but still has electrical (ie radio works, windows, ect).

I roll into the parts store parking lot, cursing the auto Gods.

Parts guys come out and tell me its the Starter?!?! WTF?? That makes my car die while its running? OK, order me one!

Call the tow-truck, he gets there hours later and has me try to crank it, he says "They told you it was the starter? Thats why they SELL parts and dont work in the repair shop, its 100% your timing belt" So I tow it to my house and the next day check whats covered under the Powertrain Warranty, sweet it says Timing belt and I have coverage till 02/14/09! Roadside assistance tows it to the dealership (across the street from the parts store hehe).

They call me a few hours later asking if I race my car, over-rev it, or do anything like that, and also why the computer has been cleared. I tell them about how we changed the alt so the battery was out for a month while we waited for them to get the part in, and unless driving 35-40 MPH to work everyday is considered racing then no I dont ever abuse the car. They reluctantly say ok.

No call for a day, so I call them to see whats going on. They say we need to take the head off to see whats going on, do you want to pay $600 for us to do it? I say, no its still under warranty, service guys says no it isnt, 3yr/36k mile warranty on powertrain. I call BS on him so he looks it up, and WOW I'm right! 5yr/100k on powertrain so I have till 02/14/09! (I hate dealerships!)

They dont call for a day so I call again, waiting for them to tell me its my fault somehow and that I owe them alot of money for them to tell me its toasted (by the way its an 2004 with 23k miles). They say yup, it was the timing, somehow it got off, bent all the exhauste valves and dented the pistons and basically tore up the insides of your engine. Super....

The service guy says he just got confromation and they are going to not only fix the engine for the $100 deductible but put in an entirely new engine (remanufactured of course from Ford) in there and that it will be here in a few days, and it should be back to me next week all good to go! I can barely talk to the guy I am so friggin happy.

He tells me before I hang up, so you pay us $100 and Ford is picking up the rest of the bill, all $10,961 of it, HOLY CR*P! Thank goodness for 1 month of warranty left!

#387/1079 Born on December 10th
Screamin Demon / Livewires / 2002 Euro Grille
Metallic Tinted windows / EuroStar LED tails
Steeda tri-ax/f STS / Saleen Shift Knob
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 40538
What I Drive: 2000 Celica GT-S 6MT

FF Reputation: 7 RhodySVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
It doesn't happen very often to a stock SVT motor, but with any car there are a few inexplicable failures. At least SVT engines don't fail at the rate WRX and Mazdaspeed 3 engines do....
2002 Sonic Blue SVT #62 SOLD
2004 CD Silver SVT ZX5 Euro PowerWorks#1062 of 1079 SOLD to ADAMSVT
Foci I will miss ye...
Old 01-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 54713
What I Drive: 02RedSVT #306

FF Reputation: 19 Yocrew Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Wow, that's amazing. I wish I was lucky enough to have a warr. when my engine blew. You lucked out sir.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50140
What I Drive: 2006 CD Silver ZX4 SE,2002 WhiteZTS

FF Reputation: 1 jzizzle325 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Gah. Well thats freakin sweet.
Lucky you.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Make darn sure you're getting the SVT block/head/etc, and not the standard model engine.
The reason I say that, is have a really hard time believing they can get one there that fast.
There's people here that couldn't find one from the Dealer.

You might want to get a hold of Mike Trendel (b16sir1991 on FF) at Hilbish Motors.
He is a vendor on this site, and has his own forums:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=94
NOTE!
Calling him will get much quicker results than posting a thread or sending him a PM.
^^^He should be able to tell what to look for for serial numbers and the like to make sure you're getting the SVTF engine.

BTW...
Where have you been?
It's been a LONG time since we've seen you here.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Wow you lucked out. When my transmission went out I tried the same thing but then they saw the supercharger, the exhaust, intake, reflashed ecu etc and told me no way. Oh well.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 01-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
what it be like

Fan#: 40563
What I Drive: 03 EAP

Points 42,753, Level 100
Points: 42,753, Level: 100 Points: 42,753, Level: 100 Points: 42,753, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 27 dirtbrown Great Standing Member
nice to hear a story where Ford actually backs its customers
Old 01-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Wings & Teeth

Fan#: 48696
What I Drive: a wide svt

FF Reputation: 7 WRCwannabe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
how do they know u have a reflashed ecu?
Jeremy Clarkson on the MK1 Focus RS "The reason it was so quick round our track is simple: this car handles like it's in a cartoon."
Old 01-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 red mazdaspeed3 w/tech package

Points 4,357, Level 42
Points: 4,357, Level: 42 Points: 4,357, Level: 42 Points: 4,357, Level: 42
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 22 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
The techs can plug in a scan tool and see that a non-ford tune is loaded in the ecu.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Wings & Teeth

Fan#: 48696
What I Drive: a wide svt

FF Reputation: 7 WRCwannabe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
oh i see, with an OBDII scanner?
Jeremy Clarkson on the MK1 Focus RS "The reason it was so quick round our track is simple: this car handles like it's in a cartoon."

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.