upgrades worth the money - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 49946
What I Drive: 2004 black svt zx5

FF Reputation: 1 jessies04svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
upgrades worth the money

so my girlfriend wants to learn to work on cars and how to make them faster as i have an 11 sec mustang and she says this way she can spend time with me doing something that i love doing.

so i go out and buy her this 04 four door( we have a family) svt focus ( witch is why im here) as a loyal mustang enthusiast im familiar with using the search button on forum.

my porblem is this ive searched the usual upgrades for the car intake exuast preditor iginition and it seems to me that some arent worth the money so i would like to take a poll sort of, of performance upgrades that she will feel after she works hard on her car.

i see that it already had a kick a$$ header so i know that wont need to be upgraded. but ... what should be upgraded here are the parts ive narrowed it down to and if you guys think something else should work better or be ordered first let me know. i just dont want her to work on the car and learn and then be like well what for it doesntfeel any different.

1. cold air kit
a. long or
b. short ram
c. witch brand

2. catback
a. size
b. brand
c. worth the money? ive read that on a stock focus there no gain to upgrade the exhaust at all because the stock exhaust is really efficient.

3. throttle body
a. ported or aftermarket (i already ported the stock one out so will there be a difference in the aftermarket gain)

4. tuner
a. what brand
b. is it worth it

5. pulleys
a. brand
b. what material

i guess thats it so guys mostly i want to know witch of the upgrades she will feel the most cost isnt to big of a problem i just want her to belike wow what a difference. this thing feels faster

by the way after being a longtime mustang enthusiast it is great to see for put out an import stomper i love driveing her car it is so much fun to drive
sorry about the long post but please help

thanks nick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #2

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2013 Red ST & 2009 Focus Race Car

Points 5,488, Level 47
Points: 5,488, Level: 47 Points: 5,488, Level: 47 Points: 5,488, Level: 47
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
I would say best bag for the buck is a good tune, and I high flow Cat or ORP (depending on how environmentally friendly you are) all the items you have posted with make small improvements, but you’re talking a few HP at a time. Unfortunately there car’s aren’t like V8 car where you open up the intake and the exhaust and you get 20+ hp.

Personally I have a predator in mine I like the fact I can data long and clear any CEL. I don’t have much experience with the SCT but it also a good tuner also.

If you’re looking for handling and don’t mind a bit of a harsher ride the focus has plenty of good suspensions available. If your looking for some thing high end the KW or Bilsteine coilover’s are nice. A slight improvement the ford racing Dynamic suspension is a good option (I think that still available). These are one I have personally had experience with and seem to work well.

Brake I would leave pretty much stock other then upgrading the pads to maybe a the HP+, or my personal favorite Carbotech AX6’s, both will dust a bit more and will sound like a buss some times but stop really well. You can add some stainless steel lines also.

Hope that helps a little.

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 33589
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, I call her Vera.

FF Reputation: 2 dubalicious Good Standing Member
Quote:
1. cold air kit
a. long or
b. short ram
c. witch brand
The stock intake isn't that bad most the intakes available for the SVT give maybe 5 horsepower, just get a good high flow panel filter and keep it clean.

Quote:
2. catback
a. size
b. brand
c. worth the money? ive read that on a stock focus there no gain to upgrade the exhaust at all because the stock exhaust is really efficient.
If you want a different sound then yes, if not leave it stock.

Quote:
3. throttle body
a. ported or aftermarket (i already ported the stock one out so will there be a difference in the aftermarket gain)
Ported is just fine.

Quote:
4. tuner
a. what brand
b. is it worth it
I have the Focus Power Predator tune and I like it.

Replacing the lower engine mount and a short throw shifter give surprisingly great results. I'd also recommend a LSD, and light weight fly wheel. Unless you go FI the SVTF will never be a straight line monster, your best bet is to go take it to a road course or autocross it and enjoy it in its natural setting.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
12 years strong

Fan#: 111
What I Drive: '02 zx5

Points 14,575, Level 78
Points: 14,575, Level: 78 Points: 14,575, Level: 78 Points: 14,575, Level: 78
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 1sloho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^^what he said. the svt focus is a bad ass car from the factory so, bolt-ons wont really add much hp unless goin fi. in the other hand, these cars are handling monsters. kick butt on auto x courses and spec racing. get a good suspension package and i think ud be pleased.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 45834
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus, CD Silver

FF Reputation: 4 ucntseemeee Good Standing Member
intake-AEM cai.. Exhaust-Trubendz.com 2.5" Borla or Magnaflow(i chose magnaflow).. Tuner-Predator w/Toms tune(i hear its the best).. Throttle Body-C-F-M.com 67mm(best for buck).

with those you'll notice a good increase in overall power!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
bang for buck mods?

Tom's Predator Tune
CFM rear tranny mount w/CFM or FR short-throw shifter
ORP or HFC

pulleys dont do much
aftermarket intakes' gains arent impressive enough for the retarded prices they charge.
aftermarket exhausts dont do anything but give you a better exhaust tone
throttle body is purely for throttle-response. only in combo with a port-matched upperintake does this mod really benefit.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.