Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Lower motor mount poly insert how to

33K views 48 replies 37 participants last post by  Shute47 
#1 ·
So I decided to be cheap and buy an insert instead of the 100 dollar one from cfm. And heres how you can be cheap just like me.

(Don't mind the o2 cheater next to it)

Tools needed-
13mm socket
Ratchet
Breaker bar
PB blaster-(Trust me you will need it)
Vice
Good hammer
Floor jack-(You will need it to move the motor)

1. Get that svt

2. Jack it up and put in on jack stands

3.You are gonna want to spray some PB Blaster on those bolts, mine were really tight and I slipped a little on the rear one so be careful.
Heres what your looking for

4. After it sits for a bit just pull those bolts out, I did the front one first.

Front

Rear

5. After I got the bolts out I pushed on the bottom of the motor toward the front of the car, and twisted the mount to the right to clear the bracket.

6. When you get that mount out clamp it down tight in a vice.

7. Now grab a hammer, you may want to use a ball-pin, don't make fun of my hammer I couldn't find my other one. So pretty much I just used some forceful blows right in the middle of the mount and it knocked right out. The front one was easy compared to the rear one.

8. After you get those out grab your new inserts and take the metal sleeve out of them. The front one is and oval shape so it was kind of hard to get in, I just used some PB Blaster and lubricated the insert. You just have to work it in, I put the broad side if the oval in first and worked it around.

9. I heard that some people have had problems with these slipping out so I grabbed some silicone glue and went all around the insert and then pushed it in all the way.

10.I did the same thing for the rear, but this one I used a screwdriver to help get it into the mount. In the picture you can see all I had to do was push the screwdriver to the left and it went in.

11. Don't forget to put those back sleeves in.

12. Now comes the hard part your going to want to put the mount back in and put the front bolt back in first and start it. Then your going to want to jack up on the motor, don't put too much pressure on it, and get the rear bolt started. You are probably going to have to tap the mount with a hammer and use the jack to adjust the motor to help get the holes lined up. Theres no exact way to tell, your just going to have to play with it. It took me a few tries to figure all this out, so trust me.

13. Now all you have to do is tighten those bolts up and you may want to torque them, but I didn't because I didn't know how much they needed.

You're finished!

Heres the two mounts compared

It took me about an hour to do including figuring out how to get it bolted back up which took about 15-20 minutes, so it should only take you about 45 minutes.

Review: It made the car so much smoother. When you let off the gas the car feels so much better than before. I say its a good 18 bucks to spend.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

See less See more
#3 ·
i just bought these. Mike (Hilbish) convinced me they are as good as spending over $100 on a mount, so i should get them soon and get them on. nice write-up
off-topic--
where'd you get the o2 cheater? i need one and i can't find one

#9 ·
I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to do this!

You did a superb job with the write up!

Its my turn now to put these babies in!

Again, THANK YOU!

Wildo

#10 ·
Great info. A while back I did some searching and there's not much on here about removing the stock bushings and putting in the inserts. A mechanic friend had told me that I would need a press to insert the urethane inserts and it would still be a pita. So I picked up a used mount to mess around with, just in case I couldn't get it.

I was pleasantly surprised at just how easy it was. The stock bushings popped out with 3 whacks each (sprayed a little TC-11 on them first). When I put in the urethane inserts I didn't even use any lube ( I heard that petroleum based lubricants will cause urethane to become brittle plus they had a light coating on them from the package). I just squeezed it in the vice with a piece of wood and kinda pressed them in. Piece of cake.

So now my mount is ready to go, I just need to get over to my dads garage so I can get under the car.

BTW, I like the pic with the mount in the vice and the hammer. That was a good inspiration.

#15 ·
Good write up. I have that same poly mount kit sitting on my microwave waiting to go in. Did you notice a good difference? I know people talk up the whole mount you can get but never heard much about replacing just the bushings in the stock one.

#18 ·
I bought my bushings from CFM on Ebay. I plan on putting them in next week.
I cant wait.

Thanks again for doing this write up. I certainly appreciate it.[loveff]

#19 ·
CFM is on Back order now.. :(! I had an extra mount Im going to throw them into and sell it!

I just checked Massive... THey are cheaper and in stock.. (I believe) 5 dollar shipping!

#24 ·
This is something I want to do too! That and the end-link bushings... they are so loud sometimes. (Searches for the cheap end-link how-to [:D])

+1 Rep

#25 ·
I just installed these, and at first I had a tough time getting the factory bushings out. I found that instead of beating on them directly with a hammer, if you hammer a flathead screwdriver through the outermost portion of the bushing in a couple of places, they then come out very easy. Of course, with this method there's no going back to the orininals, but it does make it much easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.