Let's Have it, then! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25758
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FocusNewGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Let's Have it, then!

I love my ZX3...so much in fact that I'm thinking of trading it in for an SVT focus (hooked since my first test drive) in the near future and have been using the search on here for more information.

It seems to me that all I find is threads highlighting all the problems with this vehicle. To be frank, reading this is getting me a bit discouraged from getting one. Can we have some people come forth with good, positive driving experiences in this car?

I by no means am crazy about modding my vehicle. I just want to take the vehicle for what it is, so in my case, I would be using the vehicle for to/from work, which is about 5 miles away on open highway, and occasionally hitting the backroads for some fun.

I love the car and would hate to be put off by such negativity surrounding TSBs and such. So let's have it -- if you got an SVT that you love and it's treated you well, post it here. I hope to one day (hopefully soon) be the proud owner of one of these baby monsters....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
all grown up

Fan#: 29834
What I Drive: 2006 Toyota tacoma work truck

Points 11,191, Level 69
Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 turbovation Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
First of all, is your '03 ZX3 a 2.3 duratec or a 2.0 zetec? About 6 months ago I traded my '04 ZX3 2.3 in for an '04 ZX3 SVT with the Euro Appearance Package. I really loved my 2.3, and with an intake, exhaust and SVT suspension setup, it was about as fast as a completely stock SVT. But since I've done a couple of small things to my SVT, it is faster now than my ZX3 was. As far as handling is concerned, there is truly NO comparison. Even with everything I did to my ZX3, including the SVT suspension, it was not anywhere NEAR as balanced as my SVT is in completely stock form. The SVT is far superior. Acceleration--they're about on par. The top end on the SVT makes it much quicker from a roll, but the low end torque on the 2.3 made it more "driveable" every day, and it actually felt a little faster in first gear. Reliability--My 2.3 NEVER gave me a single problem. The only problem I ever had with the car was my own fault. I took it to Mexico and somewhere along the way managed to mess up a clutch sensor that took 5 minutes to fix. Otherwise, my basic ZX3 was very reliable. My SVT has had a few little nagging problems....but it seems to be running well now (for now..maybe). All in all I do not have any single regret for selling my 2.3 for my SVT. it's been a really enjoyable car to drive and the options are awesome. Shoot me a PM for the specifics if you have any questions.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Thx for quick reply

My current car is an '03 ZX3 Zetec 2.0. I have had minimal problems with little car, and those that I've had, they've been covered under my extended warranty.

I'm looking at an SVT now with about 20k on the clock, 2 door, loaded, 2004, asking price of 13K. I'd like to trade in my zx3 for this baby, but dont know how much they'll give me for my car. I have 58k on the clock atx, cruise, etc, but no sunroof. My car has been babied since I bought it second hand at 26k. Car is stock and pretty much flawless, and I just put new tires, plugs, wires, brakes on it, too.

I just wish this process was easier, as I really like the vehicle and would want to keep it completely stock. Thanks for any help
Old 03-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
all grown up

Fan#: 29834
What I Drive: 2006 Toyota tacoma work truck

Points 11,191, Level 69
Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 turbovation Good Standing Member
You will really enjoy the SVT! Any problem I have had with the car has been covered under the warranty thus far. You won't get much if you trade your Focus in. They offered me 4800 for my white '04. It was lightly modded and it did have over 60,000 on the odo..but you may get more since your car is an automatic and sounds like its in great condition. I guess the only way to find out how much they'll give you for your car is to take it in and have it appraised. I got my CD silver SVT with 25,000 miles on the odo. for 14,500. Good luck finding it for under 14,000 with that kind of mileage.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks again!

Sounds like there are great examples out there yet! I hope that in the near future I can be a proud owner as well.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4068
What I Drive: SVT 2002

Points 4,146, Level 40
Points: 4,146, Level: 40 Points: 4,146, Level: 40 Points: 4,146, Level: 40
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 11 SVTF4243 Great Standing Member
I had a 2000 zx3 for several years sold it and bought 2002 SVT
i liked the zx3; LOVE the SVT

do it
SHOW :: Lights tint | Calipers Painted| Graphite colored wheels| Back up Cam | Window Tint

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.