Wow, check your ride often... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Michael J. Caboose

Fan#: 21469
What I Drive: Black Hemi Ram & Honda Shadow VT600

FF Reputation: 7 JohnMichael Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Wow, check your ride often...

So, I wake up this morning with the determination to detail my SVT's interior as well as the engine bay. I get my cleaning stuff, head on outside and get to work... I finish polishing the inside and begin to move into the engine bay, after popping the hood, several key elements jumped to my attention:

1- My intake is not connected to my TB. Wow, how my car was running correctly, I do not know. There was no loss of power, no stuttering or jarring, and no decrease of power whatsoever! So, after loosening the clamps, I jam the intake back into it's housing and cinch everything back up. Good as new.

2- Oil, oil everywhere. My freaking Valve Cover gasket that I replaced about a year ago has sprung several new leaks. Crap! After cleaning most of the Goo off, I found a rotted rubber grommet that could be the culprit... Thanks Ford.

3- Upon inspecting my plug area, I found the 2 left spark plugs chambers to be puddled with oil. Double Crap!! After cleaning out as much oil as possible, I concluded it was again the faulty Valve Cover Gasket.

My question: How bad is the oil in the Spark Plug valley? I figure if any oil made it past the threads, it would just burn off in the cylinder chamber, right? So, I guess it's off to Ford to order yet another freaking Valve Cover Gasket. Crap dangit!

Well, my baby's clean now though! Just gotta take care of that dang gasket and I'll be set...

O'er Pirates from the Black of Pitch
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 42985
What I Drive: 14' CLA250 , 05 S2000

FF Reputation: 12 CT SVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
yup my cam cover gasket went as well. oil in the valley. i got a new gasket just waiting for my msd coil, wires and ngk plugs. oil should never pass the threads unless you plugs are not tight. yup ford is know for cam cover going bad. i do alot of them on jaguars. owell
Old 03-21-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34536
What I Drive: SVTF

FF Reputation: 15 Anaxagoras1986 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
So, I wake up this morning with the determination to detail my SVT's interior as well as the engine bay. I get my cleaning stuff, head on outside and get to work... I finish polishing the inside and begin to move into the engine bay, after popping the hood, several key elements jumped to my attention:

1- My intake is not connected to my TB. Wow, how my car was running correctly, I do not know. There was no loss of power, no stuttering or jarring, and no decrease of power whatsoever! So, after loosening the clamps, I jam the intake back into it's housing and cinch everything back up. Good as new.

2- Oil, oil everywhere. My freaking Valve Cover gasket that I replaced about a year ago has sprung several new leaks. Crap! After cleaning most of the Goo off, I found a rotted rubber grommet that could be the culprit... Thanks Ford.

3- Upon inspecting my plug area, I found the 2 left spark plugs chambers to be puddled with oil. Double Crap!! After cleaning out as much oil as possible, I concluded it was again the faulty Valve Cover Gasket.

My question: How bad is the oil in the Spark Plug valley? I figure if any oil made it past the threads, it would just burn off in the cylinder chamber, right? So, I guess it's off to Ford to order yet another freaking Valve Cover Gasket. Crap dangit!

Well, my baby's clean now though! Just gotta take care of that dang gasket and I'll be set...

OMG tell me about the stupid gromets! I have been there done that. And the puddling in the plug galleries? BEEN THERE! LOL I think I mention something about this once a day atleast...
Old 03-21-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

Points 33,254, Level 100
Points: 33,254, Level: 100 Points: 33,254, Level: 100 Points: 33,254, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
ouch thats quite a lil problem that occured, glad your gonna get it all fixed

also are just svts bad at this or the zetecs as well?
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Focus Addict

I've seen the regular zetec VCs and they look a lot better as far as the gromets are concerned. The SVT has big gromets with TINY washers that squash the gromets out. Major pain in the ass...
Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #6

Fan#: 1358
What I Drive: a car

FF Reputation: 70 HaveBlue83 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
um.....when was the last time you opened your hood?????
Old 03-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Michael J. Caboose

^^^lol, I'm not one to dismiss my ride at all, it's just in the past few months things have been freaking nuts! I'd say it's been at least a month and a half without popping the hood...not too bad.

Thanks for the comments guys, it always calms my mood seeing other guys with the same problems...

Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
Michael J. Caboose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxagoras1986 View Post
I've seen the regular zetec VCs and they look a lot better as far as the gromets are concerned. The SVT has big gromets with TINY washers that squash the gromets out. Major pain in the ass...
Ditto to that, frickin little washers...

Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Yeah man. I go under there atleast once a week to inspect the perpetually leaking gromets. I just ordered a new set from Mike because my most recent ones have squashed out again. Aside from the stumbling, it's a pain because it makes your engine bay really crappy. This drove me SO nuts that I actually painted the VC black to try to hide some of the haziness from the oil leaking. LOL like I said, it drives me nuts!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:42 PM   #10
Michael J. Caboose

Painted black you say? You use a high-temp enamel or something? I shall probably be hitting Mike up with a Gasket order pretty soon...so Mike, if you're reading this, go ahead and get one ready for shipment!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.