Svt Known Issues - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25758
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FocusNewGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Svt Known Issues

By saturday I could be driving away in an '03 SVT , but ahead of this I would like to know of any known issues these cars might have had or have now. I am trading in my current ZX3 which I love. I am hoping the SVT can be just as trouble free. Visually, the cars seems sound. Mechanically, when I turned it on to test drive and as it sat there idling, I noticed a slight clattering noise from the engine compartment, but then disappeared. Car runs strong w/ only 27k on the clock, but wanted to know in advance of any problems specific to this vehicle. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
Titular Wit Here

Fan#: 27396
What I Drive: 2004 GTO, 1986 Civic Si, 2010 TC

Points 7,028, Level 55
Points: 7,028, Level: 55 Points: 7,028, Level: 55 Points: 7,028, Level: 55
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 azdamay Good Standing Member
Clattering noise depends on exactly where it is coming from. If it sounds like a rotational noise, comes from the left front wheel area, and goes away when you push in the clutch, that would most likely be the noise many of us have experienced from the transaxle. There is a TSB for this, it addresses complaints that there is abnormal noise, clutch slippage, and early clutch failures. I had mine done under warranty, and the noise came back, but so far functionally it seems fine.

If it comes from the left front wheel area, and doesn't go away as long as the engine is on, that would be the IMRC. This would be one of those "known issues" you asked about - the cable end clip connecting the control motor to the intake manifold housing breaks. Mine's been replaced once already. This is very loud and noticeable noise, if/when it happens you will know.

Could also just be the injectors or lifters, both seem to be noisier than usual on this car. Other issues would the stock ECU tune is not very popular - many people report cold idle issues, bogging in first gear, and a surging at light throttle while cruising. Stock brake rotors don't last very long with aggressive driving, the thermostat has a "plug" installed into an unused opening which is sealed with an o-ring that is known to get hard and start leaking (mine does this too). The exhaust header (and also the O2 sensor) is prone to getting bent/scraped on curbs because it sets rather low. That's all I can think of from the top of my head, I'm sure you'll get more than you ever wanted to know as people start posting!
Old 03-21-2007, 02:36 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 40538
What I Drive: 2016 Ingot Silver 5 Door

Points 3,453, Level 36
Points: 3,453, Level: 36 Points: 3,453, Level: 36 Points: 3,453, Level: 36
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 7 RhodySVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Catalytic converter heat shield rattles...DSI pivot can break...these and what was posted above seem to be the most common issues, also the VCT system seems to be a bit quirky/sensetive. This being said, it's really a great little car. I have friends who drives Benzes and Acuras and Civics and they all envy my little beast.
2004 CD Silver SVT ZX5 Euro PowerWorks#1062 of 1079 SOLD to ADAMSVT
2016 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch DCT...stock for now
Old 03-21-2007, 05:01 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19295
What I Drive: 2003 orang euro svt 3 door

Points 45, Level 1
Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 orangecrate Good Standing Member
both mine and my wife's svt's have the same symptoms. throwout bearing rattle, dash light's flicker, but other than that they are great car's and i wouldnt think of getting rid of them.
2003 competition orange svt #1686, center exit borla exhaust, orp,powerworks supercharger, steeda shifter,eibach sportlines,17 adr formula5 wheels
Old 03-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25758
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FocusNewGuy Good Standing Member
Issues

Thanks for all the quick feedback, guys. Are these issues mentioned above things that I can have the stealer take care of before I purchase the vehicle? Are they things that are still covered under warranty?(Car's got 27k) Thanks again!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
Dragon Warrior

Fan#: 15362
What I Drive: 03 SVT ZX5

Points 35,151, Level 100
Points: 35,151, Level: 100 Points: 35,151, Level: 100 Points: 35,151, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 97 JRODSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
i have had very few issues with my 03 and i don't think with you getting an 03 as well that you have to worry about the DSI clip. that seemed to be an 02 issue.

FocusFests best of sound 2008
(Oo> (SVT) <oO)
o xxxxxxxxxxxx o
Old 03-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4068
What I Drive: SVT 2002

Points 4,146, Level 40
Points: 4,146, Level: 40 Points: 4,146, Level: 40 Points: 4,146, Level: 40
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 11 SVTF4243 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Heres a link listing repairs done
SHOW :: Lights tint | Calipers Painted| Graphite colored wheels| Back up Cam | Window Tint
Old 03-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
Titular Wit Here

Fan#: 27396
What I Drive: 2004 GTO, 1986 Civic Si, 2010 TC

Points 7,028, Level 55
Points: 7,028, Level: 55 Points: 7,028, Level: 55 Points: 7,028, Level: 55
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 8 azdamay Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusNewGuy View Post
Thanks for all the quick feedback, guys. Are these issues mentioned above things that I can have the stealer take care of before I purchase the vehicle? Are they things that are still covered under warranty?(Car's got 27k) Thanks again!
I presume you'd to have to have those issues present for them to even consider doing anything. I would put a serious ear to the "clattering" noise and try to pin down what that is before you buy it, if it's the clutch/flywheel issue you definitely want that done, and under warranty. I don't have a link for it, but the full text of the TSB regarding that issue is posted somewhere on this site in case they give you trouble.

I forgot about the dash lights flickering, mine does that too, although in my case it is barely noticeable so I just let it go.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:18 AM   #9
CloudNine88's Man

Fan#: 39225
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 SVT Blk;'08 Mazdaspeed3 Blu

FF Reputation: 32 Focistang85 Great Standing Member
Nice man, welcome to the SVT family.

Be aware of all the rattles and little clatters the SVT makes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Let's hear it for the Mazdaspeed3!!!! AND '08 GSXR 600 NOW TOO!!!!

If I'm helpful, give me a REP Point. Click the little silver scale at the bottom of my username panel.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:43 AM   #10
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
I haven't found any weird noises on my new '03 yet, but I did notice the flickering odometer and parking brake light.

I'm still damn happy I got it on Friday!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.