Getting frustrated.... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 02:52 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Getting frustrated....

..with my car. After going through the large hassle of having to replace my transmission. I have found myself being rather irritated with the car as it just isn't the same anymore. The gears aren't smooth and have been having a problem with 2nd and 6th, I believe it's the synchro's...yea great. And to add on that, there is a chatter (not the normal Fidanza at idle chatter) when I release the clutch and it starts to make contact, I can hear a...sorta metal on metal sound briefly. Guessing it's the clutch disk making contact with the flywheel, but also a chatter. Almost like something is rattling around it's really making me nervous. I've got a real real bad feeling about this due to my horrid luck with cars I've had in the past. Seems like no matter, it's always been the worse case scenerio so I'm kinda gettin real nervous about this. I only hear it in 1st and 2nd.....And like I said, the car just isn't the same. Also to top it all off, after sliding into a curb during a heavy snow, I have to replace my left front control arm cause it bent and need a new alignment, all in all going to be around another $250 I don't have. I really just find myself unhappy with my car anymore and it really sucks....but I don't know what I could do. I owe more than KBB has it listed for. I'd have to take it back to as near stock as I could to trade it in or leave it as is and try and sell it. I want to keep it so bad but worrying about this trans going out on me has me freaked. There is no possible way I could afford another one nor do I hardly even want to. I'm just losing faith in my poor little car.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 02:56 AM   #2
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

Points 33,254, Level 100
Points: 33,254, Level: 100 Points: 33,254, Level: 100 Points: 33,254, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
that sucks to hear bmxer, all i can say is bring it to whoever did the new tranny and make sure all the bolts where tightened and everything was put together properly
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 02-11-2007, 03:13 AM   #3
Get The Hammer!

Fan#: 32770
What I Drive: 2000 Mali zx3

FF Reputation: 29 heelflip101 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Good luck, hope its something cheep.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36872
What I Drive: 2002 Black w/blue SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Jason2o Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT_BMXer View Post
..with my car. After going through the large hassle of having to replace my transmission. I have found myself being rather irritated with the car as it just isn't the same anymore. The gears aren't smooth and have been having a problem with 2nd and 6th, I believe it's the synchro's...yea great. And to add on that, there is a chatter (not the normal Fidanza at idle chatter) when I release the clutch and it starts to make contact, I can hear a...sorta metal on metal sound briefly. Guessing it's the clutch disk making contact with the flywheel, but also a chatter. Almost like something is rattling around it's really making me nervous. I've got a real real bad feeling about this due to my horrid luck with cars I've had in the past. Seems like no matter, it's always been the worse case scenerio so I'm kinda gettin real nervous about this. I only hear it in 1st and 2nd.....And like I said, the car just isn't the same. Also to top it all off, after sliding into a curb during a heavy snow, I have to replace my left front control arm cause it bent and need a new alignment, all in all going to be around another $250 I don't have. I really just find myself unhappy with my car anymore and it really sucks....but I don't know what I could do. I owe more than KBB has it listed for. I'd have to take it back to as near stock as I could to trade it in or leave it as is and try and sell it. I want to keep it so bad but worrying about this trans going out on me has me freaked. There is no possible way I could afford another one nor do I hardly even want to. I'm just losing faith in my poor little car.
I just wouldnt shift into those gears unless you have to, and check your oil in the tranny.
"In my car"
In the tranny that had synchro issues the oil was like sludge when it came out. In the tranny that shot the pressure plate through the bellhousing the oil looked like new and had 52k miles.

Jason
Old 02-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
Supercharged

Fan#: 10982
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 SVT, 2004 Ford Ranger 4x4

Points 13,364, Level 75
Points: 13,364, Level: 75 Points: 13,364, Level: 75 Points: 13,364, Level: 75
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Hillyard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (27)
I know what you mean BMXer but unfortunately not everything will stay new forever.

On the clutch not sliding into gears easily - I didn't bleed the clutch the correct amount and assume the clutch wasn't engaging 100%. Do yourself a favor and make sure to power bleed or reverse bleed the clutch. Gravity bleeding won't cut it with our car's getrag.

The clutch is making a metallic squealing/chirping noise when engaging. It sounds like the clutch is leaking fluid onto it and causing it to slip.

Transmission problems are the worst and you are just going to have to complain to the shop that installed it. I would go back and have them drive it and show them what it is doing - HAVE SOMEONE RIDE WITH YOU AND POINT IT OUT! This way the person can't say "everything seems fine to me."

They did that to me with my Grand Prix and then I had someone ride with me and the tech said "woah your transmission is toast."
#3788 InfraRed SVT
Hill <><
Old 02-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
CloudNine88's Man

Fan#: 39225
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 SVT Blk;'08 Mazdaspeed3 Blu

FF Reputation: 32 Focistang85 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Who did your clutch and how long ago?

If I'm helpful, give me a REP Point. Click the little silver scale at the bottom of my username panel.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

MY buddy's shop did my trans swap and install. The mechanic that did all the work seems to be a real good guy. He has a 10 second older Chevy of some kind. All this work was done at the beginning of January so right about a month ago. I'll ask if they can power bleed it and check and see if any fluid is leaking from anywhere. I've also heard it could just be the throw out bearing chattering which isn't a real serious issue, just an annoyance. We'll see I guess.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 02-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
CloudNine88's Man

Good luck. Keep us posted.

If I'm helpful, give me a REP Point. Click the little silver scale at the bottom of my username panel.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focistang85 View Post
Good luck. Keep us posted.
I will. One of a few things may happen. 1) the trans is fine, its the TOB, nothing to worry about. Shift cables adjusted, no more trouble with gears. 2) I find something is detrimentally wrong with it and have to figure out how the hell I'm going to find the money to replace AGAIN. 3)get the control arm fixed, take alot of my stuff out, take it close to stock, (pull blower if I trade it in) and get a new car. I'm just worried it's on a downhill slide from here.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:12 AM   #10
CloudNine88's Man

Well, if worse is discovered, let me know if you sell that blower. I may be interested.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.