Focus Fanatics Forum banner

4 speed

1K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Anaxagoras1986 
#1 ·
when shifting to 4 it make this noise like "cruuuuk" and the shifter shakes a little bit, i dont have any problem with the other 6 speeds, anyone????[???:)] [???:)]

#9 ·
Mine does this too when it is extremely cold out. Have you checked underneath your car to see if it is leaking out of the CV seals on the tranny? My seals have started to leak so I picked some up from Mike T. If the tranny starts leaking it's oil the syncros will run dry and start to perform poorly causing premature failure AND disturbing noises like your crunching! lol

#10 ·
Definitely a synchro. Mine did the same thing and the dealer had to replace the whole tranny. It's really dumb that they can't fix something as small as that. We do have a 5yr 100K powertrain warranty so get it in quick.

#13 ·
[?] Is that like a single slam "cruuuk" or muliple Vibration/whirring "cruuuuks" ? Are you applying gentle or aggressive pressure? Always or only so often...?

#14 ·
Because, just to drop the trans is something like 600, then the time tearing the trans apart, putting in the new parts, and putting it all back together, reinstalling it, and buttoning up all of the little odds and ends, where as they could get that one out, have a new one, do the repairs, and then sell the old one as rebuilt with new parts for about 2k.

#16 ·
well before you check the syncros how many miles are on the car?!? possibly it could be metal in the trans?!? Just drain it and fill it with some royal purple. but more than likely that would cause more than one gear problem

#19 ·
I love it as long as it doesn't become one of the VERY many that crap out. Manual trannies usually last like 300k. We have had a lot go way before that (although thats mostly because of the clutch). The bottom line, however, is that it doesn't age well and has a lot of weaknesses/design flaws. If that's not enough, the gearing is also very far from ideal.

Mine is starting to feel old and it does do a very small amount of "crunching" when it is very cold out. I know mine is going to die soon (along with the clutch)... that's why I bought a spare one from Dan Adams!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.