is short ram causing problems? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2004, 11:25 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1693
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SLIP STREAM SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Question is short ram causing problems?

i have just installed my short ram once again b/c winter is over and no more snow, so now my problem is this, once i haev installed my AEM short ram it has stalled like 5 times in the last week, what the ****** is wrong? it never did this in the past! can someone help me please

#2760 of 4788
Born: 6/13/2002 in Hermosillo Assembly Plant

Current Implants: Grounding Wires, AEM Cold Air Intake, Ford Racing Strut Bar, Smoked Nite Shade Side Markers, Home Made Shorty Antenna, Steeda Tri-Ax Short Shifter, VF Engine Mounts, SCT Xcalibrator 2 (tune by Wayne @ Hypnotic Illusions ), Nx 50 Shot Wet Kit
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2004, 11:52 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 324
What I Drive: VW GLI 1.8Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 CowsGoMoo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Makesure al rubber cupplings are very tight, the slight bit of air leak would cause that. Especially the rubber clamp that goes on your throttle body. I had the same problem with my volant, reinstalled it and runs perfect.

My ZX5 Focus!
Old 04-06-2004, 12:02 AM   #3
Focus Addict

thanks for the quick reply, i'll check that out in the morning! thanks SOOOOO much cause it was getting scary because everytime it stalled i loss power steering while i was coming off the off ramp on the highway!
#2760 of 4788

Current Implants: Grounding Wires, AEM Cold Air Intake, Ford Racing Strut Bar, Smoked Nite Shade Side Markers, Home Made Shorty Antenna, Steeda Tri-Ax Short Shifter, VF Engine Mounts, SCT Xcalibrator 2 (tune by Wayne @ Hypnotic Illusions ), Nx 50 Shot Wet Kit
Old 04-06-2004, 01:48 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2449
What I Drive: 2001 Liquid Grey ZX3 S2 Edition

FF Reputation: 1 01FocusZX3 Good Standing Member
also check it by the airflow sensor. that seems to be pretty touchy too.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:55 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Like already stated make sure your clamps are on tighten down.

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"
Old 04-06-2004, 08:42 PM   #6
Focus Addict

thanks so much for the replies, i haven't gotten around to checking yet cause it's been raining so hard today, it happened once again! but only once today when i was coasting to a stop! anyways hope it won't rain tomorrow so i can check and get this problem fixed, another question, will a short ram void the warranty in anyway? do you think they will charge me for anything for checking if there is anything wrong with it? or should i just change it back to stock before i bring it in if i can't fix the problem? thanks
#2760 of 4788

Old 04-07-2004, 02:37 PM   #7
Focus Addict

i finally got around to tightening the clamps as much as possible, so tight that it woun't turn any more, but yea, i drove around for about 1 hour and no problems, but i drove like a grandma today, didn't really rev past 3.5k rpm's, so that got me thinking, is it heat soak? if it is, what's the cure for that problem? thanks
#2760 of 4788

Old 04-07-2004, 02:45 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4319
What I Drive: 2003 Infared SVT Focus 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 shadrach Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by SLIP STREAM SVT
thanks for the quick reply, i'll check that out in the morning! thanks SOOOOO much cause it was getting scary because everytime it stalled i loss power steering while i was coming off the off ramp on the highway!

Ahhh!....that statement helps a lot. That defintely sounds like an airflow related issue.

When you're crusing on the highway at a higher, fixed speed/rpm, (say 3000rpm) and you reach the off ramp, a driver typically pushes in the clutch and shifts to neutral. When the clutch is released the load is taken off the motor and the revs drop pretty quickly, sometimes fast enough to stall the motor.

A stock car is designed to handle this situation, but modified car that are using the factory ECU sometimes have problems here. My Eclipse has a ton of airflow mods, but while crusing on the highway the ECU gets used to a certain airflow. When I do the same thing, my car will typically stall, so I always blip the throttle while shifting into neutral to keep it alive.

I would defintely check for some type of air leak, but it could just be a result of your specific setup.
03 SVT Focus #1612
95 Eclipse GSX - sold
98 Honda CBR F3
Old 04-07-2004, 02:50 PM   #9
Project All Motor

Fan#: 1114
What I Drive: 2000 Sedan SE with Zetec engine

FF Reputation: 1 ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
YES!, make sure your clamps are secured. If they aren't and air gets in. Your fuel will become rich and your catalytic converter will clog.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:38 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
When my dealer re-installed my CAI, they happen to leave a clamp loose around the TB. In return my car stalled a few times till the clamp was tighten down. My car would bog before it would stalled, after the clamp was tighten down, no more problems occured. That was when I ran the AEM CAI, now I run the Steeda and just to be safe I check my clamps everytime I wash my car just to make sure all is secured.

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.