Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Homemade Ram-Air Install

9K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  Sniper Focus 
#1 · (Edited)
Homemade Ram-Air Install Pics added

So...just got done fabricating and installing my homemade ram-air kit. I made a new radiator flow plate (black plastic plate under radiator brace) out of 22 gauge sheetmetal. It was an exact fit and installed in all of the stock spots. I then bought a rectangular funnel made out of thin galvanized steel (almost feels like tin), a 4" to 3" adapter, 3" flex hose for intake piping, and of course worn clamps. Got everything bolted up (funnel bolts directly to flow plate and flex hose bends in stock spots, just a few inches longer), and took it out for a test drive. I had a 180 lb. passenger this time as compared to the runs without the ram-air. Here are my results-All runs are dead stop blasts to 90mph and back to 0mph.

No Ram-Air=(First Run)Intake Box Temp-102
Engine Temp (taken at valve cover)-184
Header Temp-345
(Second Run)Intake Box Temp-98
Engine Temp-187
Header Temp-372
(Third Run)Intake Box Temp-105
Engine Temp-186
Header Temp-378
With Ram-Air Installed=(First Run)Intake Box Temp-74
Engine Temp-168
Header Temp-314
(Secong Run)Intake Box Temp-76
Engine Temp-168
Header Temp-333
(Third Run)Intake Box Temp-76
Engine Temp-178
Header Temp-353
So as you all can see, the ram-air definetly dropped the temperature, sometimes drastically, all around, and it also stabilized alot more. It feels like there is more mid-range power, take that for what it is. But all in all a pretty good mod. Good alternative to a cold air kit, in my opinion, and cheaper. Let me know what you all think. I can e-mail pics if wanted.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I did a VERY similar test with a short ram, and real cai, and my ram air with the svt airbox and a K&N. My results were very similar, here is a couple pics:

It uses a 3" tube that goes up to the rear part of the svt snorkle which just happens to about 3" and used 3" aluminum ducting (rigid type)

#5 ·
According to most reliable sources, a 10 degree reduction in air intake temperature results in a 1% increase in hp. So, the average of all your runs means an average intake temperature decrease of 26.33 which should equate to a 2.63% increase in power. So, on a typical, unmodified SVT, with a rated hp of 170, that should mean a 4.47 hp increase. Interesting.

#6 ·
Id love to see pics of your custom setup. Ive been wanting to get rid of my hot air sucking SRI. Been thinking something along these lines [hihi]

LOL but seriously I would like a good CAI.

#11 ·
SVT_BMXer said:
Id love to see pics of your custom setup. Ive been wanting to get rid of my hot air sucking SRI. Been thinking something along these lines [hihi]

LOL but seriously I would like a good CAI.
DAMN i knew someone would find out my secrete

well back to the drawing board[wrenchin] [wrenchin] [read]

#15 ·
Sorry the pics took so long fellas, working man and all. One note something I also noticed was the intake manifold itself was way cooler than before. I didnt get any baseline readings on the intake manifold temp but after the ram air intake manifold temp was around 101 degrees. Today I looked at it even more and found out the heat that didnt build up to the manifold also did not transfer to the fuel line like it usually does. Also this is a no brainer but the cooler outside it is the cooler everything connected to the ram air is. Today air temp here was around 60 degrees and the stock intake box felt like ice.(no temperature readings sorry was on my way home from work.) Also temp readings were taken with laser thermometer and definately more mid range power than before car seems more seamless and less peaky than before. Thanks for checking it out fellas.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Sorry about the pics I know some of them aren't very good but it was late and we were tired.
I'll take some more after I take it off and paint everything.
Thanks again fellas

#19 ·
Becareful offering to produce and sell those on here. The Mods will close your thread and request that you become an affilliate of the FF site. Meaning that you'll have to give them money. If I were you, I would quickly retract that offer to sell them. Quickly....

#21 ·
Something else I noticed, I thought was great. My wife and I went out to eat the other night and I checked the intake box when we pulled into the resturaunt, it was very cool. Then checked it after we ate and before I started the car. The box was actually heat soaked from where the car had just been sitting off for about an hour. Drove it back home and it was cool again. Proof the system does its job well. Thanks again for checking it out fellas

#24 ·
Quick question. Does the flex tube get really hot????

I ask because I made a very similar setup (but to feed a SRI) and at first I used an aluminum flex tube like the one pictured above. I immediately noticed that the tube would get hot enough to burn my hand so I changed to a flexible plastic tube (which hasn't melted yet).

#26 ·
You know I thought the same thing about the flex tube. It does warm up but as long as the box and manifold temps stay low, I dont worry much about the tube. It gets warm (probably because of its close proximity to the radiator hose) but no where near enough to burn your hand, scoop is pretty good size. I thought about rain water also and if it does wind up being a problem I have a plan for that. I'm gonna take the scoop cut a 5 in. long line in the bottom of it and slightly pop it up like a louver(or if I have to a couple of louvers). Then I'm going to retest everything to make sure temps are not affected and I'm not losing the usefulness of the scoop. I need to reset the ECU because I have noticed a slight decrease in gas mileage. This could be because of general driving habits. Also I would love to see how it would work with a tune adapted to it because I think they would benefit each other well. Just have to wait before I can dump money on that, funds are going into my other car right now. Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.