Which center console is better?

• With arm rest

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • With OUT arm rest

Votes: 39 58.2%

Center console wo/ arm rest

11K views 48 replies 32 participants last post by  iDude87 
#1 ·
Ok, so I recently got into a fender bender in my 03 focus...stupid california drivers...well while she's getting some reconstructive surgery done to her front end I was lucky enough to get an 06 focus as my rental car...yay for Enterprise...well anyways it doesn't have an arm rest and I like it a lot better...makes it MUCH easier to shift and get to the E brake without it being in the way AND has two cup holders instead of one (also has them in the doors which I think is cool but a completely other story) How does everyone else feel about the missing arm rest and does anybody know where I can find one that works with the GREY interior? (easy swap?)

THANKS! [thumb]

#2 ·
actually i had an armrest and sold it for like $80, i then bought a black one (i have a gray interior too) for about $20 i think, it was win win for me, the black matches my radio surround and looks good in the car, i like the armrestlessness too, though the armrest was kind of comfy, ill do w/o [thumb]

#3 ·
i believe that none of our SVT's have armrests. it is common for one to be there with an ATX. but i have also seen some with MTX's. it may be a trim option. but the cup holders down there blow, never put drinks in them. i put my phone charger back there and that is about it. well, can of skoal when i was still chewing.

#4 ·
I guess the SVT doesn't have the center armrest because of the adjustment knobs on the seats which are toward the center of the car.

Other cars I've owned had a center armrest and I missed having a one so I had one custom made by a metal box company. It works out great. And for me it doesn't interfere with shifting. I also designed it such that it bolts onto the 3 hidden bolts beneath the cup holder snap-out on the back end of the console...So I can take it out and noone will ever know it was there. If I ever go to the short throw shifter I may have to have the support braket remade but I'm happy with things the way they are for now.

Pictures are in my gallery.

Being a custom job it was expensive but for me it was money well spent....now I have some addtional storage space too. I looked into getting the console/armrest from Ford and it was an even more expensive proposition then my custom job.

#5 ·
The swap from a non armrest to a armrest is easy IMO. just remove the cup holders
take the screws out there is one other screw on the rear cupholder and two under
the trim piece on the back of the armrest and then remove and reverse to install the new one.
Of course you will have to remove the support bracket for the armrest. sorry for the long post.
I have the detail bug in me today!! LOL

#7 ·
Seems that smaller people (not as tall) prefer the NON ARM REST compared to taller people that prefer it.

I personally couldn't have lived without the armrest myself (6'5" tall or so)......

I found it very uncomfortable driving long distances (or any distances) without one.

#12 ·
it's fine for shifting, in fact, it makes it easy. alls i have to do is flick my wrist to shift, cuz i have long arms too.

it gets in the way when i'm traying to cuddle with my grilfriend at a drive in movie though, lol.

#14 ·
I have a manual '04 with an armrest. When down, the armrest gets in my way, and when up...the armrest gets in my way. If there was a way to tilt the armrest to less than 90 degrees I would be set for life!!! It would be comfortable that way. ALas, that would require some fabrication which--I might try to accomplish.

#15 ·
I had one in my ZX3 and couldn't stand it.

So now I have one with no armrest and I'm happier[:D]

So if anyone wants a dark charcoal center console with a armrest, PM me. I'll hook ya up[;)]

#16 ·
turbovation said:
I have a manual '04 with an armrest. When down, the armrest gets in my way, and when up...the armrest gets in my way. If there was a way to tilt the armrest to less than 90 degrees I would be set for life!!! It would be comfortable that way. ALas, that would require some fabrication which--I might try to accomplish.

Let me know how that goes....but until then...anybody know where I can get a grey console WITHOUT an armrest?

G
#21 ·
I removed mine soon after I bought the car. Got in way of shifting and I couldn't work the handbrake properly. FYI, the European Focus has it built into the side of the drivers seat and it tilts up. Leaving acentre console minus the armrest.

#22 ·
cdnfocus said:
I removed mine soon after I bought the car. Got in way of shifting and I couldn't work the handbrake properly. FYI, the European Focus has it built into the side of the drivers seat and it tilts up. Leaving acentre console minus the armrest.
Yeah, I've seen the Euro's like that. They are set up the way Ford did the Contour (my previous car was a '98 Contour) with a smaller padded armrest on the seat.

On the other hand, with my Focus, I really like my armrest. Sure, it got in the way of reaching the e-brake when I first got the car, but I got used to it and don't notice that anymore. I just drive around with an elbow on the edge and for me it makes shifting a breeze like that.

All personal preference though, heh. My girlfriend can't stand the armrest on her or my car [;)]

#24 ·
slipster17 said:
All personal preference though, heh. My girlfriend can't stand the armrest on her or my car [;)]
And My wife likes the armrest in her 4door ATX focus, and wishes that my ZX3 MTX had one, as do I. And I'm not even tall like these other guys, I'm only 5'4". Maybe that if you're tall enough, or short enough the armrest is useful, and if you're average height, the armest is too much.

I'm just trolling around the local salvage yards looking for a grey console with an armrest.

#25 ·
CaysE said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Euro SVTs have a center console with an armrest.
The 'Euro' SVT is the ST170 correct? Or do you mean the EAP SVT's sold here?

If you mean the ST170 then yes, it has an armrest.

#26 ·
violatedsohc said:
And My wife likes the armrest in her 4door ATX focus, and wishes that my ZX3 MTX had one, as do I. And I'm not even tall like these other guys, I'm only 5'4". Maybe that if you're tall enough, or short enough the armrest is useful, and if you're average height, the armest is too much.

I'm just trolling around the local salvage yards looking for a grey console with an armrest.
I'm 5'9" which is average, and i love the armrest. It's the perfect height for me to rest my elbow on while I shift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.