Focus Fanatics Forum banner

The Offical Airbag(Aftermarket Seats) Light Thread

10K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Mashurst 
#1 · (Edited)
After countless hours searching and reading the same thread over and over I finally have the answer, or so I hope. I had went to dealers, browsed the net, etc, until finally a younger employee at a ford dealer slipped a company name that might have what I want. To much suprise, I think I hit the golden jackpot. The company is OTC Tools, and they make "SIMULATOR, SIDE AIR BAG, 418-139." I just ordered mine for 40 bucks for both sides. This is the tool company that makes the parts directly for ford so ive been told. The above part number is the parts for the focus side air bag simulators. If anyone has any questions please feel free to post here.

All this comes down to: Don't be stupid, don't put tape over the light, don't paint the light, or w/e because that disables your airbag system. This functional product will keep the front and passenger side airbags working in proper condition. And for the 40 + 16shipping I paid I feel that the price matches the product and I think ive finally found the answer.

Figured id share the part number with everyone, I bought it on ebay from http://stores.ebay.com/Ford-Parts-and-Tools
He can get more I would assume as he is a store.

Hopefully this helps some of you that were in the same sinking boat as I was.

Picture of them from the store i bought them from:

See less See more
#3 ·
I am just posting to verify they work. I recieved and tested them today. Easy install, just unhook battery unplug from seat, plug this in, rehook up battery and tada its finished.

#6 ·
I would assume that the '02 model had the option for side air bags, it wasn't standard on the focus AFAIK. I have a 2000 and have side airbags. If the driver side seat is a replacement and the original passenger side is still there then look on the side of that seat you should see a patch that says 'Side Airbag' or something to that affect. If it does, then yes, the simulator should work.

#9 ·
Little confused, where is the module located? My seat is out of a car with side air bags (at least I think so) and the car is a 2000 with out side air bags. I don't have the old seat. What should I look for if I go to the junk yard? And will this get rid of my airbag light?

#10 ·
Can anyone answer my previous post?

I contacted that ebayer seller on the top of this thread and he mentioned that 418-139 is discontinued. Digging into it a little more I found OTC has another ford simulator otc 7956.

Special 2 ohm air bag simulator for use on Ford '93 & newer System II air bags

Anyone have any idea if this would work?

#12 ·
Where exactly does the "simulator" go?
Do you unbolt the large rectangular plug from under the seat, install simulator, bolt back up??
From the picture, that looks like male and female connectors to fit in between the two halves of the connector.

I found another supplier for the part here:
http://www.airbagsystems.com/order.htm
$29 for what's probably a resistor.

#13 ·
Well, I actually have the OTC 418-139 in my hands right now.
(Helps to have good friends at the Dealer. [:D])
At any rate...I still have no idea where to plug this in?? [dunno]

#15 ·
Back from the dead!

I have spent all day making 2.5 ohm jumpers across the harness. My factory manuals show a different harness and different wire colors than what my car has - UGH. I finally plugged the passenger seat in, moved to the driver side and put jumpers across the airbag module pins and the pre-tensioner pins, and still got 5-1 and 5-4 light flashes. I give up.

WD40, did you ever try the simulator? The harness on the OTC simulator doesn't look like they match the harnesses under my seat - I don't want to shell out $110 for them unless they work, activating the front airbags for my commute to the track with factory (legal!) seatbelts................

#18 ·
i have an 04 focus that does not have side air bags however still has a sensor under the seat. I went to ford today and used the dam simulator "418-139" and my light still came on. I give up. I want a secure airbag system but nice seats at the same time....weak.... anyone get this to work correctly. the light flashed 4 times then stopped, 4 times then stopped. it did this 4 flashes 4 times then went solid.

#19 ·
Here is what WD40 told me:

"The simulator will not plug into the SVT seats.
As you found out, it's a different plug, due to the extra wiring for power seats, seat heaters, and side airbags.

What I did find out is that you have to use a capacitor in series with a resistor to get the light to go out.
I took pics, but I'll be darned if I can find the time to post them up.
With any luck, I can get you the "values" within a day or two.

You also HAVE to use a good seat belt tensioner.
I swapped with one of my stock seats.
If the tensioner came off a car that blew an airbag, it won't work and will set the code again.

I cut the yellow wire coming from the airbag (airbag missing...but the wire will still be there) and spliced in the resistor and capacitor.
Haven't seen a light since.
And...I've still got to get an airbag ordered.
^^^That's the right way to fix it.
I rather like having the added saftey factor."

I gave up after he told me this. I'll just wear my six-point harness and forget the factory belts.

#21 ·
I'm adding an update. I installed a set if corbeau CR1's in my SVT. I wanted to play it safe with the airbag light so I ordered a non side airbag module. The issue I ended up having was the plug going to the seat airbags at the module was slightly different. So what I did was took my new module and modified the bottom tabs on the outside of the plug with a Dremel. Grind them flat and make sure you don't overheat the plastic. Once you do that it should just all plug together. On the drivers seat on a 02-04 car all you need is the seat position sensor (on the right side seat rail) and the seat belt latch. The position sensor should be zip tied so nothing is between the jaws. Passenger side all you need is the tensioner. Button it together you're all set. Now you will have no airbag light.

#23 ·
Well, it seems I've just answered my own question.

Plugged the new module in after the mods that 777 mentioned, and it worked, no light, and some codes about bad earth (tried it without the module bolted in to start with).

Bolted it in, cleared the codes, and hey presto! No lights, flashing or otherwise [:)][:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.