Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Engine block heater. Custom mount plug ideas?

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  swansong 
#1 ·
Happy thanksgiving everyone.

Well I finally decided to start using my engine block heater after 8 years of ownership. Car doesn't run like shit on cold startups as its been in the 30s here a few days.

So I'm looking for ideas on custom mounting a plug so I don't have to pop my hood. Anyone ever do anything like this? Maybe a weatherproof plug I can mount in my fender or something with a flap? I even thought of a euro grill with the fold-up emblem? I can put the plug in there if it would fit?

Post up suggestions or ideas. If you've done this, maybe pictures of the install?

#3 ·
I ordered the part above. I'll take pictures of the install and possibly do a write up for any one interested with the winter package or engine block heater.

Now to figure out where to mount it. I'd love to get the euro grill with the flip up emblem...

#4 ·
Definitely a cool idea.

I had something like that installed on my SVT a couple of years back. Then I took the front bumper off to do some paint work and lost my adapter.

I don't drive my SVT in the winter anymore so I never got around to re-installing the plug adapter.

I have the euro grille with the flip up emblem and just based on looking at it, I don't think the female end of the plug would fit behind the emblem.

If you need any measurements off the Euro grille, incase you decide to go that route, just let me know.

#5 ·
Yeah that would be cool. I have a euro grill, just that I don't have it setup for the emblem opening up, it's fixed. I don't have that adapter yet so I'm not sure of the size yet for everything.

#6 ·
I even thought of a euro grill with the fold-up emblem? I can put the plug in there if it would fit?
Your comment inspired me to try it out, and it works! Copied and shortened from my showroom thread:

Then I done did some Dremel'ing:

And now I can do this!

The only issue is that the block cord is currently sitting in the space and is not secured in any way other than friction. This means that I have to open the hood to jimmy everything around to get the cords to plug together, but I can then shut the hood and forget about it. I have the outlet on a timer that starts about 3 hours before I go to work, so in the mornings I just pull the extension cord out, flip the badge over, and off I go! Eventually I might secure the block plug a bit more so that I don't even have to open the hood, but it works fine for now.

Reactions: BLRich1
#7 ·
This is awesome. It would be awesome if it was more secure in there. let us know what you come up with.

#9 ·
Epoxy... Lots and lots of epoxy. I wondered how weather tight the emblem is though? Don't want water getting in there and messing up your plug.

Cool glad someone tried it and it worked lol. Wish mine would fold up.

#10 ·
Epoxy... Lots and lots of epoxy. I wondered how weather tight the emblem is though? Don't want water getting in there and messing up your plug.

Cool glad someone tried it and it worked lol.
Epoxy might work, but wouldn't want to use to much and clog up the latch mechanism. They occupy the same general area, but aren't too close.

As far as water, bah, I'm sure it's not much worse than what can get in via other means. The plug and cable seems to be reasonably heavy duty, so a little water shouldn't hurt anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.