Focus Fanatics Forum banner

My New Dash Project: Pics Inside

26K views 107 replies 42 participants last post by  DieselRebel 
#1 ·
I have 2 gauge cups on my A pillar and have decided I didn't like them up in my face all the time.
I also didn't like the dumb radio kit I have, it kept popping out.
So, I bought a Euro kit on eBay that also came with an awesome antenna adapter and a set of radio removal tools.
First pic is of the new dash insert installed. It's a clip in version that I plastic welded in place.
We can call this step one:

The second pic is of my relocated hazard button.
I cut the plastic out, relocated and plastic welded that as well.
Step two:

And here's the last one so far.
I moved the hazard switch to make room for the gauges.
I have a little more plastic work to do before I break out the bondo.

See less See more
#7 ·
i think the gauge holes are a bit tall,stick out a little to much for
me..but it looks bad ass nice work.

i was thinking of doing something like that but then
it gets rid of the 4 bolts that hold that panel
in and all you have to do to get it out is just
pull it all out

#8 ·
Actually, if you look closely the lower radio sleeve holes just cover the bottom screws. I'm going to grind out the lower spots to give access to the bottom screws. The radio needs security keys to remove it, so I will have some theft resistance.

I'm also doing a push button start, a full boogie version, no key, with security as well.
It's a modified WunGun deal.
I'm using some different ideas and gear, but I give him credit for being the first one to try it.

#15 ·
Norcal, I'm still thinking about smoothing my butt. I love that pic in the thread that popped up a few months ago.

The tubing is PVC conduit I bought in the electrical section at the hardware store.
It's 2" ID so it needs to be ground out a little on the inside to fit the gauges.
The gauges are GlowShift digital gauges, I have a boost gauge and a Wideband A/F that currently are in individual gauge cups on my A pillar.

Still need to fix a couple pin holes but it's looking good.
Parts are ordered for the one push start button, I'm even more excited about that.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.[cheers]

#17 ·
dude that looks frigging awsome! mind if i do somthing simmilar? what angle are the pipes at? thanks

#23 ·
Here's a view from the driver's side and the passenger seat.
No clue what the angle is, I sat in the seat and positioned one and then angled the other to match.
Gauges go in tomorrow if I get a chance.
I can make more but it will cost dearly.
Tons of time into this one.
Sorry about the crappy washed out cell phone pics.

#26 ·
I held the pieces in place with CA glue and then heat welded them together with a welding tip on my soldering iron. For fill material, I used the plastic I cut out of other spots. Very little bondo was used, some kitty hair to start with and a light bit of regular bondo to clean it up.
I've done a couple dashes and then plastic welding holds up best.

I use Rustoleum paint and it works great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.