Focus Fanatics Forum banner

My New Dash Project: Pics Inside

26K views 107 replies 42 participants last post by  DieselRebel 
#1 ·
I have 2 gauge cups on my A pillar and have decided I didn't like them up in my face all the time.
I also didn't like the dumb radio kit I have, it kept popping out.
So, I bought a Euro kit on eBay that also came with an awesome antenna adapter and a set of radio removal tools.
First pic is of the new dash insert installed. It's a clip in version that I plastic welded in place.
We can call this step one:

The second pic is of my relocated hazard button.
I cut the plastic out, relocated and plastic welded that as well.
Step two:

And here's the last one so far.
I moved the hazard switch to make room for the gauges.
I have a little more plastic work to do before I break out the bondo.

See less See more
#84 ·
I had to go look to see that mine was still in my possession.
That's identical to mine.

I sanded the resin and top coated it with bondo today.
The primer is drying as I type.

#85 ·
The stupid paint i was using kept on leaving droppletts or w/e they are called so i had to re-wetsand and paint again...multiple times..it was that krylon stuff with the 360 tip. I think its all good now..just need clear

#86 ·
why change somthing that looks good in the first place right?lol my far gauge sticks out a little farther that yours..i figured id make 1 quick before you put a patend on it or somthing

#92 ·
Dan-O, you getting around to some final pics? I'll have to go check on your starter button thread now too!

#93 ·
Parts show up tomorrow for the solid state pushbutton control. I eliminated 5 relays by using a couple ICs and a simpler circuit design.
Here's a final pic of the dash:

Also, I have considered selling the ZX3, it's actually posted for sale already.
I fell into an awesome Lincoln Navigator deal that my wife and I couldn't say no to.

#94 ·
Wow, Dan-O, very well done gauge pods. I'm convinced now that I need to do something similar with the Autometer Cobalt ones.

I'm sorry to see you leave the Focus behind, but grats on the new Navi!

#95 ·
Thanks and it looks like the Focus will be able to stay in my garage. I have 4 leads on selling our Sport Trac and one of them is my sister that has pretty much said yes to buying the truck.
Now I can still have a vehicle to finish my push button start on.

#96 ·
this looks freakin awesome! i was going to do something like that minus the gauge pods. as of right now i bolted a piece of aluminum to the cuby hole on the aftermarket stereo insert and have my usb port and my radar detector switch but want to get that piece of plastic put in there to make it look more professional looking so i can install and auxiliary cable. where did you guys get the plastic to do so? would give me a nice project while being unemployed lol.

#101 ·
Sweet as hell! The mod looks flawless. Can't wait to see the final pics for the start button.

#102 ·
Has anyone every thought to use Dura-mix to join the plastic and fill the seams? Well its called automix now but this stuff is awesome. There is different types for plastics, metal, FG, urathane, etc. But it works really well. I use it all the time and it bonds permanetly and is just as easy to sand smooth as bondo. If your gonna buy it get it from ebay because its the best for prices. Some sellers want your first born for a tube but its worth it.
That is one sick gauge pod by the way. I love it. It looks factory.

#103 ·
I got compliments on it all the time, it was my intention to make it look OEM.
I didn't want it to look like an add-on pod.

I thought I posted pics but I can't take any now since I sold my car about a month ago.

I did take a video of the starter button in action.

#106 ·
Yup, it's long gone.
Believe it or not I bought a turbo Beetle.
The potential for the car is light years ahead of my Focus.
Don't get me wrong, I loved my Roush but this handles better on a wet road than my lowered, SVT suspension'd, urethane bushed car on it's best day on a dry road.
All this sportiness and still with awesome ride quality.

I now have heated leather seats, power everything, keyless entry and a sunroof.
This isn't my first german car so it's not like I'm switching teams all together.

Plus, I still have the Navi and the 'vert Mustang in the garage to get my Ford on.
[headbang]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.